Author Topic: Whitby - Halloween?  (Read 33078 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Whitby - Halloween?
« Reply #75 on: 30 September, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »
The NYM Railway site doesn't give any timetable dates for November :(

I've emailed them to see if they will be running on that day as i'd like to ride the train again :)

Got a reply. They don't run services up to Whitby after October :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #76 on: 30 September, 2011, 07:59:05 pm »
I've only just realised that there aren't direct trains back to York from Whitby, and the options available on the Saturday look rather convoluted (change at Middlesbrough and Darlington :-\).

With this in mind, I'm wondering whether riding to along the cycle path to Scarborough and getting a train from there might be more sensible. However, a quick web search suggests this route might be rather rough going. Does anyone have recent experience of this path? I'll probably be on my hybrid with 32mm tyres for this ride, so don't mind off-road tracks as long as they're reasonable.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #77 on: 30 September, 2011, 08:02:02 pm »
I've only just realised that there aren't direct trains back to York from Whitby, and the options available on the Saturday look rather convoluted (change at Middlesbrough and Darlington :-\).

With this in mind, I'm wondering whether riding to along the cycle path and getting a train from there might be more sensible. However, a quick web search suggests this route might be rather rough going. Does anyone have recent experience of this path? I'll probably be on my hybrid with 32mm tyres for this ride, so don't mind off-road tracks as long as they're reasonable.

to where?

« Reply #78 on: 30 September, 2011, 08:13:29 pm »

With this in mind, I'm wondering whether riding to along the cycle path and getting a train from there might be more sensible. However, a quick web search suggests this route might be rather rough going. Does anyone have recent experience of this path? I'll probably be on my hybrid with 32mm tyres for this ride, so don't mind off-road tracks as long as they're reasonable.

to where?

Oops - managed to edit it out ::-) (now corrected!).  Scarborough...

« Reply #79 on: 30 September, 2011, 08:26:38 pm »
I've ridden it. On 32mm tyres you should be ok as long as it hasn't been very wet over the few days before hand. Ive ridden it on wide road tyres before and managed perfectly well.  If dry I'd  be happy to head that way on 28mm tyres and may well have too now.

I havent ridden it after a damp spell, but have walked some of it, and the problem is more with puddles and dirt than it being soft or unrideable I think.   

« Reply #80 on: 01 October, 2011, 02:12:56 pm »
I haven't ridden it recently - but took the kids down it 3-4 years ago in a torrential rainstorm; don't remember any muddy soft bits - but the puddles!  And it was surfaced in a fine black ------ dust?  (well it would be if it'd been dry)  Sprayed up all over us - we were FILTHY by Scarborough.

I was on a tandem, but would have no hesitation taking my hybrid down it - hey, that's what I'd planned to do :D

A lot of it's on an old railway line, so nice gentle grades  ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #81 on: 04 October, 2011, 07:03:55 pm »
Going completely off tack here, the coffee has arrived, so at least when we get to Whitby we can have a decent brew (Mrs T and TLD will be taking it over with them).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #82 on: 04 October, 2011, 07:54:56 pm »
i think that shows appropriate prioritisation, meself!

so - who's in?  is anyone making a list?  do you want the delights of arbuts (actually they really were delightful last time) for a fry-up or will i be wielding the frying pan?  actually, the latter is probably a bit number dependant, isn't it.  so probably the first thing to do is work out who is riding/staying etc!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #83 on: 04 October, 2011, 08:29:34 pm »
I'm in

I'm currently looking at routes out to the East Coast Main Line - all of them seem to go through KTTR territory  :-\

CrinklyLion

« Reply #84 on: 04 October, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »
you can get a train to 'boro, you know.  although i don't know if you get a glimpse of the transporter bridge....

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #85 on: 04 October, 2011, 08:50:10 pm »
I think I'm building up the courage to ride to Darlo or NTR - both of which would round the trip up to about a century :)

SFUN

« Reply #86 on: 04 October, 2011, 10:27:43 pm »
Deano told me that I have to do this York/whitby ride, especially because I'm such a Goth loving man..
Count me in.
I'll bring some fine belgian beers

CrinklyLion

« Reply #87 on: 04 October, 2011, 10:32:51 pm »
hurrah!

shall i make you flapjack - i hear cheese scones aren't your thing  :D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #88 on: 05 October, 2011, 07:19:31 am »
do you want the delights of arbuts (actually they really were delightful last time) for a fry-up or will i be wielding the frying pan?  actually, the latter is probably a bit number dependant, isn't it.

And, to be fair to those that are staying at the cottage, dependent on the time we get into Whitby.  I very much doubt that CA, CU, Mrs T and TLD will be over happy with a LARGE bunch of cyclists turning up on the door step at the crack of dawn.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

« Reply #89 on: 05 October, 2011, 07:33:07 am »
So maybe an initial foray on arbuts followed by retiring up the little footpath (entertaining in cleats) or a complex navigation of whitby's one way system to the cottage for moar coffee and cake and snoozing and gossip?

« Reply #90 on: 05 October, 2011, 09:18:31 am »
Riding to Scarborough on the Saturday seems a decent option. The route is supposed to be pretty, and  I can get a direct (& cheap!) train from there back to Liverpool.

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksCycle/whitby-to-scarborough-cycle-route
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #91 on: 05 October, 2011, 10:24:30 pm »
So maybe an initial foray on arbuts followed by retiring up the little footpath (entertaining in cleats) or a complex navigation of whitby's one way system to the cottage for moar coffee and cake and snoozing and gossip?

That sounds perfect. With MFWHTBAB turning up at some point, not sure of timing yet, may depend how he feels, whether he does the trip in two bits, or what.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

CrinklyLion

« Reply #92 on: 05 October, 2011, 10:29:17 pm »
incidentally, if anyone hasn't made the connection, SFUN is the audauxer-wot-i've-never-met-before that sent me chocklit in the post.  apparently deano is taking recruitment for the random rides to new levels and we're going international.

« Reply #93 on: 06 October, 2011, 07:21:30 pm »
I'm still on for this.  Will be riding from Whitby to Scarborough after brekky  , then either catch train or ride home depending on how I feel. 

« Reply #94 on: 11 October, 2011, 07:47:05 pm »
OK tickets booked. I'll be at York station at 22:38 and will ride from Whitby to Scarborough to get the 14:48 train back to Liverpool on the Saturday.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #95 on: 11 October, 2011, 08:18:09 pm »
Riding to Scarborough looks like the best of a bad lot, trains-wise, so I'm also booked on the 14:48.

I'll be arriving at York on the 22:54 as per tradition.

I will now endeavour not to injure myself or my bikes in a way that might compromise my ability to do this ride.  Because doing that twice would be even sillier than coming from Belgium.

« Reply #96 on: 11 October, 2011, 08:25:19 pm »
The Belgians have better cycling facilities than us and a much better attitude to it than Brits do. They have wonderful chips & chocolate and their beer is pretty decent  :P ,  nothing silly about any of that. If SFUN is coming over especially to ride in dank, dark Yorkshire in November though that could be construed as reet daft... ;)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #97 on: 11 October, 2011, 09:14:44 pm »
I'm out.

I'm just not fit enough, and I've got no chance of getting that way before the ride. :(

« Reply #98 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:49:48 pm »
Hmm, just been looking at trains. No bike spaces left on the 14.48 from Scarborough - is the 13.48 likely to give enough time to get to Whitby, then on to Scarborough? I don't want to cut it too fine...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #99 on: 12 October, 2011, 08:16:47 am »
It's now unlikely that I'll attend :(