Author Topic: The badly-named businesses thread  (Read 50493 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
Re: The badly-named businesses thread
« Reply #425 on: February 26, 2019, 01:39:04 pm »
"A bum steer" is a Usanian phrase, I think. I'm imagining that the name is either a complaint from early settlers who'd taken the wrong pass over the mountains, or possibly from an indigenous language (though that would make it odd to have the same name in California and Virginia).
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #426 on: February 26, 2019, 01:56:40 pm »
I've been wondering how it's pronounced. I'd assumed Bum-pass but it could be Bump-ass.

This ex-resident of Virginia confirms it's pronounced with no emphasis on the 'ass' and a slight southern drawl so it comes out a sounding a little like Burmpuss.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #427 on: February 26, 2019, 02:00:22 pm »
"A bum steer" is a Usanian phrase, I think. I'm imagining that the name is either a complaint from early settlers who'd taken the wrong pass over the mountains, or possibly from an indigenous language (though that would make it odd to have the same name in California and Virginia).

It's a largely American and Antipodean phrase, believed to have originated from American maritime humour about the perils of trying steer a sailing vessel in reverse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bum_steer

Hell is empty, and all of the devils are here.