Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 147346 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #950 on: December 05, 2017, 01:15:30 pm »
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #951 on: December 05, 2017, 01:38:24 pm »
I'll just leave this here: https://twitter.com/bbcmtd/status/937738979520253953
WTF is happening with West Midlands Police (or Mercia Cops or whatever they're called)? It's almost as if they've been infected by common sense or something. Are they no longer associated with other UK police forces? A sort of Policexit? Or has Barakta been grinking them?
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #952 on: December 05, 2017, 01:41:02 pm »
TBH, I think it's just Ossifers Hudson and Hobson being uncharacteristically sensible.  Don't think they represent the force as a whole, though I suspect some of the sense is creeping out to the rest of the traffic unit (which is probably about 4 of them).

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #953 on: December 05, 2017, 01:43:13 pm »
Are they the same ones doing the Close Pass scheme (or was that Thomson and Thompson?)
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #954 on: December 05, 2017, 01:43:34 pm »
Are they the same ones doing the Close Pass scheme (or was that Thomson and Thompson?)

The very same.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #955 on: December 06, 2017, 11:19:32 am »
Yay!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

fuzzy (retd.) AAGE

• SWMBO's Toy Boy.
  • Apprentice Leathery Old Git
    • The Secret Cyclist blog
« Reply #956 on: December 07, 2017, 02:36:40 pm »
Yeahbut, why aren't they off tackling real crime like rape, murder and burglarizing?

(Just in case-  ;) )

Well done them :thumbsup:
Quote from: tatanab
The mark of a true cyclist - prepared to try anything on offer

If it ain't bad for you it ain't worth doing

« Reply #957 on: December 08, 2017, 08:45:57 am »
Seen on twitter this morning:
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #958 on: December 08, 2017, 12:11:54 pm »
This is remarkable; a car gets towed away for blocking the pavement (no yellow lines)! And on a Sunday!
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/car-towed-pavement-parking-police-871316

Finally a little ray of sunlight. A pity they don't do it around here. Then crush the cars.

Pavements for people. Block this militant pedestrian and I leave a bootprint on your paintwork.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #959 on: December 08, 2017, 01:15:10 pm »
Not my image: copied from here : "Courtesy of @Monymusk on Twitter:"

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #960 on: December 08, 2017, 01:27:07 pm »
Aren't some of these really: "People who park inconveniently"? The vehicle(s) can be negotiated.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #961 on: December 08, 2017, 06:03:57 pm »
Not my image: copied from here : "Courtesy of @Monymusk on Twitter:"

That's not Monymusk  ;)

« Reply #962 on: December 08, 2017, 06:35:24 pm »
Aren't some of these really: "People who park inconveniently"? The vehicle(s) can be negotiated.

I would say somebody who parks inconveniently is a Fud.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #963 on: December 08, 2017, 11:06:46 pm »

Try it in a wheelchair which is 2 feet wide and has 8 inch front castor wheels, please!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #964 on: December 08, 2017, 11:08:55 pm »

Quite.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #965 on: December 08, 2017, 11:12:52 pm »

Also, if they can be negiotiated then let them be negiotiated on the road by other motorists.
Pavements are for pedestrians, not motons.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #966 on: December 08, 2017, 11:16:23 pm »

Quite.

Fuddishness fails to comprehend that what appears minimally inconvenient to them might be impassable to others.

8 inch castor wheels stop DEAD at a 2 inch step.

Power chairs have smaller front wheels.

Human-powered cargo carriers might have LONG wheelbases and big turning radii...

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #967 on: December 11, 2017, 10:13:58 am »

Also, if they can be negiotiated then let them be negiotiated on the road by other motorists.
Pavements are for pedestrians, not motons.

I had a discussion yesterday with a Sainsbury's delivery driver parked across the pavement as I took a stroll, pointed out was completely blocking the pavement and he said he didn't want to obstruct the road. This was an empty two lane road and really wouldn't have imposed any hindrance on drivers. Whereas I, as a pedestrian, have to step out into the road (and I can't see what's coming because there's a big van in my way). Frankly I shouldn't have to step into traffic. I was polite but he didn't, tbh, seem to get it.

But yes, it's not just inconvenient if you're in a wheelchair, have any other kind of mobility issue, limited vision, or just happen to pushing a buggy. Negotiating around cars makes the urban environment worse for us all and puts people off walking.

Pavements are for people, let's get vehicles off them. If there's no room to park on the road, there's no room to park. Go somewhere else.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #968 on: December 11, 2017, 10:50:53 am »
That's not Monymusk  ;)
???
Is Monymusk a place? All I meant was, the picture I had posted was, according to the place I copied it from, originally posted on Twitter by a person using the pseudonym @Monymusk.

Riggers

« Reply #969 on: December 11, 2017, 12:00:47 pm »
I retract my question. It was akin to booting a wasp's nest!

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #970 on: December 11, 2017, 12:43:17 pm »
It's a bugbear round here, it's impossible to walk to the train station without walking around a badly parked car. Quite oddly along one section of the road they half on the pavement to allow 1.5 lanes of road to be free, so there's no point, two cars can't pass anyway. They mostly leave enough pavement to squeeze down, except when they park by a streetlight or telegraph pole of course, at which point anyone hoping to pass along the pavement needs to two dimensional.

And there's the attitude that it's OK to block the pavement to avoid inconveniencing other drivers and that convenient parking trumps everything else including safety.
!nataS pihsroW

Riggers

« Reply #971 on: December 11, 2017, 02:04:04 pm »
I fully agree with you Ianski.

I rather think, those that are parking on pavements are doing so less to inconvenience other car drivers, but more to diminish the chance of their vehicle being clobbered by someone squeezing past. It is pure selfishness. Much the same as those who feel their journey is taking far too long, will race through residential areas, and couldn't give a monkey's for their speed.

A friend (who has a drive), who lives close to one of the many schools round our way, and the one closest to him had a Open Evening. He stood outside his house to watch a woman pull up across his drive to park and, getting out said: "I won't be long!" She was off to the school. He said: "I can't get my car out! She said: "But I won't be long!!!" He told her, if she left it there it wouldn't be in the same state as it arrived. She huffed and puffed and then tore off down the road. Unbelievable really. It happened to him on the following evening, when somebody parked across his drive, so he walked up and down the road knocking on people's doors to see if anyone knew who's car it was. Nobody did, so he then got a friend with a big Land Rover to haul it down the road. Maybe they'll learn? Who knows.

« Reply #972 on: December 11, 2017, 03:22:06 pm »
A lot of parking on the pavement here, mainly because if you don't park half on the pavement no one can get a tractor or a bin lorry or whatever passed as the road is too narrow. Also quite a few roads with no pavement so everyone is used to walking in the road anyway.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #973 on: December 11, 2017, 08:37:25 pm »
That's not Monymusk  ;)
???
Is Monymusk a place? All I meant was, the picture I had posted was, according to the place I copied it from, originally posted on Twitter by a person using the pseudonym @Monymusk.

It's a village not far from here. I quite often cycle through it :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monymusk

« Reply #974 on: December 12, 2017, 09:21:01 am »
It's a village not far from here. I quite often cycle through it :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monymusk
I see. Thank you.