Author Topic: Why can't we have these? Japanese train hit 501kmh  (Read 3689 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Why can't we have these? Japanese train hit 501kmh
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2011, 11:47:46 am »
Nice.  We'd need better tracks first.

Can you post links/pics?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2011, 12:16:21 pm »
If you do 'quote' you'll see the the link.

That really is amazing.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2011, 12:26:17 pm »
You need straight lines for fast trains, that means tunnels, bridges and moving existing residents. People won't go for it, just so someone can get somewhere a little bit faster. That and it costs a shedload of cash.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2011, 12:30:52 pm »
And the people of Great Missenden won't like it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2011, 12:43:14 pm »
No idea why link isnt showing in my post ???    I've tried a straight link, and also inserting a hyperlink   , it's there, just not showing

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2011, 12:51:48 pm »
Japan is planning a second HST line between Tokyo and Osaka using Maglev trains.

Unlike the NIMBYs here, people actually want the line to serve their localities.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2011, 01:29:36 pm »
HS2 wouldn't be serving the localities surely - after the CrossRail junction, isn't it designed to be non stop to Birmingham?

Mind you, I was definitely in favour of HS2, until I spent quite a bit of time researching the arguments for and against it.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2011, 02:48:56 pm »
Got a link that shows via Tinyurl.  Maybe the forum is alergic to LiveLeak?

Japanese Maglev train goes 501 km/h

That's 311 mph.  Flippin' eck.  :thumbsup:  That will impress even motorbikers.

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2011, 02:53:01 pm »
Still something not right though, the last line of your post isn't showing

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2011, 02:54:55 pm »
My post is all showing ok to me, via Firefox and IE.  Try reloading.

« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2011, 02:56:18 pm »
Strange!  it is showing now ???

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2011, 07:53:42 pm »
Why doesn't British Rail invent a high speed train that tilts at a jaunty angle when going around Britian's rather twisty trainlines?

oh, wait.......   :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9rBcSZb3bE]

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13 on: 23 July, 2011, 08:15:47 pm »
The APT was doomed because of two big problems. The first was that the lines and signalling were not upgraded (indeed they still haven't been for it's reincarnation the Pendolino) so it would never be able to go at 125mph on the railway.

The second was the bad publicity it got when it broke down on the press demonstration. Unfortunately if it doesn't work for the press in this country then it's never allowed to be a success. See for example the millenium dome which by all acounts of visitors during it's operation it was a good experience, but the press were absolutely scathing about it because they were left out in the cold for a few hours at the opening ceremony.

The end of that clip shows the prototype HST/Intercity 125 set so we don't mess all of those things up.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #14 on: 23 July, 2011, 08:28:37 pm »
Pah! It's got a bit to go yet for a record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8skXT5NQzCg

« Reply #15 on: 23 July, 2011, 08:32:35 pm »
Interesting video about the Maglev

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VuSrLvCVoVk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/VuSrLvCVoVk&rel=1</a>

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #16 on: 23 July, 2011, 08:44:31 pm »

That seemed rather old, as at the end they were talking about a decision having to be made in 2005 about proceeding.

And they were quoting $100 billion as being the cost of a Maglev line back then for the 500 km between Tokyo and Osaka, so add on 50%.   :-\

Mind you, I'm certain I remember Michael Rodd on Tomorrow's World in the late 70's showing a Maglev prototype, so the future's still out there.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #17 on: 23 July, 2011, 08:59:07 pm »

Mind you, I'm certain I remember Michael Rodd on Tomorrow's World in the late 70's showing a Maglev prototype, so the future's still out there.

I remember that too! 

« Reply #18 on: 23 July, 2011, 09:17:36 pm »
Japan is planning a second HST line between Tokyo and Osaka using Maglev trains.

Unlike the NIMBYs here, people actually want the line to serve their localities.
The NIMBYs in Buckinghamshire are complaining about a proposed line that won't serve their localities, even if they want it to. It'll be non-stop from London to Birmingham.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #19 on: 24 July, 2011, 06:12:29 pm »
Chinese trains can hit more than that.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #20 on: 24 July, 2011, 06:37:02 pm »
Another problem with the APT was that if you put the two power units required at either end there was a need for a huge cable running between them which was NOT SAFE.

So they put the power cars in the middle. Which meant two buffets, two train crew etc.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jakob

« Reply #21 on: 26 July, 2011, 02:17:02 am »
Pah! It's got a bit to go yet for a record

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8skXT5NQzCg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8skXT5NQzCg&rel=1</a>

Nope:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VuSrLvCVoVk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/VuSrLvCVoVk&rel=1</a>

« Reply #22 on: 26 July, 2011, 06:53:19 am »
I agree with Mcshroom about the Millenium Dome - I was there, and it was marvellous. The Press had daggers drawn for it from the start, and it was deemed to be a failure before it got a chance to show itself.

Regarding HS2 I actually totally agree with the Cotswolds objectors - why should we need to drive a new line through that area?
We have perfectly good existing rail lines in the UK - look closely at the Marylebone line, up through Banbury and Leamington Spa to Bristol Snow Hill. An existing alignment, which has short diesel trains trundling up and down it all day. I used to travel on there regularly - there is more capacity on that line, and why not just electrify that line?
OK, I know it is not that easy just to lay a high speed track next to an existing one - bridges and tunnels are already in place for the existing railway, but surely it is not beyond the wit of man to use existing alignments and stations?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: 26 July, 2011, 07:04:20 am »
Sure. All it takes is more time, more money and more compromises in train speed compared with building on a new alignment. High speed trains require a different design approach than low speed trains; much less horizontal deviation but allowing somewhat greater grades.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #24 on: 26 July, 2011, 09:03:43 am »
I love Maglevs they are eerily stable at speed. It's scary and beautiful.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium