Author Topic: Rugby World Cup 2011  (Read 64813 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Rugby World Cup 2011
« Reply #575 on: 25 November, 2011, 09:14:15 pm »
Andy Ripley, David Duckham - bankers
So the most common occupation for rugby players is teacher. That is the explanation for their bad behaviour.  ;)

Don't forget the bankers!!  :demon:

But David Duckham was a good player in an era when England didn't really have any and the Welsh players called him Dai! IIRC his autobiography was entitled "Dai or England".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #576 on: 26 November, 2011, 01:03:25 am »
Andy Ripley, David Duckham - bankers
So the most common occupation for rugby players is teacher. That is the explanation for their bad behaviour.  ;)

Don't forget the bankers!!  :demon:

But David Duckham was a good player in an era when England didn't really have any and the Welsh players called him Dai! IIRC his autobiography was entitled "Dai or England".

Actually "Dai for England" [Yes, pedantic again, I know]

.... and don't forget that Willie John McBride, also a great player of the period, was a banker as well.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #577 on: 26 November, 2011, 01:16:22 am »
The father of the young lady I was courting in the early 90s was an accountant in Leicester and he had several Tigers (and England) players working for him.

Wish I had some interesting stories to tell about what they were like...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #578 on: 26 November, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »
Of a comparable England team:- Bob Hiller, Mike Slemen, Alan Old, Fran Cotton, Roger Uttley, Peter Squires, Peter Dixon, John Spencer - teachers, John Pullin, Stack Stevens - farmers, Tony Neary - solicitor, Nigel Horton - policeman, Andy Ripley, David Duckham - bankers, Peter Larter was in the RAF

Absolutely brilliant team!!!  Those were the days!!!   :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #579 on: 26 November, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »
Actually "Dai for England" [Yes, pedantic again, I know]

Yes, sorry - typo.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Psychler

« Reply #580 on: 22 December, 2011, 10:46:41 pm »
Looks like the message might be getting through to some of the England 2011 World Cup squad

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16308894.stm

citoyen

« Reply #581 on: 12 January, 2012, 03:37:05 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16491793.stm

Can't say I'm sorry to see the back of Shontayne Hape. Slightly surprised Brad Barritt has been called up - didn't realise he was eligible - but he's been playing brilliantly at 12 for Saracens this season, alongside Owen Farrell. Good to see Jordan Turner-Hall in there too. With Tuilagi likely to be out for the first two games, all three should get to play, which is great.

Also surprised to see Charlie Hodgson get a recall - thought his England days were behind him - but that idiot Danny Care has pretty much left the selectors with no option. Would have been nice to see a younger player get a chance in that position though - Ryan Lamb maybe.

d.

Psychler

« Reply #582 on: 12 January, 2012, 08:37:54 pm »
Also surprised to see Charlie Hodgson get a recall - thought his England days were behind him - but that idiot Danny Care has pretty much left the selectors with no option. Would have been nice to see a younger player get a chance in that position though - Ryan Lamb maybe.

d.

I think Hodgson is in for his experience, especially as Flood is probably out.  Hodgson at 10 against Scotland, Farrell on the bench or at centre and then coming on at 10 for the last quarter is my bet.

Hodgson was a great player in his day apart from his lightweight defence but he is probably still one of the best passers of the ball available to England.

So possibly a positive sign about how Lancaster wants to play the game!!!

And Danny Care has saved himself the embarrassment of being dropped purely on performance.

citoyen

« Reply #583 on: 13 January, 2012, 01:23:36 pm »
I think Hodgson is in for his experience, especially as Flood is probably out.

Indeed. Probably a bit risky to go with an all-new back row, even against Scotland.  :demon:

Hodgson was a great player in his day apart from his lightweight defence but he is probably still one of the best passers of the ball available to England.

He's having a good season as well - moving to Saracens and playing regularly has revived him.

And Danny Care has saved himself the embarrassment of being dropped purely on performance.

Yup.

d.