Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 262515 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #2975 on: 28 July, 2023, 01:15:10 pm »
Edit: I don’t think there was ever another bowler quite like Underwood. Left arm, but not really slow. He could make the ball do things on a drying pitch that pretty well no-one else could.

I started watching cricket at Kent in the early 80s so got to enjoy the tail end of Underwood’s career. The thing I remember most about him is his unerring consistency. There was nothing spectacular about his style but he just seemed very difficult for even top class batsmen to play against.

Derek Underwood holds a unique batting record which is very very unlikely to be broken.  He scored his maiden (and only first class) century in his 591st match.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2976 on: 28 July, 2023, 04:22:56 pm »
Crikey! I didn't know he had scored a century. When playing for England, I thought he always batted at no 11, and hardly ever scored any runs.

He played in the only test match I ever attended: a Monday at Old Trafford against India. Edrich scored 100, the last 2 hours or so were lost to rain, India were the opponents and the following day it was just possible to make me out in the very sparse crowd in a photo in the Graun of Edrich hiting a 4. I think he might have been at the crease when rain stopped play.

Edit: (Googles) Ah no -  it looks as though he had been night watchman and he was batting at the start of the day, so I did see him bat.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-england-1974-62274/england-vs-india-1st-test-63125/full-scorecard
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2977 on: 28 July, 2023, 04:50:00 pm »
https://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1984/ENG_LOCAL/CC/SUSSEX_KENT_CC_30JUN-03JUL1984.html

I was studying in Australia at the time, but my parents were so amused that they sent a clipping of the press coverage.  It described him as bringing up his century by hooking the fearsome Garth le Roux for four.  It was another of his nightwatchman performances for which he was famed.  But I see from the scorecard he required assistance from the notable non-batsman Terry Alderman (who recorded his only first-class 50) to reach his hundred. 

Looking back I think Kent would be delighted to have half of the players of the calibre they had back then, although perhaps not on the batting form that they displayed in this match
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2978 on: 28 July, 2023, 06:02:45 pm »
I recall Kent winning the County Championship in 1978, because I was at the final Essex match which I think, had Essex won, would have seen them take their first title, or at least, delay it for another round of matches. As it happened, Essex had to wait until the following season to win their first ever trophy, and for good measure they won two - the B & H cup and the CC. Since then, poor old Kent have won buggerall (well, a couple of minor 1-day events), but in my youth they were one of the best sides. I lost interest in cricket for quite a long time, but since retiring I've found it's one of the things that helps me fill up my idle days, and to my utter surprise Essex have a very strong claim to the status of the Best Post-War County. Their 8 CC wins puts them level with Warks, and behind only Lancs, Middx, Surrey & Yorks. Some luck at the end of this season could see them with another championship.

« Reply #2979 on: 29 July, 2023, 06:53:37 pm »
So Stuart Broad retires after this game.

Along with Anderson, what a partnership.
It takes some ability to make it to the top...takes even more ability to stay there.
Fantastic bowler.

Edit: I think what I admire about him so much, is how hard he's worked over the years, originally coming into the side as an all rounder and that effort has seen him get better and better as a bowler as the years have passed. The fact that both Broad and Anderson were dropped only to be called back just goes to show how difficult it is to get consistency in test match bowling.

Probably his most famous spell, but look how many of these wickets were caught in the slips - good length and just doing enough with the ball to make things tough for the batsman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_91BtaYDwwc

Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2980 on: 30 July, 2023, 01:22:15 pm »
I think that's it for the day, looking at the forecast.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2981 on: 30 July, 2023, 01:40:22 pm »
He pretty much stopped being an all-rounder when he got bopped on the nose.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2982 on: 30 July, 2023, 01:53:39 pm »
Brother-in-law went yesterday with a couple of mates, one of whom noted that getting there was not easy because strikes.  Said mate being able to go to the match because he’s a striking train driver  ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2983 on: 31 July, 2023, 11:20:36 am »
This would be a good day for a quick five-for by Broad, or any bowler...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2984 on: 31 July, 2023, 04:20:32 pm »
Google has Aus with 58% win.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2985 on: 31 July, 2023, 05:32:48 pm »
I suspect they have lengthened a bit now.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2986 on: 31 July, 2023, 05:34:36 pm »
Hiding behind the sofa…

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2987 on: 31 July, 2023, 05:37:38 pm »
Interesting that neither Broad nor Anderson has taken a wicket. When was the last time that happened in a test innings?

Edit: no longer true...

« Reply #2988 on: 31 July, 2023, 05:41:14 pm »
Not going to say what the %s are now, just in case...  ;) 

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2989 on: 31 July, 2023, 06:27:03 pm »
Last ball faced in Test Cricket = 6
Last ball bowled in Test Cricket = Wicket

Fairy tale.

« Reply #2990 on: 31 July, 2023, 06:30:41 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2991 on: 31 July, 2023, 06:31:11 pm »
I don't understand that declaration. It's a 5-day test. Root is still there. Just bash lots of runs until he's out.

Well, if I'd been captain England would have won the series!  :P

« Reply #2992 on: 31 July, 2023, 06:58:19 pm »
Nah, it was that rain in test #4.  ;)

« Reply #2993 on: 31 July, 2023, 08:12:12 pm »
Must admit, first thing this morning, I quite fancied the Aussies to do it. And that conviction grew as the day progressed!
Woakes and Ali did real good.
Managed to listen to TMS all day today. Great stuff.

Said a hundred times already....but it's been such an excellent series.
Garry Broad

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2994 on: 31 July, 2023, 08:59:45 pm »
it's been such an excellent series.

Certainly has!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2995 on: 01 August, 2023, 12:09:30 pm »

« Reply #2996 on: 01 August, 2023, 12:13:42 pm »
I don't know if the pundits got around to adding a rider to Stuart Broad's fairy-tale departure:-

Broad:  Last ball faced - hit for 6
            Last ball bowled - winning wicket

Don Broadman*  Last ball faced - out for 0, reducing his first-class average to 99.99.  The culprit has a stand named after him at Edgbaston.

*  Obscure Australian batsman.

« Reply #2997 on: 01 August, 2023, 12:26:24 pm »
Don Broadman*  Last ball faced - out for 0, reducing his first-class average to 99.99.  The culprit has a stand named after him at Edgbaston.

Reducing his Test average to 99.94

His first class average was 95.14.

Gotta love a bit of pedantry  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2998 on: 01 August, 2023, 01:08:18 pm »
I don't know if the pundits got around to adding a rider to Stuart Broad's fairy-tale departure:-

On TMS they were talking about it as soon as he hit the six, wondering if it was worth declaring just so he could be sure that was his last ball he faced as a batsman, and speculating whether he would get the last wicket.

The way they approached the batting when they came out on Saturday morning was odd to say the least. I suppose it made a kind of sense to keep Anderson away from the bouncers but then it was a spinner that got him out anyway. It didn't have any bearing on the result in the end - though there was a point when I was dreading it going the same way as the first test.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2999 on: 01 August, 2023, 03:06:06 pm »

Reducing his Test average to 99.94

His first class average was 95.14.

Gotta love a bit of pedantry  :P

It's a fair cop, Bobb.  I was doing it out of my head (which I obviously was!).