Author Topic: Hope Vision 1  (Read 53270 times)

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
Hope Vision 1
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:44:35 am »
After my first night riding in the BTF600, I thought I'd share a some quick thoughts on my light of choice, the Hope Vision 1 single LED unit.

I chose the light because (a) it looks good, (b) it seemed to be powerful enough and (c) takes 4 AA batteries and given that my thoughts were towards LEL next year it looked like being a choice that would allow me to continue without the need for re-charging and without me needing to the cost of a dynamo system.

The unit cost me £70 and I have to say that it was the best £70 I've spent!  The light performed brilliantly and received positive comments from my riding partner (who had both a Cateye - £70 don't know the model, and a solid light system).

The single LED Hope was brighter than both of Steve's, had a wide enough beam and for pretty rapid progress on rolling, pitch black country lanes I only ever needed to take the light to level 2 of 4.

All in all, from me a big thumbs up for £70 well spent and having seen both the Cateye and the Hope together, there was not a comparison, the Hope is much brighter and much more useable IMHO.  Any light which gives a newbie like me the confidence to go 20MPH+ down dark lanes and swooping descents must be half decent!
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

Re: Hope Vision 1
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 06:45:27 pm »
Can you give us an idea of how many hours the light ran for and how many AA batteries you used (and were they alkalines, lithiums or rechargeable Ni-Mh, etc.?)

goatpebble

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:56:39 pm »
I have just bought one of these

Have not used it in anger yet, but first experiments are impressive. A compact light that pushes out 240 lumens, and for about 70 quid. That compares favourably to quite a lot of upper end stuff at twice the price. More to the point, for touring, it can use batteries you can get anywhere.

I will let you know how I get on.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:25:56 pm »
I was having a look at that light last night, seems like good value.  I could not work out what the round button on the top was for as it claims to on/off from the rear - as you have one have you figured what it does?

Craig

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »
See the previous thread here: Hope Vision 1

Some idea of battery life on the various brightness settings would be good.
And has anyone tried it helmet mounted? I know it includes some sort of helmet mount, but I'm thinking it might be a bit heavy for that.

goatpebble

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:59:42 pm »
See the previous thread here: Hope Vision 1

And has anyone tried it helmet mounted? I know it includes some sort of helmet mount, but I'm thinking it might be a bit heavy for that.

Thanks, I had not seen that. I will play, and let you know.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Coffee snob and pencil fetishist
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:35:33 pm »
Mmmmm - oomphy lumeny goodness  :)

Out of interest, what made you choose it over a Fenix light?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

goatpebble

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 09:45:56 pm »
Mmmmm - oomphy lumeny goodness  :)

Out of interest, what made you choose it over a Fenix light?

Sorry for the late reply. I had not heard of Fenix!

In response to Noodley, there is only one button. The nipple thing is an anchorage for a lanyard, so you can use it as a torch.

It's quite a useful light, bright enough for rural commuting. I was flashed by several cars, despite cycling on a path some 4m from the main road.

It is too heavy to use as a helmet light, and I have an Exposure Joystick Maxx that does that job very, very well.

But for a useful bar mounted light, it's bloody good. It's my favourite for night when I am using my road bike. The hours I get out of it seem quite good, so far. My L&M halogen only gives two hours between charging, but the Hope just seems to go on and on.

ps. if you have the money, the Joystick Maxx, and its more powerful brethren, well they are lighter, and more sophisticated. You can add on stuff, like an extra batttery, and a rear light.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 09:14:42 pm »
Just picked one of these up from the cycle show.  The nice man on the Hope stand cut me a deal as they were packing up to go home.

Couldn't resist a spin round the block when I got it home.

F**k me, it's bright   :o

Brighter than my Fenix lamp by an awful long way  :D

goatpebble

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 11:33:21 pm »
Just picked one of these up from the cycle show.  The nice man on the Hope stand cut me a deal as they were packing up to go home.

Couldn't resist a spin round the block when I got it home.

F**k me, it's bright   :o

Brighter than my Fenix lamp by an awful long way  :D

Just as well I had not heard of Fenix (re. the other Hope thread) !

Glad you like it. I tried it as a helmet light, because it comes with all the gubbins, but it was disconcertingly heavy.

My cycling partner told me off because I failed to dip my lights, as it were, and that was why I was flashed by passing cars. For a light powered by a few pence worth of AA batteries, that must be something of a compliment!

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 08:01:37 pm »
the info sheet in the box says

max: 2.75h, high: 3.75h, med: 8.75h, low: 30h, with 2700mAh NiMh
max: 3.5h, high: 5.25h, med: 12h, low: 41h, with disposable lithium

With regard to helmet use and weight, NiMh rechargeable are a lot heavier than lithium - about the same as the light itself.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 09:37:22 pm »
can you ride at a normal daylight pace on the medium setting ?
the slower you go the more you see

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 06:31:36 pm »
Dunno.  Depends on a lot of things, doesn't it?

I did a rundown test on mine yesterday.  4h30 on high with 2500mAh NiMh.  Bloody marvellous.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 09:03:20 pm »
Impressive. I'd be tempted if my Dinotte was not a (relatively) recent and expensive purchase.

What is the bracket like? Does it fit both oversize and MTB bars? Easy to take on and off quickly and to adjust on the bike? Any sideways adjustment?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 09:08:31 pm »
The clamp's really clever.  It does ordinary and oversize bars through the simple expedient of just removing two little rubber pad things if you're on 31.8.

The clamp is reminiscent of the QR system that Lumicycle uses.  It's ROCK solid and compared to my shaky Lockblock wotsit for the Fenix light, it's in another league.  If you set it loose, you can just about dip it on the move, but the light's so bright, you can set the beam up perfect before you move off, even if it's still light.

I am (as you may be able to tell) well impressed.

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 09:15:50 pm »
Thanks Charlotte. Sounds good.

I have the Lumicycle QR on my Dinotte 600 - much better than their own bracket and less bulky. I have the oversize one and I have use permanently taped-on rubber pads on the MTB bars for it.

I agree about the velcro lockblock for the Fenix - I use a lanyard on the bars just in case. It's never come off but then I only use it for short town trips or an emergency light to keep in the bag.

There may be a purchase ahead as I'd like something that I can just wallop on quickly to either bike, whereas the Fenix takes a little fiddling.

(But on the other hand I have already spent a heap on lights. We shall see once the nights draw in further).

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 01:57:57 pm »
Do you have to remove the batteries to charge them, or can they be charged 'in situ' like the IQ Ixon? :)

bikenerd

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 02:05:05 pm »
Do you have to remove the batteries to charge them, or can they be charged 'in situ' like the IQ Ixon? :)

It takes 4x standard AA batteries and, if you're using rechargeable ones, you have to remove them to charge them in a normal battery charger.
One thing to note: it uses a standard 4xAA battery "magazine" so you can buy an extra one from Maplin (99p IIRC) and stick a piece of foam on the end.  Then load it with 4 batteries and keep it in your saddlebag / pocket.  Then when your light runs out, you can just unscrew the top, slide the spent "magazine" out and load the fresh one, without having to fiddle about levering batteries out of the magazine.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 01:03:06 pm »
I'm looking forward to collecting one of these on Wednesday. 

The Wensleydale undercarriage of my Cateye Single Shot Plus has crumbled  - the second time this has happened with this model, and a problem I've had with other Cateye products - and the nice folk at the bike shop are happy to replace with the Hope.

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 09:32:09 pm »
I'd be most interested in conducting an A+B comparison with the glow you'll doubtless be producing from the southern end of my street, and one of my camembert mounted Cateye's.

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 01:15:54 am »
I've been out for a comparison ride tonight.
Hope Vision 1 vs  Fenix L2D vs Tesco 3W 2AA vs Schmidt Edelux

First off, the Tesco is second rate in this company, but at £10 what can you expect? It's got a fairly narrow beam with not a lot of peripheral brightness. Still a fair bit better than old-style dynamo lights or a Cateye EL530.

With the other 3, there isn't really a lot of difference (at full power). It all comes down to which beam shape you prefer, but I think I slightly prefer the Schmidt over the Hope, and both of them to the Fenix.

Both the Hope and the Fenix are circularly symmetrical beams.
The main beam of the Hope is narrower than the Fenix, but the centre is a little brighter and the fall-off is more gradual.
The Fenix has a comparatively abrupt fall-off outside the centre of the beam, which I don't find quite as good. The colour temperature is also slightly hotter (ie more blue).
The Schmidt lights up what's in the beam better than either of the others, but the fall-off outside the beam is much sharper than either of the others, especially upwards. As I had it set up the top of the beam is horizontal, and the bottom is about 7-8m ahead, with it filling the width of a normal 1 lane each way road at about 30m. Outside the beam there is light, but the sharp contrast makes it look dimmer than it actually is.

On my own, on a flat, straightish minor road with no traffic, low power on either the Hope or the Fenix is perfectly usable at a normal riding pace. The Schmidt is full whack only, which can be a bit antisocial in a group, with the person in front continually riding into their own shadow.

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 05:16:07 pm »
I'd be most interested in conducting an A+B comparison with the glow you'll doubtless be producing from the southern end of my street, and one of my camembert mounted Cateye's.

Shall I give you an advance warning of my ride past this evening? 

I have the light on my desk and my one comment so far is that I'd say it's a good idea to heed the warning about permanent retinal damage.  Even on its lowest setting it's not something to point at people nearby.

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 08:05:25 pm »

Shall I give you an advance warning of my ride past this evening? 

I have the light on my desk and my one comment so far is that I'd say it's a good idea to heed the warning about permanent retinal damage.  Even on its lowest setting it's not something to point at people nearby.

I've only just read this, so I fear you are by now, in the bosom of your family.
But if you're not - or next time you pass, by all means give me advance warning - I'm interested to see this beast.

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 08:17:30 pm »
I've been out for a comparison ride tonight.
Hope Vision 1 vs  Fenix L2D vs Tesco 3W 2AA vs Schmidt Edelux

...there isn't really a lot of difference (at full power).

So then it comes down to battery life. While the Fenix is superb on full tilt, I think it probably only lasts for 90 minutes or so at that setting, which is great for a short commute or emergency light.

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 10:03:06 pm »
The Hope lasts twice as long because it's got twice as many batteries.
Another point to consider is that when the batteries start to lose power, the Fenix gets dimmer. The Hope just turns itself off, according to the blurb.