Author Topic: Need more space on my handlebars for lights etc.  (Read 11314 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Need more space on my handlebars for lights etc.
« on: 08 July, 2008, 05:45:50 pm »
I've got limited space on my handlebars.  I know you can get things that clamp to the handlebars and provide more room for lights etc., but I dont know what they are called. Any ideas?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Need more space on my handlebars for lights etc.
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2008, 05:49:24 pm »
Minoura Space Grip SG1 Handlebar Extension

They also do an SG2 which is a bit shorter, and an SG3 which is pants.

Other manufacturers also do similar things, but I've always found the Minoura SG1/2 to be quite reliable.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2008, 05:49:32 pm »
Minoura Space Grip

If you have space on your AHEAD/threadless Steerer tube you can buy a more substantial accessory bracket from SJSC

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2008, 06:01:05 pm »
if it's occasional use only or as a back-up to a main light, I use a head torch. The new halogen/LED ones are plenty bright enough and this one from Petzl http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Run/8/Petzl_MyoLite3_Head_Torch/5360017175/
I use the LED for fixing things and the Halogen for seeing while riding. It lasts several hours on high beam.
It's rather cumbersome for all night use although some folk do use them and I have seen pics of PBP riders using them for map reading.
It's also a pretty cheap alternative to a bracket and bike light combo.

« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2008, 06:17:22 pm »
I use a Minoura Space Grip on the commuting/fixed bike, but hanging down from the aero bars:-

(Reasonably big photo so I'll just link to it):-

http://www.greenbank.org/bikes/tempo/tempo_top.jpg

Cycle computer (Cateye Velo 8) is mounted on the stem with a couple of zip ties.
GPS mount on the top-end of the aero-bars (easy to see when riding).
Space grip used to mount Solidlights and/or battery powered light.
(I also put a Rixen & Kaul Minimap mount on the aerobars near where the Space Grip attaches, for Audax routesheets).

Don't have aero-bars on the geared Audax bike. For that I have the computer on the bars to the right of the stem and a space grip on the left hand side of the stem pointing out forwards. On this I have the Rixen & Kaul Minimap mount on the left of it, the Solidlights mount upside down, and then GPS mount on the right.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2008, 08:43:58 pm »
Personally I think the Minoura ones are total SHITE and I wouldn't waste your money on one.  They are fit once and never ever try and move them or change bikes etc.
The internal setup is very fragile and doesn't take kindly to being reset.

On the other hand I have 3 Topeak BarXtenders and I reckon they are ace.  Easy to set up and move and remove and move again with no hassle.  The only down side is the actual front bar is slightly smaller in width I believe and also the reach may not be quite as much as the larger Minoura one.  But those two negatives do not cancel out all the faults of the Minoura ones in my opinion. 

« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2008, 08:45:34 pm »
i'm with Mr Grub on the Minoura - the most frustrating things in the world to fit.  I havent tried the topeak ones.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2008, 08:57:01 pm »
The Minoura ones do the job but I agree with Grub and Mike about re-fitting, a right PITA.

« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:09:48 pm »

I have one from the stem with my USE Exposure Joystick on it, and I also use this to store my Lumicycle Halide 2004 when the darker months require me to use it as well.  The big benefit of having it in that position IMHO is it also protects your lights from being knocked.

The Dinotte is attached to one on the rear from the seat post too.  The Nelson obscured it previously, so on Roger's ride I was trying to figure it out and Roadrunner suggested I install it upside down - hey presto - problem solved.  I use the Dinotte fixture on the TCR so having this fitting on the Thorn makes it easier to swap lights back and forth.

I have the same setup on the front of the TCR for when I swap the Lumi or Joystick over too.

« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:35:50 pm »
That's odd, I've got a couple, an SG1 and an SG2, and I can't say I've ever really had any problems with them, and I've shifted them around a fair bit.  I had the SG2 on my Galaxy ages back, and then a few years ago I recycled it onto the rear of the Brompton to hold a Dinotte, much as GruB has his topeak one, and then it was on the front of the Pomp where it has moved around a bit as I've managed to break various front light mountings recently.  I've never come close to breaking one, or had one come loose.

I never liked the look of the Topeak one (on websites, I've never seen one in the flesh) since I was worried that all the additional movable bits might make it more prone to breakages, or shifting about.
Actually, it is rocket science.

alan

« Reply #10 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:44:01 pm »
I have used both the Minoura & Topeak.The Topeak is a much superior product particulary for relocating on different bikes.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:06:07 pm »
I have one of each.

