Author Topic: Fords  (Read 53122 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
Re: Fords
« Reply #250 on: September 11, 2020, 04:03:46 pm »
Ford at New Alresford by Russell Wiles, on Flickr
This one appears to have a grid pattern surface. Tiles, bricks? It looks like it would be virtually unrideable even without the river. What was it actually like?
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2020, 04:07:38 pm »
Paging Jiberjaber to this thread...

hahaha :)  :-*
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2020, 02:34:31 pm »
Ford at New Alresford by Russell Wiles, on Flickr
This one appears to have a grid pattern surface. Tiles, bricks? It looks like it would be virtually unrideable even without the river. What was it actually like?

Looking at the original it does look like bricks with a grid of holes in them.  I imagine that it might be OK to ride through but with a precious cargo on the back we didn't attempt a crossing.   :(

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #253 on: September 15, 2020, 10:15:34 pm »
Ibstock:

I ignored the advice (mainly because there was a pedestrian on the bridge), and Nothing didn't happen.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #254 on: September 16, 2020, 10:45:38 pm »

Waded, rather than ridden. I thought there was no chance of success riding.
Glen Feshie, (Bing maps view)

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #255 on: September 16, 2020, 11:10:46 pm »
Impressive! Was your route the stony path/road on the left or the track through the heather visible directly opposite the path you're on?
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #256 on: September 18, 2020, 09:39:18 pm »
From the obvious land rover track on the other side, diagonally across the river.
It's mostly BB deep, or slightly over. I didn't even think about trying to ride it.

There's also another ford just round the bend to the left, by the rightmost tree, and a third further downstream.
The map shows the track sticking to the right bank in this area, but a landslip has taken it out so there's only a narrow path (on the left just above the gravelly landslip bit). It looked a bit precarious so I took the wet option. The Bing view shows it all (but probably doesn't work on a phone).