Author Topic: We're winning (getting the masses cycling)  (Read 5689 times)

We're winning (getting the masses cycling)
« on: 08 September, 2011, 03:50:20 pm »
I've just witnessed a fantastic sight.

An overweight youngish middle aged chap on a distinctly BSO (think split frame, full suspension, weight of a battle cruiser) cycling past our offices in deepest Sunbury (not renowned for its cycling culture).

Not only was he holding primary in the 20mph zone, but he had (what I can only presume was) his daughter on the back on a trailer bike - on the school run home. Both had big smiles on.

Fab !
Rust never sleeps

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: We're winning (getting the masses cycling)
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2011, 03:57:33 pm »
Banned from driving?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2011, 04:22:33 pm »
Opportunistic kidnapper?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
We're winning
« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »
I agree with Hatler. I've seem more cyclists in areas where previously there were few.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »
Huge crowds of cyclists passing through Stockwell this evening.  Uplifting.
Getting there...

gordon taylor

Re: We're winning
« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2011, 09:28:24 pm »
I agree with Hatler. I've seem more cyclists in areas where previously there were few.

I agree too. I've seen more cyclists recently - and they've been properly riding "big" on busy roads and roundabouts, not creeping along in the gutter.

Great!

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2011, 09:14:40 am »
On the way home from PBP we diverted into the outskirts of London due to trouble on the Dartford crossing (not just an excuse to take the Woolwich Ferry, honest). A diversion off the North Circular for lunch into Chingford and a jaunt up the A10 back to the M25 led me to see something that I don't think I've seen before outside of an organised setting; more women cyclists than men.

I've read plenty of those Guardianesque articles where the freedom and independance of women in developing nations or from culturally repressive backgrounds is significantly increased by the bicycle. However in an open and free society where this is hardly true, it's quite heart warming to see the elective uptake of women into a traditionally male world. Better so that it's not to compete or demonstrate or seek an equality but for the simple benefit of utility.

Women on bikes, my simple benchmark of an intelligent, progressive and beautiful society.

gordon taylor

« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2011, 10:05:36 am »
Women on bikes, my simple benchmark of an intelligent, progressive and beautiful society.

I couldn't agree more. It's the most reliable indicator of the overall pleasant-ness of a place or community that I've ever found.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2011, 10:25:53 am »
Pretty sure I've seen more trailer runs in the mornings too.  There's even one of these honking great kiddy-rickshaws: http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/69/article13.html :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2011, 10:32:54 am »
If I see a woman on a bicycle in this area, I'll report it in the 'Seen Today' thread. They are a rarity here...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:52:11 pm »
Pretty sure I've seen more trailer runs in the mornings too.  There's even one of these honking great kiddy-rickshaws: http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/69/article13.html :thumbsup:

That is the Winther one so it a) will not be cheap and b) will last for ages and work really well. We had th eDolphin trailer which just about remains the most money I have ever spent on a bike or accessory in one go (costs more than an entry level (*) MTB) and about the best value. We sold it a few years ago after 10 years of use for about as much as a new cheap trailer.

..d

(*) Giant Talon
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 11 September, 2011, 08:41:36 pm »

I couldn't agree more. It's the most reliable indicator of the overall pleasant-ness of a place or community that I've ever found.
One of the grizzled old trad CTC guys I was riding with today mentioned this. His words "And they're not scared of the traffic like they were 15 years ago."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2011, 03:58:28 pm »
I've just witnessed a fantastic sight.

An overweight youngish middle aged chap on a distinctly BSO (think split frame, full suspension, weight of a battle cruiser) cycling past our offices in deepest Sunbury (not renowned for its cycling culture).

Not only was he holding primary in the 20mph zone, but he had (what I can only presume was) his daughter on the back on a trailer bike - on the school run home. Both had big smiles on.

Fab !

And I keep seeing him. When I next see him (and I'm on my bike) I'll ask him 'why' and 'how far'.
Rust never sleeps

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 05 October, 2011, 04:18:28 pm »
If I see a woman on a bicycle in this area, I'll report it in the 'Seen Today' thread. They are a rarity here...
This week I have twice narrowly avoided impacts with such creatures on our nearest cyclepath (I wasn't at fault, honest).
I'm happy to ignore this as statistical anomaly.

[To be fair, I didn't count how many were using the nearby alternative road route, cos I wasn't on it.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: 07 October, 2011, 06:39:06 pm »
Our speedskating team has gone from almost no other regular cyclists to nearly the whole club.  Given that most of us skate on the roads too, I suppose that was a fairly easy conversion.  Large numbers of the skate community are now keen cyclists too, there's been a sea change in perspective, I think.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #15 on: 07 October, 2011, 06:41:59 pm »
On Wednesday I saw a man towing a kiddie trailer through the park. He was be-lycrad, so I assume a regular cyclist taking kid to school. What is it about occupied kiddie trailers that gives me a big grin?

« Reply #16 on: 07 October, 2011, 06:52:41 pm »
On Wednesday I saw a man towing a kiddie trailer through the park. He was be-lycrad, so I assume a regular cyclist taking kid to school. What is it about occupied kiddie trailers that gives me a big grin?

Me too!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pbM0jDXldeM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/pbM0jDXldeM&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #17 on: 09 October, 2011, 06:45:22 pm »
My 18mo loves his trailer.
And it really does bring a smile to peds and other road users. And Motorists seem to give far much more room when overtaking and hang a little farther back when I'm towing the trailer. (though I think the personalised number plate helps.. ;D

« Reply #18 on: 18 October, 2011, 04:04:35 pm »
I ride from Maidenhead to Bracknell a few days a week to my workplace. Up until about 5 years ago a bike on that road was a rarity. Now there are a good 5 or 6 regulars at the time I go. Its a good thing as the car drivers now seem to be more aware, as they have to pass a few on every journey & idiots are not as common as before.
The bikeracks at work are getting pretty full as there has been a good uptake of the cyclescheme. I'm sure the scheme has also encouraged quite a few to take it up, even if fair weather only.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #19 on: 18 October, 2011, 04:12:27 pm »
There's definitely been a significant increase in numbers of fellow cyclists on my usual post-work ride over the past year or so.

In fact, for the first 2-3 miles of my route, from Southwark down through E&C and Walworth Rd, I sometimes find I can't get past the [motor] traffic as easily as I used to because of all the cyclists ahead of and around me. I reckon I've seen >20 cyclists waiting together at the lights at E&C on occasion.  :thumbsup:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #20 on: 19 October, 2011, 01:12:22 pm »

IMG_8795 by i b i k e l o n d o n, on Flickr

#winning
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21 on: 19 October, 2011, 09:48:59 pm »
Take away the yellow lines and the PO van, and I would never have taken that for the UK. Somehow even the trees look un-English. I suppose the amount of hi-viz and lycra should be a clue though.  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22 on: 19 October, 2011, 10:02:30 pm »
In real life, that junction is nothing like that photo, perhaps it's the wide angle lens.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 19 October, 2011, 10:05:26 pm »
I saw a couple of cyclists on my homeward commute today, but more significant was the general lack of traffic. This was from about 4.40 p.m. to 5 p.m. I think there's a bit of a lull then anyway (school run over, rush hour not yet started) but even so I think there has been a considerable reduction in the past year or two.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #24 on: 19 October, 2011, 10:07:27 pm »
Economy's in the crapper.  People drive a lot because it's cheap and convenient; when it's no longer cheap, they drive less.

We're winning, and yay for the recession-dodgers joining the bomb-dodgers in realising what they were missing, but mind not to gloat.  ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.