The Topeak can be rotated in more directions than the Minoura.  The Minoura has suffered from losing screws, but shakeproof washers fixed that.  The Minoura is,ooh, years old. It could be that newer ones are made from finest cheese.

The Topeak is rock solid.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #12 on: 09 July, 2008, 06:22:20 am »
Another vote for Minoura

« Reply #13 on: 09 July, 2008, 08:43:01 am »
I've had a Minoura Swing Grip SG3 for three years now
as they say "so far so good" :)

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 09 July, 2008, 09:00:19 am »
Here's a photo of my Minoura hanging off my SJSC Accessory Bar.

The Acc Bar is so solid you could use it to steer with (but you need space on the Steerer, Grub has enough space on his), the Minoura has been fine for 2 years but, as mentioned above, is made from cheap materials and isn't designed for repeated or easy relocation.

The Mechanic

« Reply #15 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:11:48 am »
I have the long space grip on my audax bike with two Cateye lights on it.  A EL500 and an EL530.  So far so good.  Haven't tries moving it though.  The only complaint I would have so far is that the bar for fixing the lights etc is much smaller than the handlebars and thus makes fitting light a pain.  Lots of rubber shims required but seems to be solid enough.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #16 on: 09 July, 2008, 10:24:56 am »
Thanks for the comments.  In all likelihood I'll only be using the space grip when I am doing night rides, so the complaints that the Minoura space grips are a pig to remove from the bike puts me off that brand somewhat.  I guess Topeak it is then.

Here's a photo of my Minoura hanging off my SJSC Accessory Bar. The Acc Bar is so solid you could use it to steer with (but you need space on the Steerer, Grub has enough space on his)
Unfortunately I don't have any space of the steerer, so that's a no started but it's a nice idea.

The only complaint I would have so far is that the bar for fixing the lights etc is much smaller than the handlebars and thus makes fitting light a pain.  Lots of rubber shims required but seems to be solid enough.
I shall bear that in mind.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #17 on: 09 July, 2008, 02:28:28 pm »
The problem with the minoura isn't the fitting/refitting, but that it's made out of cheese.

The first one was replaced free by the LBS after a week after the end fell off.

The second one only lasted a few months before that too was in two parts.

Foolishly I replaced it with a swing grip as I was told that was stronger (plus it was longer which was a requirement).   That too went the way of failure.

I believe  I may have, stupidly, tried again with one at a later date.  I think I still have the bent remains (both parts).

« Reply #18 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:35:52 am »
Lee,
Thank you.  I hadn't thought of one of those.  I am looking at a better way of installing my IQ Fly so I can easily remove it and put it back etc when required.  That looks like a solid platform for the Thorn.

Chris N

« Reply #19 on: 10 July, 2008, 08:44:45 am »
+1 for the Topeak bracket - it really is very good - though I haven't tried the Minoura one to compare.

« Reply #20 on: 10 July, 2008, 12:08:05 pm »
The Minoura 'Swing Grip' is ok with light stuff on it (light heads/computers) but simply not up to carrying anything with any kind of weight (battery lights, GPS units etc.). Also I find it works better underslung, as in the pic.

« Reply #21 on: 10 July, 2008, 01:29:26 pm »
The Swing Grip is a marvellous idea poorly executed.
Mine vibrated itself to death after ~300 miles.
This was on a Super Galaxy on 32 section tyres so, presumably, a reasonably comfortable ride.
There were only two small lights and an HRM on it so very little weight.
They are truly made of cheese and a crumbly cheese at that.

Now I'm hungry and I know that there is no cheese in the fridge  :(

LEE

« Reply #22 on: 10 July, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »
Lee,
Thank you.  I hadn't thought of one of those.  I am looking at a better way of installing my IQ Fly so I can easily remove it and put it back etc when required.  That looks like a solid platform for the Thorn.

It's totally solid, that's my Rohloff shifter mounted on it.  It's basically a short handlebar.

Not cheesy in any way

« Reply #23 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:56:04 pm »
My wife and I went through a number of space grips in pretty short order a few years ago, looking to mount accessory lights to back up our dynamo lights. We just abandoned them in the end, opting for a pair of Electron BackUpz on the drop bars of our tourers, just inboard and below the hoods.

I have been thinking, though, about resurrecting a Minoura to put it on my bike's stem because I have a spare Blackburn Quadrant that I'd like to mount there.
So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider. Please, if it's not too late, make it a cheeseburger.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #24 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:03:43 pm »
+1 for the SJS thingy here. I have one on my Audax bike and another on my Thorn Nomad. It's strong enough to hang a bar bag from and doesn't look too bad either.