Author Topic: LED room lighting (again)  (Read 40887 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: LED room lighting (again)
« Reply #300 on: September 18, 2020, 04:27:45 pm »
I think I may have found the holy grail:

The magic word is "SANSI".  They mostly molish studio lighting and grow-lamps.  They mention both CRI *and* flicker in their specifications.

AvE mentioned them in a recent vijaho as he needed fucking bright flicker-free lighting for filming in slow-motion.  "Bet you can't get those in a 240-vole flavour." thought I.  I was wrong: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082W4923M

I have one of these in my hand.  It oozes quality.  Well-ventilated switched-mode power supply visible inside the main body of the lamp, with a heavy ceramic heatsink above with the LEDs around the outside.  This means the light shines sideways in all directions rather than predominantly out the end, which is more useful in most fixtures.

Powered it up, and, well, do not look into 4000lm source with your remaining eye.  Got the flicker-o-meter out, and while it's surprisingly difficult to operate an oscilloscope when you're half-blinded, with careful knob-twiddling I was eventually able to trigger on the merest hint of perfectly sinusoidal ripple.  At 70kHz.  You can tell it's well-smoothed by the way it takes a couple of seconds for the LEDs to extinguish after you switch it offf.  Passes the barakta test with flying colours[1].

Sure, it's only available in E27 cap.  Use a dongle.  It's worth it.

Now installed in our kitchen, replacing the 30W CFL with the 10% 100Hz ripple.  I had to filch a shade from another room, because it's so bright.

Job Fucking Done.   :thumbsup:

I've now ordered some of the 2000lm ones.  The 4000lm is strictly for kitchens with landlord-quality lighting design[2] and as a main room light for hoovering and when you want to find dropped ball bearings on a mottled grey carpet.

[1] The flying colours are orange and purple, in the shape of a ring of LEDs, as seared onto your retinas.
[2] Single pendant, so you're always washing up / chopping in your own shadow.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #301 on: September 18, 2020, 04:49:40 pm »
Arise, noble sir Kimahad!
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #302 on: September 18, 2020, 05:04:10 pm »

« Reply #303 on: September 18, 2020, 05:49:19 pm »
[2] Single pendant, so you're always washing up / chopping in your own shadow.[/sub]
Surely you need a dongle and one of these:-
https://uk.sansiled.com/60w-led-garage-ceiling-light.html

They aren't even expensive. I paid about that for an LED garage light in the shape of a fluorescent fitting.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #304 on: September 21, 2020, 08:18:03 pm »
I think I may have found the holy grail

SANSI update:  I now have some of the 2000lm 18W version.  This one has a more conventional flat aluminium PCB piece of ceramic with the LEDs mounted to it, for a less impressive 180 degree field of illumination (of course that might work better in some fixtures).  Similar well-cooled PSU design.  Colour temperature and colour rendering seem similar.  I measured ripple at 60kHz this time, so it's also barakta-approved.

I await the delivery of some BC22 to E27 adaptors...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #305 on: September 26, 2020, 05:01:38 pm »
Sainsbury's now stock the R63 7w (60w equivalent) E27 fitting, lamps that adorn my kitchen for £5.

I've just fitted one of these to replace yet another from the long-life lamp company.
We will see...

Nearly 2 years on, this lamp has lasted, so far.

The lamp over the sink is flickering like mad. My records state it's a Sainsbury's model, replaced 11/11/17.

The lamp over my head appears to have lasted since before I started recording lamp changes.

The lamp over the kitchen sink, replaced in January, has failed again after 8 months, including all six of the lightest months of the year. That would have been less than 6000 hours had the light been switched on all the time so it's had maybe 1500-2000 hours.

Long Life Lamp Company my arse!

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #306 on: October 04, 2020, 01:28:01 pm »
I think I may have found the holy grail

SANSI update:  I now have some of the 2000lm 18W version.  This one has a more conventional flat aluminium PCB piece of ceramic with the LEDs mounted to it, for a less impressive 180 degree field of illumination (of course that might work better in some fixtures).  Similar well-cooled PSU design.  Colour temperature and colour rendering seem similar.  I measured ripple at 60kHz this time, so it's also barakta-approved.

I await the delivery of some BC22 to E27 adaptors...

And now a couple of the 3000lm 22W.  These have the 270 degrees ring of LEDs like the 4000lm version.  Ripple at 83kHz, so again no flicker.

In summary then:
18W 2000lm 3000K (and presumably all the lower power versions):  Bright, directional light, best for 'spot' type fittings, or above a stairwell or something where it doesn't matter that the ceiling remains gloomy.  Pleasant halogen-ish colour temperature.

22W 3000lm 3000K: Very good omnidirectional spread, though not quite as isotropic as a tungsten lamp.  Works well in the now legendary spherical paper lampshade to provide a bright central ceiling light.

27W 4000lm 3000K: As above but brighter.  Overkill for most applications, but works well for a kitchen or bike-fettling room.

I believe there's also a dimmable version of the 4000lm one.  That would be a good choice if you have a dimmer.  I haven't tested one so can't vouch for whether it flickers.

They also come in 5000K daylight flavour.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/F9B5CA5F-F563-485F-9C26-5BD5A55195CA