114 (56.7%)
Reasonable value, safe bet
21 (10.4%)
A bit long in the tooth, could do better
16 (8%)
The reason why Wiggle have caught on
11 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 172

Author Topic: Spa Cycles, Harrogate  (Read 83484 times)

Re: Spa Cycles, Harrogate
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 11:43:48 pm »
Spa are brilliant.

Whenever I have used them the service has been superb. On the phone they clearly know what they are talking about.

Highly recommended.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 05:38:49 am »
Ordered with them twice, mostly products not imported in teh Netherlands. Very helpfull people, also when sorting out the specific problems of sending items abroad.

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 08:42:06 pm »
I got my shimano dyno hub on an open pro from them three years ago they were easily the cheapest and no problems since

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Spa Cycles
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 11:07:24 am »
I've just received some brake levers and other bits from SPA - ordered yesterday morning.  Excellent service, and very helpful staff on the phone.  Highly recommended!

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 09:44:01 am »
I've just ordered a Stronglight chainring from them.  Granted I was a bit hesitant on the phone, ensuring I was getting the right thing, I found the chap at the end of the phone a bit rude.  If it wasn't such a good price I would have suggested he stick the chainring up his arse, sideways.  >:(
Perhaps next time I'll stick to web ordering.

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 01:01:50 pm »
Another :thumbsup: for Spa from me.  Needed a new chainset for the fixed - they were happy to supply cranks, a single ring rather than two, the correct BB (and advised which was best for the chainline I needed) and single ring bolts all for a good price.  Ordered yesterday, delivered today.  Good service, I'd say.

Must've been a different bloke I spoke to, eh GruB?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 10:07:07 am »
Another thumbs up for Spa here.

I was looking online for Marathon Plus tyres for the Brompton and ordered them from Spa because they were by far the best price I could find (£19 compared to the more usual ~£30).

Placed the order late last Friday night and they arrived in Wednesday's post, which I reckon ain't bad service for £3 p&p.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 10:47:23 am »
Hum.  Normally, I get great service from Spa, but I've just got off the phone with a guy called John Pocklington.  Maybe he was having an off day, but when I called asking about a particular hub and what the dimensions were, so I could calculate spoke lengths (the Shimano site doesn't seem to say, neither does Spocalc) he was really quite short with me.

"We don't calculate spoke lengths"
"That's okay, I can do that.  I just need to know all the dimensions"
"They're the same as all the others"
"Can you be sure? There's a lot of variation in Shimano hubs"
"Look, I'm very busy"
"I want to buy a rim as well"
"You want us to build it for you?"
"No, I just want to know the dimensions so I can calculate spoke lengths and call you back"
"Look on the internet"
"I have - that's why I'm calling you.  I want to buy the hub from you."
Etc, etc.

He said he'll call me back when he's checked to see if my rim's in stock...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 10:49:43 am »
John's one of the main men, AIUI.  He's been grumpy with me once as well, though normally fine.  Not acceptable that, though, really...
Getting there...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 12:21:53 pm »
Sadly John has had a bit of grief recently with spokey customers. Don't ask me how I know this.

But ISTM that if you sell rims, hubs and spokes and build wheels then you should expect that pesky customers will want to ask advice regarding spoke lengths.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 12:41:09 pm »
I made it clear that I didn't want advice, I wanted information and made that quite clear.  But he was still grumpy.  And he didn't get back to me.

But it doesn't matter; I got the info I needed on YACF and called back, spoke to his colleague (who was lovely) and ordered what I wanted  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 06:32:15 pm »
I got an e-mail from them once querying the spoke lengths I'd ordered.  I said yes, I did want that length because I was building the wheel x2.  Probably customer care rather than arrogance.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 08:11:58 pm »
Rang them on Monday as I discovered on Sunday my rear rim had split and asked if they had a 105 on a Chrina rim. "as it happens, I have one in my hand" said the chap on the other end of the line.

A well built wheel arrived on Tuesday, complete with rim tape but no QRS. I rang them on Wednesday, no quibbles, it turned up today (Thursday).

The wheel had it's first road test last night and feels strong and rides really well.

Yes, it was a pain that the QSR wasn't there first off but anyone can make a mistake and you coudn't fault their service.

:thumbsup:

Had I asked for double butted spokes on the drive side however........  ;)

H

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 10:46:18 pm »
I rang Spa last Tuesday or Wednesday,  for a new rear wheel, and had a very helpful chat regarding requirements, options etc.   Ordered there and then, and the chap on the phone told me it would probably be about 2 weeks.  In fact, I got a call that friday to tell me it was ready and asking if I wanted to have it sent Royal Mail or sent via a courier on Monday for Tuesday delivery :)

It arrived on Tuseday as promised.  Looks great - my commuter/winter/hack/utility bike is now back on the road.

