Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 172539 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #275 on: 25 July, 2013, 02:05:48 pm »
YHeM!
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Afasoas

« Reply #276 on: 25 July, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »
got a couple of winter weddings coming up this year in old, dark halls and will need more power than a flashgun..

TBH, if you're somewhere dark, I'd have thought that a couple of flashguns and some careful ISO juggling would do you nicely.  It's when you're shooting outdoors in the sun that a bit more firepower comes in handy for that white dress / blue sky thing.

I picked them up for LEL - mainly for shooting huuuuge finishers portraits onna big grey vinyl 3x6m background.   They're jack of all trades lights which apparently work fairly well plugged in as well as on battery power.  I'll also be hiring some more C stands, a silly big Octabank and some other kit but I figured that a pair of lightly used Quadras were going to be worth buying outright.   I'm also going to take 'em out in the sunshine with just reflectors on Sunday and see how they perform on the road, blinding unwary randonneurs...

Must admit, I've a touch of envy.
Many times I've thought a quadra/octabank combo would have served very nicely - this was captured with a mini-softbox on a speedlight - larger lightsource gives nicer quality fill and saves time airbrushing.

Re-touched a leetle more than I would like, but that's what I was asked for.

« Reply #277 on: 25 July, 2013, 11:37:17 pm »
A right-angled 3.5mm jack plug from Maplins, which I've soldered onto a 1960s Beyer microphone which belonged to my grandfather, the sort of thing that radio reporters would have used.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #278 on: 26 July, 2013, 12:18:48 pm »
Birthday present from my other half -  Epson R3000 Photo Printer - very impressive quality after using cheap printers for years.

Afasoas

« Reply #279 on: 26 July, 2013, 10:19:10 pm »
Very nice printer indeed.
Our faithful r2880 is still going strong - I'm mightily impressed with what it produces - especially the monochrome

There's a real noticable difference as we (I find) in using matched inks and media.

« Reply #280 on: 27 July, 2013, 10:30:09 pm »
Just ordered a gloriously named Dicapac S10. Should enable me to take my DSLR into/under water.
I took my K30 underwater last Tuesday whilst on a hike; it rained rather hard and I didn't cover it up :-[

The screen misted up with internal condensation. Happily, I was able to cook the camera in the sun that followed for the next couple of days, and it seems fine :thumbsup:

Maybe I should buy one of those cases...

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #281 on: 28 July, 2013, 12:12:13 pm »
Very nice printer indeed.
Our faithful r2880 is still going strong - I'm mightily impressed with what it produces - especially the monochrome

There's a real noticable difference as we (I find) in using matched inks and media.

Do you have any recommendations for media - general colour prints, high quality colour and high quality B&W?
I bought a pack of Epson premium glossy and a sample art print pack to try it out.

« Reply #282 on: 03 August, 2013, 09:21:30 pm »
yes i have ordered a canon powershot  sx240 hs digital camera .i hope i can learn to improve my photography .i see such fine pictures on this forum and i hope this camera will have the features to help me  :)   
the slower you go the more you see

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #283 on: 03 August, 2013, 10:08:52 pm »
The most important things in improving photography are an eye for a picture (any camera will do for that) and an idea of what you want to achieve with the picture. After that everything else is just technology to help you get there.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #284 on: 04 August, 2013, 05:45:02 pm »
the to current cameras i own are
1. old and narrow lensed
2.wide angle but slow and prone to camera shake . i am hoping that this new one will give me wide angle and anti shake that works as i do not very steady hands . :)
the slower you go the more you see

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #285 on: 06 August, 2013, 02:55:19 pm »
A Nikon D80 and assorted bits.    :)

Now I just need to learn how to use the thing (beyond 'point & shoot').
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #286 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »
It's like a camera.  Only fatter ;)
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #287 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:34:24 pm »
And longer. ;)

David Martin

« Reply #288 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:42:46 pm »
I has one of those - it does the job quite nicely but is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #289 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:52:01 pm »
I've owned a few pocket digital camera (presently using a Lumix), but this is my first DSLR.  Last time I have a 'proper' camera was over 10 years ago, and that got nicked after a few years.  I'm not fussed about being so far from the leading edge - it was a good camera in its day and will do what I need to do, and more.  If I get along well with it I might consider something a bit newer.

David Martin

« Reply #290 on: 06 August, 2013, 09:41:32 pm »
Unless you really, really have to go faster,  keep it below ISO 400. Bit sluggish compared to modern dSLR on autofocus but a solid workhorse.

« Reply #291 on: 08 August, 2013, 02:18:25 pm »
Slightly on impulse, an old Mk1 "BenBo" tripod, old enough to be marked "Kennett Engineering", to replace the borrowed and relatively unstable Manfrotto 055B that I've been using.  Complete with a really solid ball head.  Should be just the ticket for holding my 11x80 binos for sweeping the Milky Way.  Might even put a camera on it.

