Author Topic: Whitby - Halloween?  (Read 32923 times)

Re: Whitby - Halloween?
« Reply #25 on: 13 September, 2011, 07:21:06 pm »
I have unfinished business with this one, having DNSed last year's at the last minute on account of Stupid Knees.  I bought light-up skulls for my bike and everything, so obviously I'm up for it.

Choice of bike dependant on conditions.  The ninja goth bike may be better suited to winter skog.

mrcharly: I assume you've typoed the dates.  Goth weekend is the 4th-6th of November.  I suppose that makes this year's theme 'explosives'  :demon:
Their website says 3rd-7th - so I was just quoting the weekend dates.

Tiermat - I'm not sure even tigerbiten made it down blue bank without touching brakes - that 90degree bend makes it a bit difficult!

Kim, if you haven't ridden the north york moors, the hills aren't anywhere near as bad as tan hill. The southerly slopes are just a long slog, nothing steep. You're pretty good at dealing with those sorts of hills.
I may be in for this year.

Last year I was just feathering brakes going into the corners on blue bank and I still hit 49.7.
Being as it hits +20% with corners, I'm not sure if its possible to go down without touching the brakes in the dark.

I liked the route out and back.
Mainly nice steady pull ups with sharp drops on the way out.
Then rolling on the way back.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #26 on: 13 September, 2011, 07:30:58 pm »
Definitely a possible. Or as definitely possible as I can be at this stage - I really need to get some relatively hilly miles in my legs.

If I've got the luggage situation sorted out I may even ride Morticia the Surly ;)

LindaG

« Reply #27 on: 13 September, 2011, 09:06:26 pm »
Can't make it.  Working.  Bah. 

« Reply #28 on: 13 September, 2011, 10:34:02 pm »
I'm now an unlikely.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LindaG

« Reply #29 on: 16 September, 2011, 09:01:18 pm »
Well well. It seems someone owes me a favour. I have swapped shifts and am able to come. It is still the 28th isn't it?

LindaG

« Reply #30 on: 16 September, 2011, 09:05:31 pm »
Just re-read the thread. Damn and blast.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #31 on: 18 September, 2011, 06:46:00 am »
Met Mrs T's Ostrich at the pubbe where we went for lunch yesterday.

Told her about this and she is interested.

Will get Mrs T to remind her when she goes to see her again this week.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #32 on: 18 September, 2011, 01:46:28 pm »
I'm tempted, very tempted.  Having failed or dropped out of everything this summer, I'm not confident though.  But I know the route.  But I'm not very fit. But it was actually only 50 miles or so wasn't it? But I've not done more than 20 all summer. But. But.

I could ask MFWHTBAB how he felt about spending the night alone at mine and driving over to Whitby for a day by the sea/fish'n'chips etc and picking me up. In November.

Or from Pickering, if the trains work out well again.  Or something.

Well, I think that's nice and clear isn't it? I'm in, unless I'm not.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #33 on: 18 September, 2011, 01:57:38 pm »
I'm tempted, very tempted.  Having failed or dropped out of everything this summer, I'm not confident though.  But I know the route.  But I'm not very fit. But it was actually only 50 miles or so wasn't it? But I've not done more than 20 all summer. But. But.
Well, apart from the 50 on the tan hill ride.

It's a slog up the hills, but not steep - last time we had a stonking tailwind most of the way to the moors (and a foul headwind on the way back!).

You could maybe get on the trike a couple of evenings and do a 30 min spin to get some steel back in your legs?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #34 on: 19 September, 2011, 02:34:27 pm »
At the risk of getting random people joining this, our window cleaner might be joining us.....

Maybe we should have a "most unusual occupation" contest for this one, although all bets would be off if TimO joined us :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 19 September, 2011, 02:50:59 pm »
Paging fboab.  Fboab to the wipe-clean courtesy phone please...

tiermat

« Reply #36 on: 19 September, 2011, 02:54:18 pm »
I can always lapse into my alter-ego occupation (dolphin trainer), I use it to prevent people asking me questions about computers when I am on a night out with friends.

« Reply #37 on: 19 September, 2011, 08:41:04 pm »
I'm interested. Especially if I can decorate the bike with random Halloween tat. :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #38 on: 19 September, 2011, 09:03:15 pm »
i'm deeply dubious.  the consultant today said I might be riding again in 6 weeks.  that would be about 3 days before the ride.  that doesn't feel like a silly idea, it feels like a stupid one  :(

tiermat

« Reply #39 on: 20 September, 2011, 06:19:58 am »
I'm interested. Especially if I can decorate the bike with random Halloween tat. :thumbsup:

Of course, it's the LAW on this ride :)

tiermat

« Reply #40 on: 20 September, 2011, 06:20:36 am »
i'm deeply dubious.  the consultant today said I might be riding again in 6 weeks.  that would be about 3 days before the ride.  that doesn't feel like a silly idea, it feels like a stupid one  :(

Yebbut how long before you can bake again? :)

« Reply #41 on: 21 September, 2011, 03:32:03 pm »
I have just checked my callendar and realised I agreed to take my dad to Wales for a reunion with his wartime army pals on this w/end.

Oh well roll on Kildale w/end :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

« Reply #42 on: 24 September, 2011, 01:32:36 pm »
right, by the bonfire night weekend i will be very unlikely to be fit for riding that sort of distance or those sort of hills and this route is too isolated for me to feel happy gambling on it.

however....

