114 (56.7%)
Reasonable value, safe bet
21 (10.4%)
A bit long in the tooth, could do better
16 (8%)
The reason why Wiggle have caught on
11 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 172

Author Topic: Spa Cycles, Harrogate  (Read 83301 times)

vince

Spa Cycles, Harrogate
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:31:03 pm »
I rang them last week to finally order a wheel with dyno-hub. The woman at Byer Cycles had told me Shimano hubs were in short supply so I was relieved to find they had them in stock. A very pleasant chap chatted about my requirements and assured me a Chrina rim would knock spots off my desired MA3 (which he didn't stock).

I was happily about to put the phone down when he confirmed my order and read it back as a silver rim. I said that a wanted a black one and he was not phased, but said it would be a couple of days as he had to build it rather than post it out today from stock. True to his word, the wheel arrived today, well packed and on time. Price was a reasonable £100 + £5 delivery.

My only gripe was that there was no rim tape on the wheel. I use velox cloth, so I could not unstick some from the old wheel and fortunately managed to dig out some ropey rubber stuff until I can get to J E James. For £100, a bit of rim tape would have been nice.

I'll report back on whether the wheel build stands my 16st bulk :-[

The Mechanic

Re: Spa Cycles, Harrogate
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:01:33 am »
I would be interested to hear your review of the Shimano dynohub as well.  It is a good bit cheaper than hte Son so looks like a good bet if the performance is up to it. :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:03:34 pm »
I recently placed an online order for a Shimano dynohub, spokes and a Chrina rim from Spa (£20 cheaper if you build it yourself and postage is free).  I used spokecalc to calculate the spoke length; however, spa called me to suggest that I get spokes 2mm shorter - same length as they use.  The order arrived the next day and the wheel built up with no problems.

In relation to the dynohub, I have used it for about 500 miles, including a very hill 300km audax, and don't even notice that it's there.  It runs very smoothly, no noticeable drag, very easy to connect the light and doesn't add too much weight to the bike. 

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:57:15 pm »
Handy posts, just thinking of getting a dynohub setup of some kind for my commuter bike. Invariably forget to charge the batteries for my Dinotte from time to time.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 01:04:49 pm »
Spa are great in  "Comedy Yorkshiremen inna shed" kind of way.  Curmudgeonly but kind, and very knowledgeable.

Their "premises" is well-worth a visit.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:49:52 pm »
I have just returned from a visit to said emporium ,and they are a pleasure to deal with . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:10:49 pm »
Brilliant!

My second favourite bikeshop, after JD (Ilkley), and ahead of Blazing Saddles (HB)
Getting there...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:30 pm »
I ordered a wheel and Shimano hub from Spa Cycles about 3 weeks ago.  Every wheel I've bought elsewhere has never had rim tape, so I ordered some at the same time!

I've only been testing the dynamo up & down the street whilst fiddling with my bodged Tesco lights, so it's not clear but I think I can feel a bit of resistance, although I'm not overly concerned.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 10:54:44 pm »
I sent an email with two questions on it to both Spa and A.N. Other bike shop (in London).

Spa answered same day.  ANO's first thing next morning.  Both good.

Question 1:  Spa offered good and helpful advice, with an important caveat.  ANO misread the question.

Question 2:  Spa happy to help, and invite a call to discuss future needs.  ANO say 'not possible', because not part of usual out of box spec, and include some irrelevant pseudo-justification, which also happened to be patronising.

Spa will get my business.  The other shop (PM me for who it was, if you feel like knowing) will be ignored.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 11:14:47 pm »
I placed an internet order to Spa for 3 things. The following day, they phoned to say one item was not available immediately and would I like an alternative (no, I wanted that one) and did I want the other stuff first (yes). The other stuff was dispatched with haste. A week later I get a phone call saying they've sent the item, but they are having problems with my card (I've subsequently run out of money), they said that's fine - put a cheque in the post when it arrives, or your partner can call and pay, not to worry. The item arrived the following day. :D :thumbsup: Fabulous customer service.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 11:01:58 am »
they said that's fine - put a cheque in the post when it arrives, or your partner can call and pay, not to worry. The item arrived the following day. :D :thumbsup: Fabulous customer service.

My experience was the same when I ordered my SON wheel (Rigida Sputnik). I had a chat with them on the 'phone and took their advice on the rim type and spoking. The the guy I was speaking to said "If I pack it now, it'll go in the post tonight and you'll get it in the morning." When I asked about paying by CC he said not to worry, just put a cheque in the post. Brilliant  :thumbsup: It arrived next day with rim-tape.
Wheel has done 3000 miles and is still going strong despite regular off-roading. The original rear was bolloxed- rim concave and it had needed truing a couple of times.

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 08:06:11 pm »
I rode round there on the Brompton yesterday (been on a business trip to Harrogate).  One of the guys in there, while quite helpful and friendly, doesn't like dealing with Brompton very much.  As he sold me a rim he apologised for charging me £15, saying it probably cost them £2 to buy in, and berated them for changing the spoke lengths and seat QR  ;D
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 08:55:04 pm »
They don't like Moultons either.  I never did get a reasoned explanation for this.

