Author Topic: The Zev thread (was "Anybody want a kitten?")  (Read 111046 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Anybody want a kitten?
« Reply #125 on: 05 August, 2011, 02:50:17 pm »
Another proud moment this afternoon: she finally decided that she'd eaten enough and made burying-the-bowl motions, rather than licking it clean with an enthusiasm that could grind telescope mirrors.

She's seriously perky today.  Even in flopped-on-my-lap grooming mode, I had to grab her by the scruff of the neck to get her eye ointment in.  Not that I'm entirely sure she needs it - her eyes have been looking fine since she started washing her face properly (though she still needs help to do behind her ears).

She's taken to playing hide-and-seek (mostly behind the toilet), and has discovered the awesome cat-toy potential of an empty loo roll tube (which, amusingly, she is almost small enough to get her head stuck in).  It rolls around and makes a really good noise on the lino floor, and is just the right size for grabbing and kicking/biting.

Oh, and as those following my twitter feed will know already: last night she discovered moths.   :D

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #126 on: 05 August, 2011, 02:53:30 pm »
How are you going to be able to give her up, Kim?  :'(
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #127 on: 05 August, 2011, 03:00:30 pm »
Because it's the right thing to do   :'(

« Reply #128 on: 05 August, 2011, 03:13:00 pm »
They are under orders to come down early for FNRttCs, and visit her. :)

The implication of this, is that Barakta will have to get the Tandem out, and join Kim on the ride. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #129 on: 05 August, 2011, 03:16:07 pm »
There is, sadly, no way barakta can ride the tandem for more than maybe an hour or two without shoulder damage.  What's needed is an n+1...

« Reply #130 on: 05 August, 2011, 03:22:49 pm »
Have you worked out how she's getting to Croydon? As I said, we're happy to help transport her, but that won't be for a fortnight.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #131 on: 05 August, 2011, 03:24:42 pm »
TimO's taking the opportunity to double his car's annual mileage.   ;D

« Reply #132 on: 05 August, 2011, 03:27:37 pm »
TimO's taking the opportunity to double his car's annual mileage.   ;D

That's actually not far from the truth!

Still, since I'm paying stupid amounts of money to have it available, I should try and use it more, and at least that way the cost per mile isn't quite as insane!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #133 on: 05 August, 2011, 10:58:01 pm »
She's just met Red (occasionally of this parish) and wasn't remotely nervous, in spite of him having the smell of Other Cats on him:

"Hello you're new..." *sniff* *sniff* "Ooh! Shoelace!" *attack*

I reckon she'll get on with TimO just fine  :thumbsup:

« Reply #134 on: 05 August, 2011, 11:01:52 pm »
... but it sounds like I should stock up on shoelaces!

Does this mean she has a strong opinion about sandals?  (ie not being in favour of them, being shoelaceless).

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #135 on: 06 August, 2011, 12:14:09 am »
Tim I reserve the right to come visit :D
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #136 on: 06 August, 2011, 12:33:55 am »
Does this mean she has a strong opinion about sandals?  (ie not being in favour of them, being shoelaceless).

She likes sandals too.  They have wiggly toes in them, which she can pounce on!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #137 on: 06 August, 2011, 04:20:35 pm »
She's even perkier this morning and not finishing all the 1/2 pouches of kitten food which is a good sign she will self-regulate her feeding which is excellent - some cats never will.

It took two of us to do eye ointment this afternoon, me to scruff her a bit and kim to just-do-it and she's not pleased. We'll distract her with shoelaces later!

« Reply #138 on: 06 August, 2011, 04:46:21 pm »
This thread now has 2126 views.... there's a lot of kitteh lovers out there.  :)

Tim will have to install a live camera feed to keep the fanbase happy...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #139 on: 06 August, 2011, 04:47:41 pm »
That's good, if she's not stuffing herself any more, then I'd guess her body is not telling her to eat everything in sight, so she must be a lot closer to her natural weight. :thumbsup:

You do tend to have to be a bit assertive with treating them, don't you!  Talisker never ever liked being given his hyperthyroid pill, but since I never took any nonsense from him, he more or less accepted it, and only managed to spit it out about once a month (at which point he got grabbed, and it went back in!)

Tim will have to install a live camera feed to keep the fanbase happy...

I've already been thinking about it, although I'm slightly worried that a power cable may be an attractive item to play with!

I think I can use a spare old netbook, with a minimal Linux install, and a webcam hooked over the top of the door, so the only cable would be about 6 foot in the air, which I'm guessing she won't be able to get to!

I don't think my ADSL connection will support a live video feed, but I could probably feed a snapshot back to the lab server every few seconds.

« Reply #140 on: 06 August, 2011, 05:18:41 pm »

I think I can use a spare old netbook, with a minimal Linux install, and a webcam hooked over the top of the door, so the only cable would be about 6 foot in the air, which I'm guessing she won't be able to get to!

Um... She's a kitteh! I'll bet she could get to your ceiling light if she had a mind to!  ;D

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #141 on: 06 August, 2011, 06:44:59 pm »
LOL, hopefully she won't be quite capable of that degree of acrobatics initially!

I've got V4L working with a cheap webcam, and camE will grab an image and upload it.  I should be able to use this to post an image to a webserver, possibly with the last n images available on a page.

I did something similar in the past, I had a Axis webcam on Talisker when I was living in Streatham.  It demonstrated that when otherwise unoccupied, a cat will spend 99% of it's life asleep, and the small remaining time mostly eating, and going to the loo!  I think Talisker spent less than ten minutes a day watching the world go by outside, and he had a good clear (if possibly frustrating) view of squirrels, birds, other cats, foxes etc

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #142 on: 06 August, 2011, 08:07:35 pm »
Yes, but he knew you were watching him.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #143 on: 06 August, 2011, 10:46:41 pm »
With the aid of a slightly better camera:

« Reply #144 on: 06 August, 2011, 10:51:20 pm »

Awwww, I remember our kittens doing that :-)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #145 on: 06 August, 2011, 10:52:27 pm »
As is customary to post in these situations...

*SQUEEE*
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #146 on: 06 August, 2011, 11:01:34 pm »
She's completely lost interest in the bath, presumably as it may contain Wet Stuff or traces of Wet Stuff.

What she has discovered is football.

« Reply #147 on: 06 August, 2011, 11:15:29 pm »
This is going to be painful isn't it!

It was bad enough when Talisker jumped up onto my lap, and badly estimated it, requiring the deployment of full claw four paw drive.  Normally that's fine.  When you're wearing lycra, not so much. <Ouch>

I need to get some table tennis balls, cats can go totally nuts bouncing them around!

Oh, and squeee, the cute!

« Reply #148 on: 06 August, 2011, 11:37:55 pm »
She seems to like the bath when someone is in it. Disturbing and cute to get up after rinsing your hair to find a kitten staring at you through the shower pane. I can also confirm that she likes playing with spectacles left on sides and rummaging through wash bags.

TimO, she's a fantastic little cat. You're going to love her, and she's going to like you just fine when you meet her.

Though, jeans for the win on Thursday. Your legs will thank you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #149 on: 06 August, 2011, 11:43:23 pm »
I need to get some table tennis balls, cats can go totally nuts bouncing them around!

We had a load of those for my parents cats when they were young, awesome fun on a hard floor.  I cut a slit in one and added a ball bearing, then glued it closed.  This ruined the bouncing performance, but the unpredictable motion was deemed appropriately entertaining.