....i will be both baking, and cooking, again by then.

and i appear to have just provisionally booked a rather nice holiday let for the nights of fri 4th and sat 5th.  it's about 2 minutes walk up a steep narrow path from the cafe that we ate at last time.  crinklyauntie is possi-probably coming with me on the friday evening, as might crinklyuncle if he isn't doing a big bike ride of course.

so we can provisionally offer unlimited coffee, a proper breakfast, sofas (there's 3 of em, from memory) to snooze on in front on roaring open fires, hot baths and probably cake on the sat am.  and for those who would like to chip a few quid into the pot for paying the rental costs, there's six bedrooms and we're using at most 3 of 'em.  so you could make a weekend of it, stay and watch the fireworks over the harbour (house has an amazing view!) on sat night, get fish and chips from the magpie, and depart on the sunday.

is this a cunning plan of interest to anyone?

« Reply #43 on: 24 September, 2011, 01:44:29 pm »
right, by the bonfire night weekend i will be very unlikely to be fit for riding that sort of distance or those sort of hills and this route is too isolated for me to feel happy gambling on it.

however....

....i will be both baking, and cooking, again by then.

and i appear to have just provisionally booked a rather nice holiday let for the nights of fri 4th and sat 5th.  it's about 2 minutes walk up a steep narrow path from the cafe that we ate at last time.  crinklyauntie is possi-probably coming with me on the friday evening, as might crinklyuncle if he isn't doing a big bike ride of course.

so we can provisionally offer unlimited coffee, a proper breakfast, sofas (there's 3 of em, from memory) to snooze on in front on roaring open fires, hot baths and probably cake on the sat am.  and for those who would like to chip a few quid into the pot for paying the rental costs, there's six bedrooms and we're using at most 3 of 'em.  so you could make a weekend of it, stay and watch the fireworks over the harbour (house has an amazing view!) on sat night, get fish and chips from the magpie, and depart on the sunday.

is this a cunning plan of interest to anyone?

hmmmm. That does sound interesting. I wonder if MFWHTBAB would be interested in a night away as a reward for taxi-service?

I'll mention it, and see....

CrinklyLion

« Reply #44 on: 24 September, 2011, 01:48:47 pm »
Well, there's 2 double rooms (both huge) one of which is dibbed, 2 large twin rooms, 2 attic bedrooms (i think with mattresses/camp beds but me and the kids can take one of those of there's sufficient interest from others.  and 2 large bathrooms, plus an extra loo.  and a big sitting room and a little sitting room and a dining kitchen with a rayburn.  take your own bedding and towels (but we can prob take spares in the car), loads of coal for the open fire provided, clean up ready for the next people coming before you leave.  it is a little slice of heaven, tbh.

« Reply #45 on: 24 September, 2011, 02:00:41 pm »
OK, he seems to like the idea. Can we put provisional dibs on a room? Rough idea of cost?

Provisional to me being remotely capable!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 24 September, 2011, 02:05:45 pm »
Provisional to me being remotely capable!

You'll be, to use the technical term, reet.

(I'll be Marcie)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #47 on: 24 September, 2011, 02:38:27 pm »
I appear to be double-booked.  The local council's fireworks display is Saturday night, so the Rowing Club have moved its fireworks to the Friday.  And there aren't that many club members who a) can be trusted with fire, and b) are expendable, and c) are still in possession of all their arms, legs, eyebrows and faculties, to actually set light to the whizzy-bangy things.

But hang on a minute...
The last train getting to York before midnight on Friday leaves Derby at 2112.  So I've plenty of time to make big sparkly things go bang-splosh (some of the fireworks land in the river), then hie me to the station, wave Psychic Paper, and board a train to York.

Crinkly, Please can I have use of a sofa at your adopted Den from <arrival_time> till <0850-minus-transit-time-to-railway-stn-minus-10mins-faffage-time> please?  Trains depart at 0850 or 1240.  I might need to book use of an urchin as an alarm clock.

What was the best-guess journey time?  Are we departing York Railway station at midnight?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

CrinklyLion

« Reply #48 on: 24 September, 2011, 02:57:29 pm »
rower - i believe the plan is to leave the station at midnight.

is that a crashing space on sat am, or sat night until sun am? either is do-able.

there is parking space for 1 car easily - obv one space is booked for the crinklymotor - or 2 cars if you park very carefully in the courtyard.  could probably get a couple of bikes in the hall if we were very careful (it is an astonishingly lovely house!) and there's a garden and a path alongside the house (within the property gates) where i'm sure we could lock up plenty of bikes with a bit of cunning.

arch - i'm trying to remember if there are in fact 2 doubles on the second floor, rather than a double and a twin as on the first floor.  obv the crinklyauntie and uncle have dibs on one (since without them me and the cubs can't get there!) and i'd already provisionally offered a double to tiermat on the off-chance that mrs t and tld might want to join us on the sat night, but haven't  had an answer for the reasonably good reason that he's currently riding a c2c.... so there's definitely a twin, possibly 2, available, and possibly a double, but i'm not exactly sure at the mo!

house is 90 quid a night.  i guess it would depend how many ppl were chipping in! 

« Reply #49 on: 24 September, 2011, 06:04:25 pm »
I'm sure we could cope with twins.

I mean, no way could we cope with twins, I mean twin beds.

MFWHTBAB will have his car, and is pretty good at parking (although it's long car). Is there other parking nearby suitable for an overnight.