Author Topic: Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE  (Read 67290 times)

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
Re: Difficulty in installing tyres? RANKINGS only PLEASE
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2018, 03:55:35 pm »
On Kinlin xc-279 700c rim Michelin Pro 4 Service Course were a *lot* easier than Connti GP 4 seasons and also easier than GP 4000 (earlier version). Given these latter 2 are not difficult that should give an idea of how easily the Michelins went on!

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2018, 12:29:02 pm »
Rims: Stans Grail.

Tyre: 

28mm Hutchinson Sector 28 - thumbs only fairly easy
30mm Schwalbe G-One tubeless - thumbs only, bit harder than the sectors, easier than a Durano+ on an open pro
35mm Schwalbe G-one tubeless - first one a doddle, pretty much fell on, second one about the same as the sectors.

Worth noting that I don't put my goo through the valve but add using a syringe and hose before I mount the last bit of tyre. I haven't ended up throwing the goo all over myself yet.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2018, 01:48:50 pm »
I fitted some wire beaded 28 gatorskins the other night, replacing the Vittoria Zaffiros which came on the roadie.

I can see why many would see them as a bit of a bugger, and I know they have caused many a foul mouthed tirade among cyclists, and they did take me a while to do but that was much in part to me not having fannied around with tyres much and a few schoolboy errors.

What really helped are my superb tyre levers which admirably coped with the beading. Mine are some old b'twin ones my dad gave me, which are much more robust than normal levers that come in kits. Spend money on your levers, they're worth their weight in gold!

Quick note: When I fitted the tyre, I fully inflated the inner tube, then fully deflated, massaged the tyre a bit, and reinflated to make sure the tube was correctly seated. Is this worth doing or did I waste my time?
Bikepacking bargain basement: reviews of high value kit great for the tourer, bikepacker and randonneur on a budget

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109048.msg2312359#msg2312359

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2018, 10:27:53 pm »
No particular problem here with Durano Plus Etape folding (as springy and wriggly as Marathon Plus) on the notorious Rigida/Ryde Chrina.  There seem to be good and bad Chrinas; it looks as if they sometimes cut them a mm or so too large before they're rolled and joined.

Since I learned (a) to talc the tube thoroughly* and (b) how to push the bead into the well of the rim, I've not had a problem fitting anything and everything except the M+ on the Brompton comes off without levers, too.  This saves carrying them on rides, which is nice (although you can generally use QR levers in a pinch).

*this does very little to reduce friction when riding (as some believe) but it makes tyres much easier to fit.  Most of the friction between the bead and the rim, preventing you getting the last bit of bead over the edge, is actually friction between the tube and rim.
Never tell me the odds.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2018, 10:37:21 pm »
I think I've found a new benchmark for bastardly:  Schwalbe Pro One 28-559 on an Alex DV15.

I had to resort to tyre levers to get the *first* bead over the rim.  By the time I'd got down to the last couple of inches of the second one I was well into the bleeding and harsh language stage.  A brief moment of common sense stopped me from continuing on the basis that  a) If I did manage to fit it, there was a non-zero possibility that getting it off again would require scrapping one or the other  and  b) If I rode it and got a puncture I'd be fucked.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2018, 10:43:09 pm »
Some tyre beads stretch nicely after a couple of weeks on the rim at high pressure.  Kevlar beaded tyres especially.  I doubt kevlar creeps much but maybe the beads are braided, like a rope, and the filaments can straighten out somewhat.
Never tell me the odds.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2018, 10:49:59 pm »
Some tyre beads stretch nicely after a couple of weeks on the rim at high pressure.  Kevlar beaded tyres especially.  I doubt kevlar creeps much but maybe the beads are braided, like a rope, and the filaments can straighten out somewhat.

That's a fair point.  In the end I dug a wheel out of the spares pile (unbranded rim, a bit too wide, retired because of hairline fractures at some of the spoke holes) and it went on that without a fuss.  I should see if being on there for a month or so has helped.

Doesn't really matter though, my plan is to replace the fractured rim with a sensible Mavic one that it's known to fit.

ETA: Actually, I've got a 406 wheel with an inappropriate dynamo hub that was surprisingly difficult with a regular Marathon.  Think that's a DV15 as well.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2018, 10:14:41 am »
I think I've found a new benchmark for bastardly:  Schwalbe Pro One 28-559 on an Alex DV15.

I had to resort to tyre levers to get the *first* bead over the rim.  By the time I'd got down to the last couple of inches of the second one I was well into the bleeding and harsh language stage.  A brief moment of common sense stopped me from continuing on the basis that  a) If I did manage to fit it, there was a non-zero possibility that getting it off again would require scrapping one or the other  and  b) If I rode it and got a puncture I'd be fucked.

That might well be a tubeless ready tyre
All tubeless compatible tyres have an insanely tight bead
I think that it is normal to have to use tyre levers and a bead jack to get even the first bead on for this type of tyre
On my tubeless bike when I do the long rides I carry a tyre jack
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2018, 12:53:04 pm »
That might well be a tubeless ready tyre
All tubeless compatible tyres have an insanely tight bead
I think that it is normal to have to use tyre levers and a bead jack to get even the first bead on for this type of tyre
On my tubeless bike when I do the long rides I carry a tyre jack

It is (although I'm using them with lightweight inner tubes).

The 28-406 Pro One I have on the front wheel (Kinlin XR240) is a bit tight, but goes on without levers.  Getting it off can be a bit of a struggle, depending on temperature.

The tubeless ready tyres I have on my mountain bike are also stiff, but fittable by hand.  I'm not sure how much of this is down to being tubeless ready, or just from having kevlar beads.  My sensible bikes all have wire-beaded tyres.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2018, 08:30:14 pm »
Doesn't really matter though, my plan is to replace the fractured rim with a sensible Mavic one that it's known to fit.

Did the wheel build this afternoon, so I can add:

Schwalbe Pro One 28-559 on Mavic XM117:  It's tight, but it's doable by hand, without resorting to toestraps or harsh language.

« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2018, 10:50:13 am »
Vittoria Corsa Speed +
Difficult but doable on a PlanetX rim (needed tyre levers).
Impossible (couldn't get the first bead on!) on a Roval 45 rim, then again, might be the rim as I broke a Pedros tyre lever getting a Schwalbe Durano off.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2018, 10:53:06 am »
Interesting Duncan I recently fitted some Vittoria Revolutions G+ 28mm to my utility bike's cheapo wheels, it was a bit of work but I didn't need to use the levers.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre

Cracking commuter tyres so far, very comfortable while being quick enough for my purposes.
Bikepacking bargain basement: reviews of high value kit great for the tourer, bikepacker and randonneur on a budget

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109048.msg2312359#msg2312359

« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2018, 08:34:19 am »
Fitted some folding Michelin Power Gravel 35c on Alex XD Lite 700c rims.

Much harder to get on and off than the Conti Contact 32C wired-on that they replaced.  Would have been impossible without levers.

Lovely comfy commute this morning over the rough/gravel sections though :)

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2018, 10:05:56 am »
Vittorio G+ control 25mm. Went very easily onto Kinlin XC-279 rims, no levers or tricks needed. Lovely tyres too.