Author Topic: LED room lighting (again)  (Read 46366 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
Re: LED room lighting (again)
« Reply #350 on: February 16, 2021, 10:04:37 pm »
At least they're telling you which they mean! Do they say anything about CFLs too? (See also: paper, card and cardboard.)
Faster than a walk, slower than a train, often slightly higher than a person. (David Byrne)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #351 on: February 16, 2021, 10:12:48 pm »
I'll check.
I know paper & card go into recycling, but not wrapping paper.

ETA
The links on the right side of this page land you back on the same page, which is MOST helpful.
https://www.brent.gov.uk/services-for-residents/recycling-and-waste/household-recycling/from-a-house-or-converted-flat/blue-top-recycling-bin/#

« Reply #352 on: February 16, 2021, 10:37:42 pm »
Just for the ignorant ones here (that'll be me), what is WEE and WEEE?

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #353 on: February 16, 2021, 10:40:48 pm »
Just for the ignorant ones here (that'll be me), what is WEE and WEEE?

It's one of those pesky EU directives that's crippling honest BRITISH businesses by making them responsible for the hazardous waste they produce: https://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/weee/index_en.htm
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #354 on: February 16, 2021, 10:49:05 pm »
We buy most of our potential WEEE online.
We're car-free.
Brent's Recycling Centre (aka dump) is 6 miles away.
Taking WEEE to a shop that hasn't supplied it seems unfair and they are probably locked down right now anyway.
Asking D to cycle 6 miles with a bulb or two isn't going to happen.
I can get Brent to collect BIG electrical/electronic items.
But small stuff is a problem.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #355 on: February 17, 2021, 12:05:47 am »
Yeah, ours tends to kick around the house until such a time as I'm going to the tip for something more substantial.  Even accounting for generating a lot more WEEE than the average household (we have a reputation for being able to repair and/or find a home for unwanted electrickery), its a pain.

Really small stuff (component-level parts, bits of wire, that sort of thing) tends to find its way into the household waste, because I'm not going to start going through bench-sweepings and hoover bags to separate LED legs and solder blobs from carpet fluff and bits of sticky tape.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...