Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 30 June - 1 July 2012  (Read 54224 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Dunwich Dynamo 30 June - 1 July 2012
« Reply #50 on: 02 May, 2012, 05:10:03 pm »
This was written in 1927 but could refer absolutely to the Dunwich Dynamo:

Our emancipated cyclists often ride all night, breakfast at sunrise, and sleep (when they must) "at the foot of yonder nodding beech."

Especially if you substitute beach for beech!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 02 May, 2012, 05:46:01 pm »
This will be my first ever Dun Run, and in an attempt to be different I will be travelling to the start from my top secret (reasonably) near the beach holiday location containing my good lady on the Saturday.

I'm quite sure in my prediction that I'm not going to be as quick as some of you and would be delighted if I were allowed to join team slow.

You're more than welcome, Dave. I have a tryst with the same lovely stoker that pushed me along three years ago and we weren't that slow - at least, not for the first part of the night. We rather left the official Team Slow behind, but that was the occasion that the magnificent Charlotte completed the ride on her penny and her pace rather dictated that of the others.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #52 on: 02 May, 2012, 11:38:37 pm »
If Phil of this parish will grace me with his company, then we have the nucleus of Team Steady.  Est. Arr. 0730.

I haz the same Xmas Prezzie as last year - one (1) lift back home from anywhere.  That it's at silly o' clock on the driver's birthday seems to discourage her not one jot.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #53 on: 03 May, 2012, 10:04:56 am »
Est. Arr. 0730.

What time are you planning on leaving, though?  :)
That's been my arrival time in past years. I might join Team Steady if I may...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #54 on: 03 May, 2012, 01:24:20 pm »
What time are you planning on leaving, though?  :)
As early as polite to do so.  I set off in the midst of a huge throng last time, still in bright sunshine.  It was dark by the time I got to the petrol station in Epping Forest, save for the continuous line of red tail-lights.  I'd like to set off a bit earlier next time.  (Accurate times will have to wait until I get home and examine my GPS trace from last year!)

That's been my arrival time in past years. I might join Team Steady if I may...
Ooh yes please.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #55 on: 03 May, 2012, 01:57:17 pm »
I still have no idea if other members of the Peewit family will be as keen this year as they've been in past years to drive up to Dunwich and then potter around the sights of coastal Suffolk with a semi-comatose cyclist, but I'm hoping!

No idea as to departure time or speed.  I'll have been at a party in Crystal Palace in the afternoon, so may be taking it easy and aiming to arrive after the cafe opens.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »
Right, I have orange cardboard:  Train home from Diss on Sunday evening.  This is compatible with both Team Steady (ideally) and Team Slow (if necessary) pace, and avoids the need for camping kit or much in the way of a plan.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #57 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:52:42 pm »
Once again I see myself ignoring the advice of the late, great Barry Mason and succumbing to the siren call of the pub, aiming to get to one of the two fine hostelries in Moreton before they stop serving.

But not before I've played the oh-so-cruel Epping road manoeuvre  :demon:

« Reply #58 on: 18 May, 2012, 09:23:17 am »
I'm in.    Train & bike space booked back from Ipswich for late Sunday afternoon. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #59 on: 18 May, 2012, 10:33:48 am »
I must correct my post above which became fundamentally incorrect on the discovery of a concert that evening which involves son #2 making his debut with his new band.  I am half tempted to see if I can make a late start from Beckenham and somehow catch up with some stragglers, but I suspect it's not feasible.   :'(

« Reply #60 on: 18 May, 2012, 12:03:39 pm »
the oh-so-cruel Epping road manoeuvre

what's that??

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #61 on: 18 May, 2012, 12:16:35 pm »
I believe it to be a highly reprehensible short cut involving a right turn onto the A414 at The Talbot public house. Only a cad or a knave would ever contemplate such a course of action.  O:-)

« Reply #62 on: 18 May, 2012, 01:52:14 pm »
I'm afraid I'm still out.

I have discussed with child #3 what the chances of her failing her degree are (this would mean that there would be no requirement to attend her graduation ceremony which clashes).

She has accused me of being insensitive at a time of high stress (exams looming) and appears to have gone off in a huff. I was only making discreet enquiries as to what the likelihood might be...

Chris S

« Reply #63 on: 18 May, 2012, 01:53:53 pm »
I've yet to formulate a plan for this, but I'm considering use of audax tactics (ie. ditch the four panniers of camping gear in favour of my trusty Carradice and keep riding until I get to somewhere with proper trains).

Audacious indeed. Denmark? Holland? I think it's Holland you reach next if you keep riding east at Dunwich.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #64 on: 18 May, 2012, 09:22:26 pm »
I believe it to be a highly reprehensible short cut involving a right turn onto the A414 at The Talbot public house. Only a cad or a knave would ever contemplate such a course of action.  O:-)
I thought I invented it, but Rae claimed to have arrived at the same conclusion independently.  It isn't really shorter, but it avoids getting trapped behind hundreds of flashing lights on an unsuitably narrow series of lanes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #65 on: 19 May, 2012, 08:55:56 am »
the oh-so-cruel Epping road manoeuvre

what's that??

It involves a right turn at the pub which Wow mentions.
Others Who Do Not Know The Way inevitably follow, overtake me and head off into the inky blackness blissfully unaware that the next move is a left turn into Bobbingsworth Mill just over 1km down the road.
By the time I reach the turn they are usually out of earshot - but soon come to realise they've strayed as there are no longer any blinky red lights to follow.
It is only marginally shorter than the conventional route, but can play a part if you are trying to arrive in Moreton before last orders. ;)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #66 on: 19 May, 2012, 09:41:38 am »
I will probably make my mind up on the day.  I have been asked to help sell tickets for the coaches back, so will be sitting outside the pub anyway.  I have however, already bought a ticket for a train back from Manningtree (really cheap) and have a little route planned which takes in two ferries and about 70 miles to get there from Dunwich.
I was planning to recce this route today, but have woken  up with a hangover the like of which I have not had since my late teens.  This is what happens when you spend the evening with two of your oldest, closest friends, one of whom has recently been told she only has a few weeks to live.  We had a great night.  She intends to have a lot of fun and laughs between now and the day.  I'm not sure I will be able to keep up!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #67 on: 20 May, 2012, 05:38:00 pm »
Blimey, Jane, that's a bit heavy duty. Laughs are important under those circumstances.

If you would like some company on your recce ride, if it goes ahead, please let me know. It sounds a delight.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: 21 May, 2012, 11:37:20 am »
However slow Team Slow goes, I'm not even remotely fit enough to do the Dun Run this year.  I shall consider doing Simon's genteel ride the night before and rocking up in London Fields to see you all off.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #69 on: 21 May, 2012, 12:03:55 pm »
It won't be the same without you Auntie C  :'(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #70 on: 21 May, 2012, 12:56:38 pm »
However slow Team Slow goes, I'm not even remotely fit enough to do the Dun Run this year.  I shall consider doing Simon's genteel ride the night before and rocking up in London Fields to see you all off.

I'm shocked. Shocked and horrified. Whenever did fitness enter into the equation?  :o

And, as AndrewC says,  :'(.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:01:31 pm »
Yeahbut I've heard about the kind of debauchery that goes on on those 'genteel' rides...

And yes, what they said.  :(

« Reply #72 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:16:22 pm »
I'm shocked. Shocked and horrified. Whenever did fitness enter into the equation?  :o

Clearly, this man is incandescent....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #73 on: 21 May, 2012, 09:19:33 pm »

Clearly, this man is incandescent....

Actually, I am usualy energy-saving. O:-)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #74 on: 22 May, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »
Blimey, Jane, that's a bit heavy duty. Laughs are important under those circumstances.

If you would like some company on your recce ride, if it goes ahead, please let me know. It sounds a delight.
Yeah- it hit me a bit more this week.  She is dosed up to the eyeballs with, amongst a whole host of other drugs, steroids and is a bit like a rabbit on speed, despite being terminally ill with ovarian cancer which has progressed beyond treatment.  So, the manic jollity was all a bit much in the end.  I hope they get the drug combinations right for her last few weeks.
      However, this is probably not the place for such musings.  I would be glad of company on the recce if you are prepared to put up with innumerable wrong turns and rampant indecisiveness.  Not quite sure when yet.  Possibly in the half term- Thursday or Friday.
And Charlotte not fit enough to do the Dun Run?  This to believe hard is.