Author Topic: A nice quiet "Laney" route from Caen to St Malo ?  (Read 1019 times)

LEE

A nice quiet "Laney" route from Caen to St Malo ?
« on: 06 September, 2011, 10:32:36 am »
After riding on long, straight, PBP roads I am now looking to do a 4 day mini-tour from Caen to St Malo on quiet lanes in 2012.

Does anyone have a Bikely track (or a list of village names that would define such a route)?

I'd like the final night to be in Dinan, outside of St Malo (because it's such a nice place) and the basic idea is to pootle through little towns and villages, for about 40-50 miles a day, stopping for long lunches, and even longer dinners, before heading for a nearby campsite.  Fast Holiday/Truck routes are a definite no-no.

Martin

Re: A nice quiet "Laney" route from Caen to St Malo ?
« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2011, 11:02:58 am »
I did the reverse (Dinan to Caen) in 2004; don't remember any busy roads to speak of (although many were shut for the D Day celebrations), I used the coast road through Grandcamp Maissy and Arromanches

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2011, 11:05:07 am »
We cycled west from St. Malo and we found that the coast road was busy whereas all the inland roads were very quiet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LeFlic

• Retired and enjoying it!
    • Somer Valley Cycling Club
« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2011, 12:12:31 pm »
I did St Malo to Caen in 2009.
We were on a tandem and kept to lanes as best we could and spent (I think) fours days doing it.
I can probaly find the GPS tracks if they are any use to you.

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2011, 02:32:20 pm »
I did St Malo to Caen in 2009.
We were on a tandem and kept to lanes as best we could and spent (I think) fours days doing it.
I can probaly find the GPS tracks if they are any use to you.

Would appreciate it. 

Any towns/villages/campsites/Auberges you recommend ?