Here it is:

Does anyone know a place that sells double-ended male 1/4" bolts (with a nice wide wheel) as the ball head has a female thread rather than the more usual male?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #292 on: 08 August, 2013, 04:11:06 pm »
I've got one of those (albeit a later one).  Heavy, but solid beasts  :)

1/4" threads (a la tripod heads) are standard stuff for lighting rigs and I usually pick that sort of thing up at Calumet.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #293 on: 08 August, 2013, 04:21:01 pm »
Aha, thanks - I'll try Calumet. 

David Martin

« Reply #294 on: 12 August, 2013, 12:05:02 pm »
I have purchased a waterproof case for my sacrificial digital compact (S460). It will be tested on field trips this autumn (if I can get to go on them due to timetabling.)

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #295 on: 15 August, 2013, 03:20:39 pm »
Nikon Speedlight 700 to complete my Nikon kit. Looks like things have moved on a bit since I bought my last flashgun in the late 80's - more learning to be done.

David Martin

« Reply #296 on: 16 August, 2013, 09:12:43 am »
Some extension rings with the right gubbins to AF on my D80.  Apparently they have been delivered but haven't made it to my office yet.

« Reply #297 on: 17 August, 2013, 06:32:40 pm »
Some extension rings with the right gubbins to AF on my D80.  Apparently they have been delivered but haven't made it to my office yet.

Nikon ?

David Martin

« Reply #298 on: 17 August, 2013, 11:02:25 pm »
No, bought them all.. (kaboom, tish).

Yes. They work. Interesting using them with the 80-200, zoom for crude focus, camera for fine. Not quite as sharp as I'd like but not bad with the full set of rings.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #299 on: 11 September, 2013, 10:24:31 am »
Bad News: My trusty Canon G11 dropped its flash function entirely.  Refuses to acknowledge its existence, even.  Not good when you're an adoring dad taking lots of interior photos of wee bairn.

Good News: N+1 opportunity.  I'd been eyeing Butterfly's Fuji X10, and envying the quality and usability.

Bad news: I'd bought that on a bit of a bounce as the X20 came out, and the Fanbois dumped their X10s at bargain basement prices to get Teh New Shineh!  Prices (already a little over the top end of what I'd want to pay, but I'd stretch to for the quality) have bumped back up to almost twice what they were back then. :'(

Good news: Olympus (my fave brand) have come out with a funky new Micro four thirds camera, the EP-5, which will do everything I need and looks great too!

Bad news: It costs about a grand. :(

Good news: They also made the EPL1 about two to three years ago, which, while a bit more 'compact-y' in style, still has a lot of useful functions, and can be had with kit lens for less than half the price of an X10.

Bad news: There are a lot of lovely accessories available, and yesterday, as I was trying to take photos of a distant classic aeroplane, I was thinking of the very compact 40-150mm (80-300mm equiv) zoom.  This is something I need to be careful of! :o

Good news: The EPL1 is sitting on my desk.  Half an hour on the train was enough time, even with a dodgy arm, to get a few settings sorted out (including reprogramming the elephant trap (or single touch video record button, as it is known, placed directly under the thumb) to something less likely to have me swearing and throwing the camera across the street. 

It's a lovely little camera, rather less toy-like than I'd feared for a lower range camera without control dials.  It has a range of features suited to beginners, learners, and (as I flatter myself I am) the more advanced.  I've shot with the silly 'art filters' this morning, set to mono, back to colour, close up (well, not very), done some street photography using the face detect, architecture using manual focus, and basically made sure all the functions I use regularly (and not so regularly) are easy to access in the maze of menus (including the flash).  Actually, despite the menu complexity, which, alongside slow focus, was the key moan about the early Pens, the functions I need are a button push away (well, they are now I've reprogrammed the buttons).  Only one I might need better access to is the ISO setting, but that's a quibble, as I tend to leave that on auto anyway for most purposes.  I hope it's as good at choosing the ISO as the Canon was, which had an easy to use collar that rarely got touched.

I've noticed two things already:  Firstly, someone ducked to get out of the way (they weren't in shot anyway).  This doesn't happen when I'm using my rangefinders or the Canon, and I can't really recall it happening since I used to use SLRs.  Perhaps having a lens sticking out the front of a camera makes it look more 'serious'.   Secondly, it makes a noise.  Almost all my cameras have a leaf shutter, which is, of course, whisper quiet, and great for street shooting (hipster that I am! ::-) ).  But this, like my SLR, has a focal plane shutter.  One of the first things I do with any camera or phone is to switch off any noises, bleeps, artificial clacks or whatever is supposed to enhance the photographic 'experience'.  But the shutter sound remains.  Sure, it ain't as loud as my old Bronica ETRS, with a mirror the size of a barn door that sounded like someone slamming a cell shut, or even the OM40 with a noise that made me blush when I shot.  Not even as loud as my heavily damped OM2SP, but, of course, the Pen doesn't have a mirror to get out of the way.  Still there, though, and I'll need to get used to it.

Let's see how it goes.  For now, I'm pleasantly surprised.  The stuff I'm not bothered about is a bit meh, but might suit others, but the stuff I use seems to be well thought out.
Getting there...