A big thumbs up from me  ;D :thumbsup:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2009, 09:00:22 am »
In August I ordered a Stronglight chainring for my winter bike on-line.
They rang me the next morning to say they had none in stock and offered a couple of alternatives. I asked how long it would be before the one I wanted came in. The guy said they were on order from Stronglight in France and he said that, "with a fair wind across the Channel" they should be here in a week or two. So, I decided to wait.

There followed a series of fortnightly emails, asking when they expected delivery.  Their answer, which was prompt, was always the same: almost definitely by the end of next week, probably, maybe.

It eventually arrived in mid October. But it did have a wee note in, apologising for the delay.

Which was nice.  :)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

citoyen

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 09:48:46 am »
Spa seem to be one of those companies that has become a victim of its own success. I ordered a rim from them recently and got a call a message on my phone a few days later to say sorry but it wasn't in stock. When I called back, the person I spoke to told me that rather than hold on to a backlog of orders until they had some new stock in, he'd chucked them out, including my order. Obviously business is very good if you can afford to do that.

He suggested an alternative rim that would be suitable for my needs but didn't seem too keen on taking the order there and then over the phone, and when I suggested that perhaps he'd prefer me to put the order through the website, he said very emphatically yes please.

I believe it was the same John mentioned earlier who I spoke to. If the shop and mail order business are really keeping them that busy, I can kind of understand why he might be a bit short with customers phoning to ask for technical data about spokes that might not be readily available.

On the other hand, if the business is doing that well, perhaps they ought to think about hiring more staff to cope with demand.

d.

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2009, 09:55:21 am »
I like Spa Cycles, it makes a nice Saturday 100km or so ride for me, lunch in Molly's in Starbeck then down to Webberburn Road to Spa for a few bits. When I can't get time to ride up there I'll use their website, but, all of the last few orders have not been in stock, sure they've called me and offered an alternative but really I'd prefer it if their website was current. It's an old fashion shop with a small counter, very little to browse but loads of stock. More than three customers at a time and it's full. I have mixed feelings about them, I like them, I occasionally meet staff at various local 'cyclists' cafes and we natter about bikes, but I wish they'd come into the 21st century. They'd certainly lose some charm if they did that though and perhaps I'd not use them so much.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 10:10:04 am »
The Spa cycles shop is a bit of an old curiosity shop ,not gleaming displays as per Chevin cycles or Allterrain but thats part of its charm ,I got some mudguards from them recently and a couple of bits were missing ,not their fault ,I popped in as I was passing and the relevant bits were dug out from somewhere for me ,I also got a bit of a tirade from the bloke about how he didnt like the fittings but he was in a minority of one mutter ,mutter ,mutter I could and might at some other time have felt a bit taken aback but in the setting it seemed endearing and just made me smile at the sort of Arkwrightness of it all.If you want shiny displays nosiy music in the back ground and the staff in Beanie hats and underwear showing above the trouser line its not for you. :thumbsup:

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2009, 11:11:55 pm »
Must buy from Spa  - Koolstop continental brake blocks, don't look fancy but excellent performance.
last for ages and very kind on rims how much? £4-00 a pair  - 

I suppose they are kind of retro-cool...

John Henry

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 02:49:03 pm »
I've used Spa in the past and been happy, but today I'm VERY happy.

I submitted a large internet order yesterday. John B phoned me up today to check that what I had ordered was what I really wanted, as there were compatibility problems between some of the components.  :facepalm:

I ended up completely revising my order: he was happy to take it over the phone while providing some useful recommendations and guidance.

Many others would have just sent what I ordered and let me deal with the consequences.

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2010, 07:22:38 pm »
I phoned Spa yesterday to check on spoke sizes then placed a fair sized order at about 10am.  Arrived today at 12pm - 26 hours!  Good old Spa Cycles, good old Royal Mail.  :thumbsup:

The order was just as one would expect from Spa, including two bundles of spokes carefully marked and wrapped in a few pages of The Yorkshire Post.  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 07:24:56 pm »
I rang them for some advice on wheel options for a tandem.  I didn't place an order while on the phone, but I will.

And ordered a load of stuff off them this evening.  :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2010, 03:50:15 pm »
The order was just as one would expect from Spa, including two bundles of spokes carefully marked and wrapped in a few pages of The Yorkshire Post.  :)
If you lived south of Sheffield, they'd have written "Oop yours, yer southern poof" on the newspaper.

citoyen

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2010, 03:52:52 pm »
Despite having a Kent address and an RP accent, I've never had anything other than the politest and most efficient dealings with Spa, whether by phone or email.

d.

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2010, 04:09:14 pm »
Just mention Brompton in casual conversation with them ;)

I might pop in there on Wednesday; I often do when I'm in Harrogate.