Linked Events

• Yr Elenydd: 14 April, 2012

Author Topic: Hir oes i'r Elenydd! (Sat 14th April 2012)  (Read 24549 times)

Re: Hir oes i'r Elenydd! (Sat 14th April 2012)
« Reply #25 on: 08 October, 2011, 06:14:26 pm »
Jogler, not sure how you know that, but well done.

That's 1 off the to do list (by default)

JJ

« Reply #26 on: 08 October, 2011, 06:20:07 pm »
Catherine Jenkins has now moved up the list + others, then the Elenydd  :demon:

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #27 on: 17 October, 2011, 06:46:03 pm »
Brilliant news - my favourite ride of all time. I'll be back again next year!

Martin

« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2012, 12:36:58 pm »
just entered  :) how does the route differ from the old one? I presume I can sneak in a mining trip in Cwmystwyth?

Chris N

« Reply #29 on: 07 January, 2012, 01:36:59 pm »
just entered  :) how does the route differ from the old one? I presume I can sneak in a mining trip in Cwmystwyth?

It starts and ends in a different place, but the section from Shobdon to Tregaron and back to Rhayader is the same.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #30 on: 07 January, 2012, 02:00:48 pm »
Cheers U.N Dulates.

This is on my list for this year and will be a revisit from the last/first time I rode it back in 2006.

H

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #31 on: 07 January, 2012, 04:31:30 pm »
Booked this one in today - I look forward to it, the Elenith was one of my most memorable days cycling last year, so I trust that the weather will behave itself and we'll be basking in lovely warm sunshine all day again!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

JohnHamilton

« Reply #32 on: 01 February, 2012, 08:58:50 pm »
Thanks to everyone who's entered so far (40 as of 31st Jan). Quick plug to say the website is now up with more info and draft route sheet and GPS downloads.

« Reply #33 on: 01 February, 2012, 09:41:58 pm »
Hi Undulates,
If wanting to zzzzz in the village hall before and after, is it just a case of turning up the night before or would names need to be pre-booked?
Great website, hope the weather is as kind on the day as it was on the day the photos were taken.
JJ

JohnHamilton

« Reply #34 on: 02 February, 2012, 08:21:19 am »
I'd like to know please (email or PM). So I a) know how many camp beds to bring along, and b) to avoid having too many turn up (reckon there's room for a couple of dozen or so before things start getting too squashed). There is however, plenty of room for tents (massive field outside the hall) so you can just turn up if you want to camp.

I'll be emailing everyone later today who's entered so far.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #35 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:24:44 am »
I've entered it today John postally I'll probably camp outside if that's ok.cheers

« Reply #36 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:34:10 am »
I've just entered online, :) my first 300  :-\
Can't be as lumpy as everyone says  ;)
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #37 on: 02 February, 2012, 02:54:16 pm »
I've just entered online, :) my first 300  :-\

I am sure it can be!  I only rode the original once, last year and it was one of the best days out on a bike I've ever had, despite some seat-post slippage challenges followed by exploding knees.

The bad news is the old one was lumpy enough, yet the new one is ever so slightly more so!

I'm looking forward to it very much - even that sizeable bump at the end - but it does give us a chance to freewheel all the way home (sorry fixie-riders!).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #38 on: 02 February, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »

Oh, yes it can!

Still, I am looking foward to it,                   ...........I think
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

JohnHamilton

« Reply #39 on: 02 February, 2012, 08:24:21 pm »
The bad news is the old one was lumpy enough, yet the new one is ever so slightly more so!

I'm looking forward to it very much - even that sizeable bump at the end - but it does give us a chance to freewheel all the way home (sorry fixie-riders!).

It's difficult to compare climbing figures without knowing exactly how they were generated. The new one is from a GPS survey I did fo the route last September. GPS tends to give a slightly higher figure than a contour count (especially in places like the Elan Valley) - I've always found about 200m or so increase over my original contour counts when getting a GPS derived figure from the AAA man. I don't know how Dave Pountney's old figure was derived.

