Author Topic: the leaving of Darlo  (Read 117134 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: the leaving of Darlo
« Reply #25 on: 05 September, 2011, 08:38:15 am »
I have told you my thoughts IRL, I will just add good luck matey, send us LOTS of photos and come back safely.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: 05 September, 2011, 08:49:37 am »
I can't think of a better man for the job. Enjoy yourself and ride safely. (Oh, and write a book - please)

« Reply #27 on: 05 September, 2011, 08:50:43 am »
Yes, please do write a book. Good for you - brilliant news!

LEE

« Reply #28 on: 05 September, 2011, 08:51:47 am »
Is this because I didn't organise a Wyke Down Camping trip in Andover this year?

Good luck Deano, the beard should serve you well.

« Reply #29 on: 05 September, 2011, 08:53:26 am »
Well, that was unexpected.

I see nobody has asked what you are doing with the spare bikes while you are gone  :demon:

Do you have some sort of plan for keeping in touch?  I have rellies in Western Australia if you find you need some accommodation down that way, although they don't live anywhere interesting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #30 on: 05 September, 2011, 10:06:02 am »
Have a great time Dean ,are you riding all that way on a fixie.?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #31 on: 05 September, 2011, 10:47:40 am »
You know via PM how Marj & I feel about this adventure :thumbsup: 8)

Marj has already considered the best way to send fruit cake around the globe so keep us informed of where you want it sent to & when.
If you need anything on your travels send an e-mail.

You will be missed.Stay safe,be lucky,have fun & be happy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #32 on: 05 September, 2011, 11:03:47 am »
I will put my name down for the book.  A signed copy, please! :thumbsup:

Getting there...

« Reply #33 on: 05 September, 2011, 12:00:30 pm »
Have a great time Dean ,are you riding all that way on a fixie.?

Ha.  you're not the first to ask.  But, No.  Amongst all the excess baggage I'll have will be some gears.

To answer mrcharly's question, LindaG and crusty will be looking after the Dave Yates, and the nasty-lookingt commuter will be in bits in me mam's attic.

« Reply #34 on: 05 September, 2011, 12:09:31 pm »
Best of luck Dean, have a great time.

« Reply #35 on: 05 September, 2011, 12:20:52 pm »
Will you be blogging or tweeting as you go ?
Just to make the rest of us jealous ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 05 September, 2011, 12:23:39 pm »
He'll be giving regular tweets about how flat it is.

As he crosses the Alps, Dolomites, Himalaya etc...
Getting there...

« Reply #37 on: 05 September, 2011, 12:32:04 pm »
Will you be blogging or tweeting as you go ?
Just to make the rest of us jealous ?

I doubt I'll have the time, and I won't have any interwebby devices with me. I'll save it for the publishing deal when I get back.

I'll send missives and messages-in-bottles as and when I get chance.  Staying with friends and internet cafes etc.

Might be time to re-learn the art of letter writing :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #38 on: 05 September, 2011, 12:43:42 pm »

Might be time to re-learn the art of letter writing :)

yhpm

Gill

« Reply #39 on: 05 September, 2011, 12:56:30 pm »
What an exciting adventure. Sorry we missed the recent rides now.  :(

Have fun and most off all take care and come back safely to tell us all about it  :-*

« Reply #40 on: 05 September, 2011, 02:41:35 pm »
When yer gotta go... you gotta go. Make it the adventure of a lifetime - something to bore the grandchildren/nephews/nieces with in years to come. Best of luck Dean.

I may be able to put you in touch with floorspace in Singapore (depends how long you take to get there if you go that way - it's available until December 2012 at least), [Edit - you'll be nowhere near Singapore... doh] and something more luxurious just south of Perth WA if you need it.

Just keep in touch by posting or emailing something from an internet cafe once in a blue moon. Oh - can we have a month's notice of your impending return so we'll be able to organise a re-run of the York to Tan Hill night ride for your first Friday back in Blighty followed by a Not the Christmas Puddings Ride on the Sunday  ::-) You'll be needing to have a fixie ride to look forward to.

« Reply #41 on: 05 September, 2011, 02:59:00 pm »
Sounds fantastic  , can't offer any advice other than have a brilliant time. :thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: 05 September, 2011, 04:26:18 pm »
Nice one Deano, good luck with it!

« Reply #43 on: 05 September, 2011, 05:25:59 pm »
Wishing you all the best for your travels Dean and total respect for getting out there and getting amongst it....it's what life is all about!

;D ;D

« Reply #44 on: 05 September, 2011, 05:35:48 pm »
Maybe might want to invest in a U3 SanDisk USB stick for launching applications direct from the stick, in order to access your mail, bank accounts etc etc, minimizing risk of being compromised by whatever's on cafe/internet shop PCs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3

It is an alternative to carrying around interwebby thingys, which you aren't.

Am supposing that around now is a good time to be traveling down under by bike, taking into account seasons on the journey?

Frere

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #45 on: 05 September, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »
Bring back the cool wall says I .

LindaG

« Reply #46 on: 05 September, 2011, 06:26:06 pm »
Bring back the cool wall says I .

+1

What a marvellous adventure Deano.  You once told me you don't regard yourself as particularly adventurous.  You've proved yourself right, again.

Don't worry, it's downhill all the way to India.

Keep safe and enjoy every bit of it.

« Reply #47 on: 05 September, 2011, 11:22:06 pm »
Maybe might want to invest in a U3 SanDisk USB stick for launching applications direct from the stick, in order to access your mail, bank accounts etc etc, minimizing risk of being compromised by whatever's on cafe/internet shop PCs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3

It is an alternative to carrying around interwebby thingys, which you aren't.

Am supposing that around now is a good time to be traveling down under by bike, taking into account seasons on the journey?

Frere

Good tip, ta - I have been looking into things like that, but they all went way over my head.

I'm not sure if the seasons'll work out - it'll likely be a bit of a chase to avoid the worst of the winter in the mountains, but I should be out of India before the monsoons hit. It's just timing that fits around PBP and other stuff.

« Reply #48 on: 05 September, 2011, 11:25:23 pm »
but - but - but . . . Rides . . . Motivation . . . CHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!

Avoid anyone who talks about 'The 1st Earth Battalion' or claims to stare at goats. Also avoid anyone who is or appears to be, American. Do not, under any circumstances, wear an orange jump suit.   :hand:

Route advice. Get a plane from Turkey to India or, failing that, Singapore.  ;D

PM me the number of your frame builder before you go!

SRSLY. Have the greatest time, stay safe and make sure you bring back enough stories to dine out for at least a year! Maybe you'll come for a ride out round my neighbourhood when you get back.

luv'n'stuff

John

But those are the best bits!

I'll deffo come round Rochdale when I return - we'll celebrate the Random Rochdale Ride to the Pubbe with Uncle Peter.

« Reply #49 on: 05 September, 2011, 11:34:45 pm »
I'm so envious! Have a great time.

Now I understand the 'explorer's beard'.

Enjoy! Lots of pictures if you can, Dean.

I have shaved the beard off for the time being, but it seems popular with the ladies, so I might let it return.  It'll prob help me blend into Iran and the 'Stans, too ;D