Author Topic: The badly-named businesses thread  (Read 54595 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
Re: The badly-named businesses thread
« Reply #425 on: February 26, 2019, 01:39:04 pm »
"A bum steer" is a Usanian phrase, I think. I'm imagining that the name is either a complaint from early settlers who'd taken the wrong pass over the mountains, or possibly from an indigenous language (though that would make it odd to have the same name in California and Virginia).
"Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star."

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #426 on: February 26, 2019, 01:56:40 pm »
I've been wondering how it's pronounced. I'd assumed Bum-pass but it could be Bump-ass.

This ex-resident of Virginia confirms it's pronounced with no emphasis on the 'ass' and a slight southern drawl so it comes out a sounding a little like Burmpuss.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #427 on: February 26, 2019, 02:00:22 pm »
"A bum steer" is a Usanian phrase, I think. I'm imagining that the name is either a complaint from early settlers who'd taken the wrong pass over the mountains, or possibly from an indigenous language (though that would make it odd to have the same name in California and Virginia).

It's a largely American and Antipodean phrase, believed to have originated from American maritime humour about the perils of trying steer a sailing vessel in reverse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bum_steer

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

« Reply #428 on: August 05, 2019, 11:25:49 am »
I don't know if there's a terrible-pun-business thread (mostly hairdressers, I suppose), but I saw a van the other day for Spruce Springclean...  :thumbsup:

« Reply #429 on: August 05, 2019, 01:01:21 pm »
Local builder 'Milk and two sugars'
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #430 on: August 06, 2019, 06:59:27 pm »
'Shard End Glass' in Birmingham - from the suburb of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shard_End

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #431 on: August 06, 2019, 07:13:26 pm »
'Shard End Glass' in Birmingham - from the suburb of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shard_End

Yes. I remember that one.  Unfortunately they moved across Brum from Shard End to Aston a while back.
Still a great name, though.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #432 on: August 06, 2019, 07:14:32 pm »
Reminds me of Burnt Oak Timber I did upthread...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #433 on: August 06, 2019, 08:14:38 pm »
'Shard End Glass' in Birmingham

I think I got a puncture from some of that once.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #435 on: August 13, 2019, 09:36:33 am »
Riding up to my house last night I noticed an advertising board leaning on a skip outside one of my neighbours houses...

Asphire construction and carpentry.

Is it just me or is that what you get the next morning after a hot vindaloo?
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2019, 02:23:48 pm »
Did Glenn Hoddle have a hand in naming this company?

https://www.karmamobility.co.uk/product-category/lightweight-wheelchairs/
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #437 on: October 10, 2019, 02:19:30 pm »
Looking at Google Maps in my immediate neighbourhood I spy 'Private Tutions @ Low Prices' [sic], which is apparently a language school.

I know there are spelling and grammar threads here but to have errors both in a business name...

« Reply #438 on: October 11, 2019, 01:58:13 pm »
SCOOP: Indicted pro-trump Ukraine researcher Lev Parnas told people he paid Rudy Giuliani hundreds of thousands of dollars to work for his firm, Fraud Guarantee.

Giuliani first seemed to admit working for the firm in 2018, then said he couldn't confirm.
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1182481848515121152

« Reply #439 on: October 12, 2019, 04:05:43 am »
SCOOP: Indicted pro-trump Ukraine researcher Lev Parnas told people he paid Rudy Giuliani hundreds of thousands of dollars to work for his firm, Fraud Guarantee.

truth in labeling??