But my impression having ridden the route is that it is slightly hillier than the Kidderminster route. The difference is primarily at the end - the return leg along the A488 to the last control is hillier than the route back down the A44 to Kingsland was. And of course there's that little bump at the end, which is somewhat more challenging than Clows Top was.

I would also say that my revisions have made the route slower. Gone is the fast blast along the A456 at the start and (less so) the end. Replaced by a rather lanier route down through the Shropshire hills (although you sneak through the Stretton fault on the way out).

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #40 on: 18 February, 2012, 10:35:56 pm »
I'd like to know please (email or PM). So I a) know how many camp beds to bring along, and b) to avoid having too many turn up (reckon there's room for a couple of dozen or so before things start getting too squashed). There is however, plenty of room for tents (massive field outside the hall) so you can just turn up if you want to camp.

I'll be emailing everyone later today who's entered so far.

I'd like to bring my tent for camping both before and after, though if it's pissing with rain, a spot on the floor indoors would be perfect.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #41 on: 19 February, 2012, 08:39:52 am »
...there's that little bump at the end, which is somewhat more challenging than Clows Top was.

I would also say that my revisions have made the route slower. Gone is the fast blast along the A456 at the start and (less so) the end. Replaced by a rather lanier route down through the Shropshire hills (although you sneak through the Stretton fault on the way out).

Clows Top isn't a vicious climb but it being so near the end and ascended in darkness it seemed to take forever.

The faster bits at the beginning/end were always a fun part of the old Elenith but it's the middle that has the real wow factor. 

Train tickets booked and entry done

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #42 on: 19 February, 2012, 09:32:44 am »

Bad news?  ???

H

Chris N

« Reply #43 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:21:01 am »

Bad news?  ???

H

Quite.  It's not going to be quite as quick from Rhayader on but I'm really looking forward to riding over the Long Mynd in the dark. :thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: 02 April, 2012, 08:37:05 am »
I've just entered this, and see that an update on the website (http://www.audax-salop.talktalk.net/elenydd) says that there is only 2 places left... hopefully thats now down to 1 and I'm not too late...

« Reply #45 on: 02 April, 2012, 09:13:07 am »
.. hopefully thats now down to 1 and I'm not too late...

.....I've having those same thoughts myself.

It's not going to be quite as quick from Rhayader on but I'm really looking forward to riding over the Long Mynd in the dark. :thumbsup:

You say not 'quite as quick' but that still means it's quick, right Nick? Nothing too worry too much about, right?  :)
Garry Broad

Chris N

« Reply #46 on: 02 April, 2012, 09:27:10 am »
Well, the old route was 60 miles of A road (and most of that was trunk road) from Rhayader to the finish.  Now it's 25 miles of A road followed by 35 miles of B/C/D road.  Two major climbs (to 400m) between Rhayader and Knighton then the Long Mynd (450m) 15 miles from the finish.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #47 on: 02 April, 2012, 10:13:32 am »
.. hopefully thats now down to 1 and I'm not too late...

.....I've having those same thoughts myself.

And then there were none. Yossarian, Von Broad, you've got the last two places.

Final route check was done yesterday and route sheets are on the website. Emails will be going out to everyone tonight.

Hir oes i'r Elenydd! (Sat 14th April 2012)
« Reply #48 on: 03 April, 2012, 10:58:02 am »
I'm in

Looks like a fantastic route. I've always liked riding in Wales, so really looking forward to it.

Gonna ECE my way from home (Derby) to the start too, makes it a non too shoddy 500km & the furthest I've ever ridden.

Fingers crossed for the weather.
I've seen the photos from previous years - ranging from gorgeous spring days to pushing a van out of the car park in the snow.

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #49 on: 03 April, 2012, 03:51:35 pm »
Bollox .........too late.....................let me know if any fall outs
Purely ride fixed