Author Topic: Dutch Pootle  (Read 2657 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Dutch Pootle
« on: 03 July, 2008, 03:33:09 pm »
I decided to take the four days off after the August Bank holiday weekend.  I'm going to Mildenhall for the Friday to Monday (see you all there) so I thought I'd just cycle to Felixstowe, nip across to Harwich and the get the ferry to Hoek van Holland. 

I've opted for a night crossing on the Monday, so that Tuesday will see me refreshed and ready to pedal northwards towards Amsterdam.  I may camp on the way - or I may just push ahead and get there the same day.  I don't care.

I shall spend a day or two in Amseterdam and then cycle back to Hoek for the Saturday overnight sailing back to Harwich.

Looking forward to BEER and cheese...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Re: Dutch Pootle
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:03:26 pm »
Hi Reg, I see you're not getting much action on your Dutch themed thread - me neither, ho hum. Well I broke the duck for you... Sounds like a fun one, I'm doing something similar only weeks before. How are the plans for your 'YACF Blunder Through Belgium' progressing?

Regulator

« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:06:08 pm »
Hi Reg, I see you're not getting much action on your Dutch themed thread - me neither, ho hum. Well I broke the duck for you... Sounds like a fun one, I'm doing something similar only weeks before. How are the plans for your 'YACF Blunder Through Belgium' progressing?

Unfortunately, the 'Blunder through Belgium' is on hold due to work commitments (I have to do some  >:( ).  Hopefully, I'll be able to get it arranged for Spring next year.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:07:43 pm »
Spring is good - I could be quite up for that, first tour of 2009.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:14:10 pm »
I've yet to do any detailed planning, but Mrs. Wow an I intend to start our N. Sea circumnavigation shortly after Mildenhall.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:33:02 pm »
I've yet to do any detailed planning, but Mrs. Wow an I intend to start our N. Sea circumnavigation shortly after Mildenhall.

If you're going via Harwich - Hoek van Holland try the 'Dutch Flyer' service and book as soon as possible.  Fares go up as the date goes closer.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2008, 08:13:07 pm »
Seems to me, Regulator, that Felixstowe is not in a straight line betwixt Mildenhall and Harwich.Also I worry that friend Sage will not run his ferry service  between Harwich and Felixstowe if the weather is poor and not many punters are about.

Still you might have need to go to Felixstowe and i should shut up.

Straight route is via Bury St.E,Annie's bike shop at Bildeston, Hadleigh, Manningtree then Harwich.Will gladly post off Goldeneye Suffolk Cycling but need it back by return as i use it a lot.Let me know.

I am happy to buy you supper if you end up with spare time in Harwich. I think i can see the opportunity to dump my geriatric, epileptic dog for a few days in September and have my own pootle. Advice will be sought.Will pm mobile number when new phone contract starts.Same offer open to Wows of course should you start your trip in Harwich.

N

Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Regulator

« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2008, 07:27:25 am »
Hi Moondog

The trip via Felixstowe was a 'first look'.  I shall be getting myself a copy of the Goldeneye Suffolk map - but thanks for the offer.

I'd be delighted to pop in and say hello.

Green Party Councillor

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #8 on: 04 July, 2008, 10:44:18 am »
From Hoek van Holland you could follow the North Sea route most of the way and then just head west to Amsterdam.  Or you could cycle through the Groene Hart, which is the area around Alphen aan Den Rijn (basically the land that's contained within the A2, A4 and A12 motorways).  The bits of the Groene Hart that I've seen are beautiful and peaceful and well worth exploring if you haven't been there before.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Regulator

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2008, 10:57:59 am »
I was thinking of the the North Sea route as far as the Hague and then just pootling vaguely north by whichever path caught my fancy.  I fancy exploring something other than the coast all the way.

Green Party Councillor

αdαmsκι

« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2008, 11:08:35 am »
From Scheveningen you could pick up the really well signed posted LF4 Midden-Nederlandroute route that goes from Scheveningen to Enschede and that will get you into the Groene Hart. I can check on my maps at home as to the actual towns that the LF4 routes goes through, if you want.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Regulator

« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2008, 11:16:37 am »
I think I've probably got the maps - the AWNB folder is pretty comprehensive.  The only two places I really want to go to is the Hague (I have friends who work at the International Criminal Court I haven't seen for a while) and Amsterdam.  Other than that, I shall see how the mood takes me and what the day brings.

Green Party Councillor

αdαmsκι

« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2008, 04:38:34 pm »
I think it's the AWNB set of maps (minus one of the sheets, which I lost it while crossing the Afsluitdijk :-[) that Nienke has and we were used on our recent trip.  Our maps didn't show all the long distance LF routes, which got annoying at times because there'd be wonderful signposts but we couldn't follow the route as we didn't know where they were heading.  Therefore it may be worth checking out this out before you head off.

Regulator

« Reply #13 on: 04 July, 2008, 05:49:37 pm »
I think it's the AWNB set of maps (minus one of the sheets, which I lost it while crossing the Afsluitdijk :-[) that Nienke has and we were used on our recent trip.  Our maps didn't show all the long distance LF routes, which got annoying at times because there'd be wonderful signposts but we couldn't follow the route as we didn't know where they were heading.  Therefore it may be worth checking out this out before you head off.

I bought myself the complete AWNB folder from Stanfords a while ago.  It has all the local/regional routes on cards but then also has a map with all the long distance routes as well.  It wasn't cheap - but has been worth it.

Green Party Councillor

Nienke

« Reply #14 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:32:20 pm »
I don't think I have ANWB maps, mine just have the LF routes on, which should be on the ANWB maps as well. I should have a look at stanfords what the ANWB set looks like, curious now.

As I said TT's thread, if you book your bike on the dutchflyer (stena line does tickets without the train as well, which can be slightly cheaper) you might get a quote without the price for the bike included, even if you tick the right box, and you'll have to pay extra afterwards.

Regulator

« Reply #15 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:56:12 pm »
I don't think I have ANWB maps, mine just have the LF routes on, which should be on the ANWB maps as well. I should have a look at stanfords what the ANWB set looks like, curious now.

As I said TT's thread, if you book your bike on the dutchflyer (stena line does tickets without the train as well, which can be slightly cheaper) you might get a quote without the price for the bike included, even if you tick the right box, and you'll have to pay extra afterwards.

The AWNB set is a large folder, with a mapholder, map of teh main routes and then a series of cards with all the main and local routes on.  It's expensive, but worth it if you plan to travel widely in Holland.

I made sure when I booked the tickets that it inlcuded the bike.  As I'm riding to Harwich I've only booked the ferry and Dutch return parts - I'll pay for the return from Harwich to London separately.

I'm beginning to really look forward to my pootle now.  I had a great time last years, despite heading south (into a headwind) and the very hot weather.

This year I'm heading North and planning to camp as I go*.  Apart from a stop in the Hague, I have no real fixed plans and shall see what each morning brings.

*No sniggering at the back there...

Green Party Councillor