Author Topic: Upper Thames - 5th November 2011  (Read 19405 times)

Chris S

Re: Upper Thames - 5th November 2011
« Reply #75 on: 03 November, 2011, 08:09:38 pm »
Yes, just responded to your entry, Frank.

Been out today riding the route with StephenR (who will be recording you all through Chipping Norton) - had a good day, with only one rain shower just before Chippy.  The autumn colours are still good, though some of the trees have completed their fall with the consequential mush on the floor.

Nooooooo! I was hoping for a leisurely stroll amongst blazing colours at Burnham Beeches on Sunday :(

« Reply #76 on: 03 November, 2011, 08:14:33 pm »

Been out today riding the route with StephenR (who will be recording you all through Chipping Norton) - had a good day, with only one rain shower just before Chippy.  The autumn colours are still good, though some of the trees have completed their fall with the consequential mush on the floor.
Mmm, White Lane.
Mmm, mudsplattered face.

« Reply #77 on: 03 November, 2011, 08:26:01 pm »

Mmm, White Lane.

Yes, White Lane is as bad as ever.  But not really from leaf-fall.  Lots of tree debris (twigs) and gravel, and two nasty humps near the bottom where roots are pushing the road up.  Not a fast descent.  This will be included in some notes that will be widely distributed around the hall at the start.

I had to dive behind Stephen at one point between Bicester and Chippy (oncoming car) and got absolutely plastered, despite his full mudguards!  Probably ruined my Audax England shirt.  So boab's comment is apt.  This was red Cotswold mud left by tractors, not leaf debris.

« Reply #78 on: 03 November, 2011, 08:37:29 pm »
I think I probably went down that road in the Henley Hilly Hundred, the 2 bumps sound familiar. Is it near Sonning Common?

It was dry that day and I'd never been down there before and I was going pretty quick and nearly got bounced off.

« Reply #79 on: 03 November, 2011, 09:42:16 pm »
I think I probably went down that road in the Henley Hilly Hundred, the 2 bumps sound familiar. Is it near Sonning Common?

It was dry that day and I'd never been down there before and I was going pretty quick and nearly got bounced off.

I don't know the HHH route, but it seems quite likely that it could have gone down there.  Not particularly close to Sonning Common - just outside Henley

Martin

« Reply #80 on: 03 November, 2011, 10:50:03 pm »
I think the HHH goes down it but not sure as my attempted DIY around it ended in tears (and more) It's lovely and leafy on the Anfractuous and usually just plain skoggy TM on the UT; but the rest of the route is always fine.

mudguards fitted; chain lubed; GPS loaded from 2009; weather do your worst it's going to be a great ride whatever  :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #81 on: 03 November, 2011, 11:27:09 pm »
Yes White Lane is on the HHH. Last year it was right at the start (leaving Bix) - with a Sonning Common start it must be a few K in.

It doesn't bother me much - it's so bumpy I crawl down there anyway. Frost could be a problem in Jan, but not this week <crosses fingers>. It's a pretty horrible road, but a sacrifice worth making to avoid riding thru Henley Central.

(TBH if the event started 2 hours earlier I'd 'long-cut' thru Henley, but it will be busy when we get there, I expect.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #82 on: 03 November, 2011, 11:40:53 pm »

« Reply #83 on: 04 November, 2011, 06:50:43 am »
Anyone really anxious to avoid White Lane (and it is not too bad if you take it gently) can avoid it, and Henley Central, by turning RIGHT at the church in Bix (just after crossing the dual carriageway).  I have not used that road for a while, but last time I did it had poor surface.  But it is not as steep, nor as tree-root-damaged.  You will then travel further along the Assendon Valley road (which is a B road).  In all it will add 2km to your journey.

« Reply #84 on: 04 November, 2011, 11:43:06 am »
Me too. That completes my NRRTY for the year :'(

Hope you didn't make too much soup on my account.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #85 on: 04 November, 2011, 11:58:19 am »
Anyone else on the silly early trains from London?

I can get on at Ealing which makes it not too bad - I'm aiming to get the one that starts at Paddington at 5:25 - the 5:57 does just about get you there, but no time for a cuppa before the start - which is not really the way to do it in my mind.