Despite this major aberration they have otherwise been excellent to deal with, both IRL and on the InterWeb.  Our Dawes Double Edge tandem came from there, as did all the bits to turn it into a respectable road bike.  Highly recommended (but don't mention Moultons).

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 01:40:27 pm »
Another vote of confidence for Spa - they were knocking out Schwalbe Stelvio + at £20 as opposed to £30+ at most shops. Ordered on net arrived 2 days later, great (I'm a biased though as I'm a Yorkshireman !)
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 03:00:13 pm »
I like Spa Cycles but wish they would put more items online.  Perhaps they should get their grandchildren to help with the IT.

My only gripe was that there was no rim tape on the wheel.

It's quite usual not to have tape supplied with handbuilt wheels.  At least it allows you to check that the spokes are the right length.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 07:16:05 am »
Got some Mudguards from them on line..cheaper than Wiggle and Bike Plus.  They arrived in 2 days with no drama or fuss.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 02:19:03 pm »
Comedy Yorkshiremen inna shed" kind of way...

Hmmmm.

I have mixed opinions about them and I would go for "Take a deep breath and pick up the phone" option if there was one.

Yes, they are very knowledgeable and they have a great range of kit which is good value but for me, nothing seems to be straight forward with them.

I ordered my first set of handbuilt wheels from them (Chrina on Ultegra/Schmidt) and had a set-to with the bloke who builds them about them using double-butted spokes on the drive side (they prefer not to). He conceded in the end but there was a "well if you know so much about wheels why don't you build them yourself" moment from the dour Yorkshireman. Sadly, of the two back wheels they have built, I have had spokes break on both after not too many miles. This has not happened to the wheels rebuilt by the LBS or by Charlotte.

With respect to the Chrina rims, I was suprised how quickly they wore out but to be fair, I think that is largely due to riding in poor weather and people say they compare favourably with Mavic Pros.

H

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 05:36:48 pm »
Not many people can build decent wheels commercially.  Harry Rowlands is supposed to be one of the few.  I've probably built 30 wheels or so in the last 15 years, and I still spend an entire evening on some of them until I'm happy - you can't do that if you're trying to make money.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:24:26 pm »
Ordered some Stuffs at about 2 pm yesterday.

Arrived this morning.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 05:12:28 pm »
I have had two orders from them in the past 2 weeks..
Both delivered promptly and completely; less than 2 days from order to delivery including wheel build time. Free postage. Invoice sent with delivery, cheque sent by return.
The rear wheel they built for me has 13/14 double butted drive side spokes (at their suggestion) - I now have a full set of ultegra/schmidt/grizzley wheels for the winter commuter - will see how they get on in the next year or so.

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 09:19:29 am »
Having bought stuff from them online and liked the way they have all the stuff you can't get elsewhere, and the knowledge too, I took the chance to call in when we had a weekend in Harrogate. I needed a crank because my Stronglight one was creaking. They gave me a tip I had never heard before.

You gently file the angles down a bit on the back of the taper, because they can meet the shoulders on the BB spindle, even on a Stronglight BB.

Worked brilliantly.

I'll be using them again.

Was surprised though that it's a tiny shop, like a corner newsagents. I was expecting much bigger.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 10:42:26 am »
They made me some wheels at short notice a few years ago before I went touring in Romania. I rang them 2 weeks before I was due to depart, and I didn't know exactly what I wanted, but followed their advice on rims hub and tyres. The wheels arrived a week later. The cassette had been fitted and the tyres were fitted and inflated. In Romania they coped with rutted farm tracks, cobbled roads and potholed tarmac. I've been using them for commuting and winter riding for a couple of years since then, and the spokes have never needed so much as a tweak.

At the time I was going through a bit of an ordeal trying to get the bike I had ordered from a bunch of lying spivs on the south coast, and it was  breath of fresh air dealing with straight-talking people who delivered what they promised.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 12:59:53 pm »
I've been using Spa's mail order service on a fairly frequent basis for over 10 years and have always been 100% satisfied with them. 
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 01:41:37 am »
bought a front wheel - silver open pro on schmidt dynohub with db spokes - at least 3 years ago. Never even thought about it since. Never needed truing or any sort of maintenance. Has done at least 15,000 miles on a variety of audaxes. Always works. Although maybe i should get the micrometer on the rim thickness, but i dont use my brakes that much.......... ;D

I paid for it by chaeque after i received it

Top notch. I have bought other stuff from them since - but this one stands out  :)

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 07:11:47 pm »
I like em. Had an SQR uplift delivered yesterday, one clamp was missing. Quick email and it arrived today and I got an apology by email.
I've always thought that how people sort out mistakes shows their true mettle. Spa passed with flying colours :thumbsup: