Author Topic: Embers Merino  (Read 3607 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Embers Merino
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:07:44 pm »
http://www.embersmerino.com

I was looking for some more merino after losing, (or having stolen, not sure which) my favouritist merino top in americaland this spring  :'(. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the designs on offer at Icebreaker this season, but when I found Embers I decided to give them a try.
Admittedly the women's designs are a bit nicer than the mens.
I plumped for the http://www.embersmerino.com/womens/LS-Owltree-Merino-Baselayer_p166.htm and the http://www.embersmerino.com/womens/SS-Owltree-Merino-Baselayer_p90.htm
(yes, primarily for the owls and the purpleosity!)

They arrived yesterday, and although I can't give a full review yet, I will say:
  • Embers says they have a generous fit and to go for the smaller size if you'd normally choose between two. I did this and it was still quite generous compared to the Icebreaker fit. I have just washed them in case they are a bit more shrinky than Icebreaker but they look like they've survived ok. I would pay more attention to the chest & waist size given than the dress size.
  • The tops are a lot longer than the equivalent Icebreaker ones. If you're not a fan of exposing the lower back area when you sit down these will certainly keep you covered up.
  • The fabric isn't as fine as the Icebreaker tops, but that's not surprising given they're a bit cheaper.
Moar when they've been worn and washed a bit more....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Embers Merino
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:58:44 pm »
I LOVE their knee high socks :D. I wear them almost every day from late October to about March. When it is really cold I wear a pair of liner socks under them and a pair of sealskinz over them. They are fab :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:26:52 pm »
Well, they've been washed a couple of times and they've not shrunk or fallen apart. I like the fact they're not too short in the body.

Polar Bear

• aka Michael
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:29:03 pm »
Nice looking stuff.   I think that I might need to secure my training contract before I splash out though.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:43:38 am »
Thanks, Mrs P
At last another manufacturer of 3/4 merino leggings  :D
The Howies ones I bought in 2004 are getting a little shabby...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:50:57 am »
I notice that they are within a bike ride distance. I do like to see stuff in the flesh before parting with my £ so that's handy

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 08:09:41 pm »
Sale on 10th Dec if anyone is in Derbyshire www.embersmerino.com/blogs/?p=517

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:49:46 pm »
Their short sleeved base layer is just too nice to use under sweaty cycling kit so it is my favourite t-shirt for 'going out'!

Very classy kit IMO.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:50:27 am »
Their merino buff and beany have been an absolute revelation to me, especially the buff which is fantastically breathable but very warm i.e. you don't get that horrible warm/damp/sweaty feeling that you do from the synthetic versions.

Oh, and the wife loves her long socks too - well worth the £18 to turn 3/4 into tights when it's a bit nippier!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 09:45:20 am »
Their merino buff and beany have been an absolute revelation to me, especially the buff which is fantastically breathable but very warm i.e. you don't get that horrible warm/damp/sweaty feeling that you do from the synthetic versions.

+1 to this, I have been using their beanie/buff combo for the best part of this year and can honestly say I am lost without them now.

Another plus is that they don't stink like synthetic.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 03:16:53 pm »
Another sale on just now. Although if you're a small footed woman in need of socks you're SOOL.