Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 146322 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #925 on: November 19, 2017, 06:40:10 pm »
Park Like a Fud Sunday in FurryBootToon. It's fuds all the way down.

IMG_0067_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #926 on: November 25, 2017, 04:56:36 pm »
This driver's neighbours in Swindon were so impressed by his/her parking that they got out the yellow paint.  I think you can guess what the pixellated word might be.

imgID135461227.jpg.gallery by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #927 on: November 25, 2017, 06:36:29 pm »
^ That is decent  ;D

Out of interest - one for the legal eagles - is it actually against the law to stop, or park (and leave the car) across someone's driveway? There are no lines at all on my side of the road (double yellows on the opposite side) but the amount of fuds parking across our drive recently is doing my head in. Earlier this year I had to do some serious leaning on the horn to get a fud of a Tesco delivery driver to move his truck (he had ample room to delivery whatever shit to my neighbours by simply stopping 10 metres west of where he'd stopped) and I've had a fair few outburst at parents (usually orange) picking up their kids doing the same thing.  Or is it fair game?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #928 on: November 25, 2017, 06:42:51 pm »
AIUI if you park across someone's drive you are causing an obstruction and therefore they are entitled to move your vehicle (in a legal way - ie if you drive it you need to be insured).  I did this once quite a few years ago when a delivery driver parked across out drive to save himself the extra 10 yards walk to the village shop.  He eventually came out to find his van quite a way up the road with the door open the engine running and it was not particularly close to the kerb.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #929 on: November 25, 2017, 06:48:50 pm »
I don't get bobb's  picture.   I see no driveway.  What are they doing wrong?
Is it because the image is too small on my phone?
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #930 on: November 25, 2017, 06:51:46 pm »
I don't know the answer to your question, but at my former workplace, the entrance gates to the site were the width of a normal 2-lane street.
Immediately inside the gates, the road turns 90 degrees right.
HGV access requires the full width of the entrance gate.

The parking was sometimes a bit 'fraught', with cars parked on-street outside the gates, right up to the gates.
On one occasion, someone parked *in* the gates.
This blocked HGV access.

The vehicle was moved with extreme prejudice, and I seem to recall a fork lift may have been involved.
It was just a shame they didn't leave it sat on top of a 20 foot container.

« Reply #931 on: November 26, 2017, 08:04:03 pm »
They are parked on double yellows.

At a guess, it is one of those streets where the parking alternates sides. If people park on both sides, cars can't get through.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #932 on: November 26, 2017, 11:38:20 pm »

Out of interest - one for the legal eagles - is it actually against the law to stop, or park (and leave the car) across someone's driveway?

I is not a lawyer, but round our way blocking you access to your driveway is practically* unenforceable but blocking you in, is fair game for the artists formerly known as traffic wardens. The local coonsull rely on the fact that the offending blocker is blocking access to a public highway. The lines, in their view, are irrelevant, as long as it is a recognised/recognisable dropped kerb. Speaking from experience. We dropped our kerb, sent a cheque for lines to be painted, then got told they aren't going to bother^ as the lines are merely for guidance and are unenforceable.

* Inasmuch that the will of the local enforcement is negligible to act on it.

^ "Cuts to local government... not worth it... subsidising the lines..." They still have our cheque.
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #933 on: November 27, 2017, 01:37:17 am »
They are parked on double yellows.

At a guess, it is one of those streets where the parking alternates sides. If people park on both sides, cars can't get through.

The old marital place had a convention of only parking on one side for the same reason, but there would always be one person who would insist that they had to be different.

Where I used to live in Dover, there was a consummate dickhead who always parked squarely in front of his house. If there were two spaces available, he parked in the middle of the tow, so as to occupy both, and with regular drain-related flooding, he even ignored the 'don't park here' signs that went up because twunt.

Where he parked was by a drain cover. They removed his car. We all laughed.

Down the road from him was someone who had been given their own disabled space, or perhaps marked it out themselves. They would park their car on the footpath, level with the 'disabled' box. Looking at Streetview, I see the box is still there, and is clearly being ignored (West end of Barton Road, Dover)
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #934 on: November 27, 2017, 02:39:46 pm »
Out of interest - one for the legal eagles - is it actually against the law to stop, or park (and leave the car) across someone's driveway?
Highway Code Rule 243
DO NOT stop or park:

-near a school entrance
-anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
-at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
-on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
-opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
-near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
-opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
-where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
-where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
-in front of an entrance to a property
-on a bend
-where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities

except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

« Reply #935 on: November 27, 2017, 04:09:40 pm »
I love the do not park within 32 feet of a junction one. In our village people visiting the pub park right on the junction with the car frequently sticking out into the junction by several feet.
Often there will be three cars parked illegally n the junction at once. Not once in the twenty years I have lived here has anyone got a ticket for doing this even though a traffic cop lives n the village and drives past this almost every day.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #936 on: November 27, 2017, 09:05:25 pm »
I love the do not park within 32 feet of a junction one. In our village people visiting the pub park right on the junction with the car frequently sticking out into the junction by several feet.
Often there will be three cars parked illegally n the junction at once. Not once in the twenty years I have lived here has anyone got a ticket for doing this even though a traffic cop lives n the village and drives past this almost every day.

A constant problem in these parts. Council thought they could resolve by painting double yellow lines around the junctions - of course, the cars circumvented that by parking on the pavement on the junction  :facepalm: . Most of the others on that list are broken daily on the same road - what do you expect with three schools on the road !

fuzzy (retd.) AAGE

• SWMBO's Toy Boy.
  • Apprentice Leathery Old Git
    • The Secret Cyclist blog
« Reply #937 on: November 27, 2017, 10:24:54 pm »
Parking on the pavement/verge or whatever doesn't circumvent the double yellow lines. The lines indicate no parking on that part of the highway. The highway extends from margin to margin not kerb to kerb so, if the road is between two hedges, with a 6 foot grass verge then pavement then kerb then road, the restriction is effective right up to the hedges.
Quote from: tatanab
The mark of a true cyclist - prepared to try anything on offer

If it ain't bad for you it ain't worth doing

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #938 on: November 28, 2017, 10:11:35 pm »
If only it were enforced, fuzzy...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #939 on: November 29, 2017, 04:32:17 am »
There are signs strapped to the lamp-posts in the neighbourhood warning that parking will be be Policely Forbidden on various days over the next fortnight or so because some kind of roadworks.  Today's street was just as full of parked cars as usual, though there was no evidence of brawny labourers drinking tea and leaning on their shovels either.  It's our turn next week.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #940 on: December 02, 2017, 10:24:31 am »

A Cheshire pub car park

'I've got a Jag - why not  flaunt it !'

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #941 on: December 02, 2017, 02:09:36 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #942 on: December 04, 2017, 11:05:32 am »
https://youtu.be/5RXtlhqZ-7Y

Parks in disabled space then drives off with clamp still on car.
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #943 on: December 04, 2017, 11:32:45 am »
This is remarkable; a car gets towed away for blocking the pavement (no yellow lines)! And on a Sunday!
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/car-towed-pavement-parking-police-871316
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

« Reply #944 on: December 04, 2017, 12:28:43 pm »

I didn't post a picture. It was just a question...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #945 on: December 04, 2017, 12:34:49 pm »
Sorry bobb, my mistake.  It was Roger's picture.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #946 on: December 05, 2017, 09:49:53 am »
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #947 on: December 05, 2017, 09:58:41 am »
Is that Joe's Bakery again?

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #948 on: December 05, 2017, 10:54:10 am »
Is that Joe's Bakery again?

Not this time (could fill a whole album with JtB's pavement parking). It's the Clean Bean Launderette Cafe just up the road.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #949 on: December 05, 2017, 12:37:47 pm »

Right foot on the tyre, left foot on the top of the bonnet, right on the wing mirror, grab the aerial with the left hand and haul yourself onto the roof, shuffle across to the other side and descend in reverse?
L'enfer, c'est les autos.