Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 147315 times)

Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #975 on: December 12, 2017, 10:10:50 pm »

A Cheshire pub car park

'I've got a Jag - why not  flaunt it !'
Probably the fugliest car Jaguar ever made, too.  It's up there with the second generation Subaru Impreza and Hyundai Coupe for headlight bug-eyedness.
Never tell me the odds.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #976 on: December 14, 2017, 10:09:24 pm »
I'll just leave this here. Apptly there is a FB page called Badly Parked Cars...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #977 on: December 15, 2017, 02:01:15 pm »
Yeah common issue for disabled people and those with buggies/children.

I'm part of a disability community which showed a council truck parked over the entire the pavement with workmen nearby. The workmen refused to move the vehicle off the pavement so child using a mobility-walker could get past - so this 7 yr old kiddie was expected to just use the road. I sincerely hope the OP complained to the council and someone gets ripped a new one!

I know wheelchair users who happen to have a sharp thing sticking out to scrape such offenders. 

Hedges are harder, the walking route near the local hospital is like that, a nasty uneven pavement full of trees and a prickly holly bush. I hate it cos it makes me unbalanced and there isn't space to pass another pedestrian despite it being busy. I really must chunter at the council about that.

« Reply #978 on: December 15, 2017, 02:28:19 pm »
Get in contact with them ASAP Barakta.

Once it gets to nesting season hedge cutting is illegal so they wont do it until next summer.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #979 on: December 15, 2017, 04:37:28 pm »
That's a stretch that the local cycling campaign have moaned about, on account of the cycling provision consisting of a couple of crudely-drawn bicycles on the carriageway.  My comment was that cycling in primary with some impatient motorist on your wheel was still better than the provision for pedestrians.  I think what's really needed is to make the road one-way in the downhill direction, and use the space freed for a properly segregated cycling contraflow and decent width footway.

The hedge isn't actually overgrown, it's just that the footway is woefully inadequate.  I suspect the hedge marks the boundary of hospital land.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #980 on: December 15, 2017, 04:44:57 pm »
It’s possible that the hedge used to mark the boundary, but has grown over it to grab some footpath. It can be problematic discovering who is responsible (owners, District, County) but I’d start with County. Our county used to write to owners and then if they didn’t cut back, they’d do it and charge the owners. I doubt there’s enough staff or will to do that now.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #981 on: December 15, 2017, 04:57:59 pm »
https://goo.gl/maps/bJtekeBJJPy shows the hedge in question.  Note how the pavement on the left hand side of the road evaporates after the car park, squeezing all the foot traffic (which can be substantial when students move between the Medical School and other buildings en masse) onto the half-width pavement on the right.  Interestingly, Streetview has images going back to 2008, and while they show an unoffical desire line evaporating and the hedge thickening and gaining height, it doesn't seem to encroach any further onto the pavement.

TBH, the real issue (other than the disproportionate space allocated to motor vehicles), is that so much of the footway is given over to the trees, to the point of not even being properly surfaced.  Unacceptable for a major access route to the hospital to be so useless for wheelchair users.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #982 on: December 15, 2017, 06:04:33 pm »
TBH that hedge doesn't look so bad to me. It is at least in one vertical line. It's a rare hedge that grows so neatly on private property. Wheelie bins are another problem.
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #983 on: December 15, 2017, 06:06:23 pm »
Yeah, the problem of the hedge is mainly that it hurts when you're forced into it by the crowded conditions.

Don't get me started on wheelie bins...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #984 on: December 15, 2017, 06:54:32 pm »
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #985 on: December 15, 2017, 10:18:17 pm »
Seems not uncommon for pricy basement flats to get this treatment.

Don't think it's that long since the last...

« Reply #986 on: December 16, 2017, 01:08:48 am »
How many basement flats include parking?

« Reply #987 on: December 16, 2017, 09:47:15 am »

Not driving on the pavement though, so that's alright, isn't it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/15/driver-arrested-mercedes-wedged-upright-london-street

A tipper truck did that a couple of years ago, with it's load ending up in the cab. The driver was very lucky to escape.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #988 on: December 16, 2017, 10:10:38 pm »

You can see the estate agent blurb -
'Cosy basement flat; centrally located
own off-street basement parking.'

£1,000,000 Zillion

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #989 on: December 19, 2017, 09:05:54 am »
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/outrage-anti-bird-spikes-fitted-943672
A resident of the flats, who asked not to be named, said: "The spikes are solely to protect the cars, there is no other reason.

"There is a big problem with bird droppings around here. They can really make a mess of cars, and for some reason they [the birds] do seem to congregate around this area."

The resident conceded that some might view the practice as cruel but said there are were many more trees nearby for birds to roost and nest in.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #990 on: February 06, 2018, 11:57:12 am »

Council put bollards up to stop people parking on this grass verge, trapping a car which was parked there at the time.
A check of the DVLA database shows the car is MOT’d until May but its tax ran out in August 2017.
Which is presumably why they left it there.
A Bristol City Council spokesperson said:...

“We suspect this vehicle has been abandoned for some time and as a result we have reported it to the police and DVLA so it can be removed. We are in contact with our contractors to temporarily remove the bollards so the vehicle can be removed safely as soon as possible.”
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/car-trapped-grass-verge-after-1169217

I think some of the locals will be having a bonfire.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #991 on: March 09, 2018, 12:06:08 pm »
This is appearing in your local paper soon: https://www.eta.co.uk/2018/01/10/catclaw-tackles-illegal-and-dangerous-pavement-parking-by-bursting-car-tyre/
(The comments in the Bristlepost were mostly surprisingly sensible, "Enforcing the laws would be a better start")

« Reply #992 on: March 18, 2018, 06:11:09 am »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #993 on: May 07, 2018, 01:59:04 pm »
From my Twitter feed...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #994 on: May 10, 2018, 01:34:19 pm »
I forgot to post this here.  Hot weather brings out the worst in Brummie moton entitlement: https://twitter.com/PeterSmallbone/status/993168882671157250

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #995 on: May 10, 2018, 02:03:06 pm »
This past Monday saw plenty of fuds in Hyde Park.  For a moment I thought West Carriage Drive had been turned into a car park, but it was just doing a great impression of the M25.  There was still plenty of fuddish parking on the pavements around the proper car parks.  If only London had a system of buses and trains people could use to reach parks, especially those in the centre of town, so visitors could leave their motor vehicles at home.  One can only dream...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #996 on: May 22, 2018, 06:54:19 am »
this is quite special ! Talbot Green in South Wales - so not the cycle flow of , say Copenhagen at rush hour

the blue car is parked behind the black one concealing a meaningless Sustrans traffic island.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #997 on: May 30, 2018, 08:43:43 pm »
On the pavement? Check.
On double yellow lines? Check.
Plenty of available legal places to park nearby? Check.
Engine running? Check.
On the phone? Check.

Fud?

IMG_0816_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #998 on: May 30, 2018, 08:56:32 pm »
I think you could have 'parked within 10m of a junction' as well for a bonus.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #999 on: May 31, 2018, 07:57:13 am »
But if the driver's still in it and the engine's going it's not parked but merely halted. Dunno about UK, but in Germany at least you're allowed a 3-minute halt anywhere.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.