108 (56.5%)
Reasonable value, safe bet
21 (11%)
A bit long in the tooth, could do better
16 (8.4%)
The reason why Wiggle have caught on
11 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Spa Cycles, Harrogate  (Read 67830 times)

border-rider

Re: Spa Cycles, Harrogate
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2010, 10:17:43 pm »
More good service.

Two rims ordered online on Sunday evening, arrived on Tuesday. They look good :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2010, 10:42:53 pm »
Top service on two deliveries.  Unfortunately, the second contained a cassette I hadn't ordered.  I returned it, and they've given me some credit towards my next order.  I'm happy with that. :)

Beautiful wheel for Butterfly, btw.
Getting there...

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 06:59:26 pm »
Quick despatch of my rim and spokes. Somewhat surprised that they sent it to my billing address rather than the delivery address, but the postman was early, so someone was in to take delivery. Great.

Not so great - no nipples in the package  >:(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2010, 07:09:41 pm »
Ring 'em up.

That is not usual and you shouldn't have a problem getting hold of your nipples.

H

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 09:27:38 pm »
I've emailed already and will phone first thing.

Wanted to start wheel build fri night tho'.

Might have some nipples in a box somewhere.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

• HoECC & Cycle:End-to-End webmaster, S Warwickshire Bike Shop in Wellesbourne
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited, manages an LBS
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2010, 07:48:53 pm »
Happened to be in Harrogate today and decided I needed a new pair of winter gloves - so had a look in Spa ...

Well, I had heard it was a bit quirky but it wasn't quite what I expected ... a tiny shop at the end of a terrace of houses in a residential area.

Loads of "real" cycling stuff in stock and two very helpful chaps who managed to sell me an excellent pair of Sealskinz gloves.

Rob

border-rider

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2010, 07:53:09 pm »
"Two Yorkshiremen pottering about in a shed"

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2010, 04:25:13 pm »
Ordered two tyres 11 pm Thursday eve: they arrived in less than 36 hours. That's a :thumbsup:

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2010, 08:32:15 am »
Another thumbs up from me..ordered a new dynamo hub and wheel build on Monday, th shop built it that day and dispatched to me to arrive Wednesday lunch time. Only thing is no one was in so I had to pick it up from the local PO on the Thursday.

Great service

Roberto

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2010, 02:03:40 pm »
Another thumbs up from me..ordered a new dynamo hub and wheel build on Monday, th shop built it that day and dispatched to me to arrive Wednesday lunch time. Only thing is no one was in so I had to pick it up from the local PO on the Thursday.

Great service

Roberto

+1

Ordered sprockets Rear derellier, Chain set and chain, late Monday night.

On Wednesay I was looking for an indication of expected deliver date, when the door bell rang.  GREAT SERVICE.   :thumbsup:

They will get a great deal more of my business.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Woofage

• Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 02:13:11 pm »
Same here. They seemed to be the only shop left with Carradice Bagman QRs in stock so I ordered one over the phone on Weds. Arrived Thursday morning :thumbsup:.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2010, 09:07:27 pm »
I have read somewhere  (lord knows where) that the bagman is being revised.  I am holding off buying another until I see how this pans out as the nelson long flap it is intended for is out of production atm anyway. Cant fault Spa tho.
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2011, 09:28:34 pm »
Not happy

Ordered a Stronglight Triple chainset on the 03/03/11, money went from my account all ok a few days later, I was hoping it would arrive in time for my holiday on the 15/03/11 so I could finish the Kaffenback off.

But here I am on the 23/03/11 and still do not have a chainset, was told it was sent on the 4th but they have stopped answering my emails now so as things stand I am £59 down with no chainset.

Any ideas what I should do as a next step.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2011, 09:56:49 pm »
Send an email and snail-mail letter demanding a refund, or replacement if preferred.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 08:15:21 am »
Not happy

Ordered a Stronglight Triple chainset on the 03/03/11, money went from my account all ok a few days later, I was hoping it would arrive in time for my holiday on the 15/03/11 so I could finish the Kaffenback off.

But here I am on the 23/03/11 and still do not have a chainset, was told it was sent on the 4th but they have stopped answering my emails now so as things stand I am £59 down with no chainset.

Have you tried giving them a ring they are normally pretty obliging.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2011, 08:37:40 am »
My experience is just as yours, onb. 

Worth checking the tracking of the package (if there is any). 
Getting there...

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2011, 11:08:34 am »
Not happy

Have you tried giving them a ring they are normally pretty obliging.

Just rung them having still not answered my email, they are now posting a replacment chainset so fingers crossed that arrives.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2011, 06:58:30 pm »
Sounds good.
Getting there...

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2011, 08:43:31 am »
Just to update things, I did get the replacment all ok.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2011, 10:27:01 am »
Excellent.
Getting there...

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2011, 07:54:12 pm »
Glad to hear it was all sorted.

I have bought a fair amount from them over the last 4 years and have always found them fair and trustworthy with deliveries.

H

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2011, 08:08:58 pm »
Just received a call that put me right off SPA after singing their praises.

Ordered a new galaxy subsequently changed over phone to super galaxy,  months ago, with majority of cash paid up front for major discount. Fine so far. I went to the shop to size up and order the bike. About 4 hours journey each way for me.

'I shall collect said bike in due course' me says. When are they likely to be in? 'Early to mid April, but it takes us a couple of weeks to put 'em together'. No probs happy customer leaves.

Phone call today, your bike is in,  you do realise we send 'em to you in bits and you have to build them (as in full build)? 'Er no.......we arranged that I would pick it up'.Oh Ill put the box in the shed then until you are ready to pick it up. Tempted to tell em to stuff it and go for that titanium audax bike after all.

This is for a grands worth of bike not quite the outcome I expected! What do you suggest I do?
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 09:30:29 pm »
Ordered a pair of Ortlieb panniers, which were delivered the next day, along with a free puncture repair kit :thumbsup:

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2011, 09:39:43 pm »

Ordered a new galaxy subsequently changed over phone to super galaxy,  months ago, with majority of cash paid up front for major discount. Fine so far. I went to the shop to size up and order the bike. About 4 hours journey each way for me.

'I shall collect said bike in due course' me says. When are they likely to be in? 'Early to mid April, but it takes us a couple of weeks to put 'em together'. No probs happy customer leaves.

Phone call today, your bike is in,  you do realise we send 'em to you in bits and you have to build them (as in full build)? 'Er no.......we arranged that I would pick it up'.Oh Ill put the box in the shed then until you are ready to pick it up. Tempted to tell em to stuff it and go for that titanium audax bike after all.

This is for a grands worth of bike not quite the outcome I expected! What do you suggest I do?

Don't you just have to put the wheels on, rack, turn the handle bars, pedals on, tweak the brakes. Done ?

Not exactly building a bike ?

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »

That doesn't sound right.  Did you order a compete bike or a frame and bits?  If the former they are are obliged to build it to a European Standard (the new version of BS6102)

By the sound of it you may have ordered seperate bits and pieces, in which case a shop would normally charge quite a bit to build it up.  

If it's mail order bike it's normal to have to set the bars and stem and fit pedals and accessories.