Looking forward to it - haven't been out on the bike for leisure in a few weeks.  If the weather's been as wet as it was here in London last night/this morning then I'm guessing the lanes are going to be pretty slippy with leaves - grrrrr.  Still, it's pretty warm currently.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #86 on: 04 November, 2011, 12:08:00 pm »
Well if it's like this tomorrow it could be shorts only, just been to Wantage and it's a tad over 60deg  :D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #87 on: 04 November, 2011, 12:10:36 pm »
See you at Ealing BW, Marcus. Yes, I got the 5:57 last year, arriving at the hall just in time for the off, which I duly missed whilst signing on and having said cuppa.

My top tip is to put some cereal and milk in some tuppaware and have brekkie on the train. Thinking about it I may take a flask this year; that will be useful for the ride home. I'll still need a cuppa on arrival though!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #88 on: 04 November, 2011, 12:40:04 pm »
See you at Ealing BW, Marcus. Yes, I got the 5:57 last year, arriving at the hall just in time for the off, which I duly missed whilst signing on and having said cuppa.

My top tip is to put some cereal and milk in some tuppaware and have brekkie on the train. Thinking about it I may take a flask this year; that will be useful for the ride home. I'll still need a cuppa on arrival though!

Brilliant - see you at the station!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #89 on: 04 November, 2011, 01:05:01 pm »
Well if it's like this tomorrow it could be shorts only, just been to Wantage and it's a tad over 60deg  :D
Shorts and sandals were perfect yesterday

« Reply #90 on: 04 November, 2011, 02:07:15 pm »
The BBC are now saying that it should stay dry until 6pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/25?&search=oxford&itemsPerPage=10&region=uk

Martin

« Reply #91 on: 04 November, 2011, 02:20:13 pm »
leg warmers are your friend  :thumbsup:

phil D; what time do the last stragglers tend to come in? wondering whether to go back via the fireworks at Wallingford or finish first?

« Reply #92 on: 04 November, 2011, 02:58:38 pm »
I can't remember what the times were last year (not at home, where the records are) but do recall that it was somewhat earlier than previous years.  I imagine this is due to two rather than three cafe controls, so rather less faffing time.  I think you just need to work on your own "normal" finishing times for a rolling but not seriously hilly, overdistance 200.

Lovely Horse

« Reply #93 on: 04 November, 2011, 03:05:35 pm »

New audax fashion?

« Reply #94 on: 04 November, 2011, 03:54:23 pm »

New audax fashion?

I  may finish later than usual if I meet her on the way round  ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #95 on: 04 November, 2011, 05:18:27 pm »
I can't remember what the times were last year (not at home, where the records are) but do recall that it was somewhat earlier than previous years.  I imagine this is due to two rather than three cafe controls, so rather less faffing time.  I think you just need to work on your own "normal" finishing times for a rolling but not seriously hilly, overdistance 200.

Ah, you are so kind with your failing memory.  ;D

It was the sight of you out in the car park scanning the horizon with binoculars that made me realise I was last...
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #96 on: 05 November, 2011, 12:17:07 am »
Well, just back from a night out and off to bed.

Unfortunately there is a lot of fog about, which could mitigate against getting to the start on time if it is thicker on higher ground.  >:(

Fog and driving 

« Reply #97 on: 05 November, 2011, 05:35:30 am »
Just about to leave the house, 20 miles from start and its damp but calm, not raining.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #98 on: 05 November, 2011, 11:51:10 am »
Just bout to leave waterperry. Partly because I'm ready to and partly because someone smelling of wee has just sat next to me

I've seen boab Chris s mattc and a few others.

« Reply #99 on: 05 November, 2011, 05:47:25 pm »
Well my very first Randonee and what a day for it. Nice and calm and dry. Total riding time 9 hours 20 mins. Suffered with a bit of cramp on the inside of my left thigh towards the end and, bizarrely, in my triceps and had a rough patch between Bicester and the 2nd control into that nagging breeze (can't call it wind really).

Really helped that I was on local roads from Chippy.

Thanks to Phil  :thumbsup: