111 (56.6%)
Reasonable value, safe bet
21 (10.7%)
A bit long in the tooth, could do better
16 (8.2%)
The reason why Wiggle have caught on
11 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Author Topic: Spa Cycles, Harrogate  (Read 73533 times)

Re: Spa Cycles, Harrogate
« Reply #275 on: August 04, 2018, 11:20:20 am »
The stupid thing is that it's purely a webshite issue.  Last time I phoned them up and the payment went through with no problem.  This seems to be spreading - EBC and Sigma online shops rejected my payments last week BUT they actually went through so I ended up with multiple deliveries of the same stuff.  Bike shops really need to get their shit together or CRC and Wiggle will eat their lunch.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2018, 11:16:04 pm »
If you ever get a chance to visit their shop I suggest you take it. It's full of wonderous items at very tempting prices. And if you need an odd old-fashioned bit (maybe for an old steel touring bike, for example) they'll have that part, and maybe several others that you may not have seen for some years. The service comes with a very dry and dare I say Yorkshire delivery. Be warned though, you may pop in for one item and come out with several more that you hadn't planned to buy. Highly recommended. Just a shame it's so far from Oxford!

« Reply #277 on: August 18, 2018, 11:31:25 pm »
Yeah, the last time I was in there, a chap came in while I was waiting for my rims to be dug out. He had that CTC look which all Spa customers have (I'm no exception).

He was after an obsolete 9-speed mech, and of course they had it in stock. But he was also doing up his grandson's bike,  and needed a shifter for a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub, and wondered if they had one in the shop?

The lad at the counter replied: "Flat bar or drop bar?"

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #278 on: January 21, 2019, 11:20:15 am »
Does anyone know if Spa Cycles is still trading? Their website is down and it could - in all likelihood - be a website issue they've not noticed.
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #279 on: January 21, 2019, 11:30:10 am »
Website OK for me.

Graeme

• @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #280 on: January 21, 2019, 11:40:13 am »
spacycles.co.uk? I'm getting an ipserver cannot be reached. No problems with any other browsing.  ???
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2019, 11:40:32 am »
+1

You're not looking at spacycles.com (which appears to serve up a blank page) by mistake, are you?  It's https://www.spacycles.co.uk/
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Graeme

• @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #282 on: January 21, 2019, 11:41:50 am »
Nope nothing. I'm guessing it is me. Followed your link too.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #283 on: January 21, 2019, 11:43:39 am »
Must be a blockage in the intertubes.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Graeme

• @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #284 on: January 21, 2019, 11:45:30 am »
Cheers... I'll try later.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2019, 12:21:36 pm »
Up for me.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

Graeme

• @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2019, 02:19:55 pm »
This is weird, I'm still getting: spacycles.co.uk ipaddress cannot be reached.

Checked with:
https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/spacycles.co.uk ...

Yup: is just me. Not sure what to do. Cleared cache, checked from PC and phone. This isn't a Spa Cycles issue so I'll stop filling this thread with nonsense. If anyone has some suggestions I'd be happy to get a PM about it.

« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2019, 03:03:35 pm »
Seems ok now.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2019, 03:29:46 pm »
Ordered a pair of marathon supreme folding for £25 a tyre last week. Expected it to be the older style of marathon supreme for that price. Actually got the newer style instead! 😀 A pleasant surprise, although I hope someone who ordered the newer style didn't get an old version instead..

« Reply #289 on: February 11, 2019, 07:55:36 pm »
£4 delivery is a bit disappointing.  Wanted a bracket for £7.50, so ended up ebaying it.
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

Woofage

• Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #290 on: February 11, 2019, 08:53:39 pm »
£4 delivery is a bit disappointing.  Wanted a bracket for £7.50, so ended up ebaying it.

It will cost them around £3 of that £4 in postage alone*. Not every company is prepared to make a loss on delivery charges.

* assuming RM 1st Class/24 (other more expensive options are available).
Pen Pusher

« Reply #291 on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:00 pm »
Should have said, ebay (cycle shop) postage was £1.50 (& bracket £7)

edit.  £4 seems more significant, only cos I was ordering something small, for anything more expensive I wouldn't be that bothered.
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

FifeingEejit

• Not Small just Far Away at the back
« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2019, 11:28:50 am »
Ordered a pair of Schwalbe Winters the other Wednesday evening, Arrived by lunch time on the Friday; saved that Saturday's ride.

Were also great when I had an issue with the B&M USB-Werk I bought from them... though I still haven't got round to fitting the replacement to my bike, lights all day is still sensible up here anyway.

« Reply #293 on: February 12, 2019, 05:01:54 pm »
They were quick with despatching my schwalbe winters as well. Great prices, I don't begrudge them the £4 delivery charge.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

FifeingEejit

• Not Small just Far Away at the back
« Reply #294 on: February 12, 2019, 10:47:40 pm »
They were quick with despatching my schwalbe winters as well. Great prices, I don't begrudge them the £4 delivery charge.

I almost forgot they only cost me 20 quid each an aw!

« Reply #295 on: April 10, 2019, 07:13:50 pm »
They built my Ti Elan 2x11spd hydraulic with hand built (dynamo front) wheels in double quick time  :D :thumbsup: