Author Topic: your favourite climb  (Read 19588 times)

Martin

your favourite climb
« on: 06 November, 2011, 10:32:17 pm »
Confession; I'm not actually a good climber and tend to twiddle a lot on hills, but this is my favourite and one that actually requires something a bit higher; a real "journey" which is actually quite rare for the region, drops you down a couple of times so you have to work to get back up, but the full majesty of Ashdown Forest and the Weald; not to mention the South and North Downs, rewards you at the top

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=549744&y=133203&z=120&sv=549744,133203&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=551&ax=549744&ay=133203&lm=0

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
Re: your favourite climb
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2011, 11:05:06 pm »
I'm afraid that thread title is an oxymoron in my case
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2011, 11:07:49 pm »
I'm afraid that thread title is an oxymoron in my case

that was the point of the thread; hills that you actually like climbing rather than just being at the top

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2011, 11:12:10 pm »
My favourite climb has got to be the Cairn O Mount.  It makes an appearance on a few Scottish calendar events and is always a good yard stick with which to measure one's fitness :)  It goes on for around 5km, has a couple of chevroned sections and the scenery is wonderful (2 arrivee covers in the last 18 months)

The climb:

A close second would be the Lecht from either side.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2011, 11:23:12 pm »
Well, call me wierd, but I like my climbs.
I'm based in the NE of Scotland, and one of the local test-piece climbs is in my commute, which I do once or twice a week.

My favourites are:

1) The Cairn O'Mount ( either way ).  On my commute.
2) The Lecht ( either way, steeper from Corgarf ).
3) The climb between Strathdon and Deeside to/from Gairnshiel;
4) Glenshee ( the Cairnwell pass ), except when windy.

Climbs I don't like:

1) Cabrach from Rhynie.
2) Dufftown - Tomintoul.

These are both grim grinds and *always* have a headwind.

3) Braemar - Cairnwell when wind funneling down the glen.

The hardest climbs I've done are:

1) Fred Whitton route, taking in Hardknott and Wrynose at 33%, 100 miles in.

Climbs I want to do are:

1) Rest and Be Thankfull;
2) Belach na Ba.

Other stuff south of Hadrian's wall....

--
F

Feanor

« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2011, 11:26:33 pm »
My favourite climb has got to be the Cairn O Mount. 
A close second would be the Lecht from either side.

+1

You beat me to it.

( The picture in my avatar is on the Cairn from the Clatterin Brig side, on the Snow Roads this year. )

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2011, 11:35:15 pm »
It hardly matches those monsters above, but my favourite at the moment is probably Dundry from the east side.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=358162&y=166047&z=120&sv=358162,166047&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=551&ax=358162&ay=166047&lm=0
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2011, 12:11:05 am »
The Lecht from the North is nice :)

I hated the Cairnwell pass when I went over it but the 60mph gust headwind and fog didn't really help. It did look like there must be some lovely views down the valleys, also felt like a long gradual ascent rather than a big steep brute (from the north).

My favourite climbs are probably Hartside from the east and Caldbeck common.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2011, 12:13:25 am »
that was the point of the thread; hills that you actually like climbing rather than just being at the top

Gospel Pass from the south.  It's just a lovely climb :)

Feanor

« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2011, 07:57:54 am »
I hated the Cairnwell pass when I went over it but the 60mph gust headwind and fog didn't really help. It did look like there must be some lovely views down the valleys, also felt like a long gradual ascent rather than a big steep brute (from the north).

Nice photo.
Hint: *never* look at the ski station when approacing from that side! It never gets any closer!

The Cairnwell is where I've seen my fastest ever speed on a bike.
Heading south to the Spittal of Glenshee, I've clocked 53mph.

Also, my fastest average over any distance was from the top to Aboyne, down the North side due to a hooting tail-wind funneling down the glen.  I don't recall what the time was, but we averaged well over 20mph for the whole leg.

--
F

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #10 on: 07 November, 2011, 08:19:59 am »
So, lots of entries for The Snow Roads next year: from the AUK Calendar:
300km cycling event starting from Kirriemuir. A classic route round the central highlands, featuring the mouthwatering attractions of the Cairn o’Mount, the Cabrach, the Lecht, and Cairnwell, with 4800m of climbing fun. Map of route here: http://gb.mapometer.com/en/cycling/route_905082.html
  :demon:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 07 November, 2011, 10:45:42 am »
The toll road out of Porlock is pretty nice

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 07 November, 2011, 11:03:37 am »
Gospel Pass from either end.

Since that's about the only major climb I have done, that will do. I have the Bealach on my list of climbs to do, which is one hill long.
It is simpler than it looks.

Chris N

« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2011, 12:16:32 pm »
My favourite must be the mountain road heading west out of Rhayader towards Cwmystwyth and Devil's Bridge: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=293157&Y=269829&A=Y&Z=120

A hill I feared and hated climbing when I was younger, I finally conquered it on a mountain bike when I was eighteen or so, then went back and rode up it on fixed as few years ago.  Now I love it, for its changing views of what is to me classical mid-Wales countryside: farmland at the bottom, oak woodland in the middle and open moorland at the top.  There's always something different to look at: kites, sheep, the stream and waterfalls, walkers, MTBers, tourists, roman remains.

Gospel Pass from the south.  It's just a lovely climb :)

+1 :thumbsup:

I also really enjoyed the climb up Roc Trevezel from Brest on PBP - a long, shallow hill, with a tailwind, light drizzle to keep you cool, and plenty of riders in front to chase down.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #14 on: 07 November, 2011, 12:34:32 pm »
I've not really done much in the way of classic climbs, much to my regret. Unless you count "The Struggle", out of Ambleside up to Kirkstone Pass. There was immense satisfaction to be had from getting up it, especially in the horrible conditions at the time (it started snowing before I reached the top), but I'm not sure that's the same as saying I really enjoyed it. Quite an adventure though.

I did a small bit of riding in the Alps many years ago with a couple of friends. We only did one big mountain pass (Col de la Croix Fry) and I loved it. Would gladly do that again any time. I'd love to go back one day and do the Alps properly, take in all the monuments. I much prefer those long, steady climbs that go on forever and give magnificent views of alpine scenery to the short, steep brutes you mostly get down here in SE England.

One of my objectives in my current weight loss plan is to be able to go up hills more easily/faster. My target is to be able to do the Bryan Chapman next year and be fit/light enough to properly enjoy it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

PeteT

« Reply #15 on: 07 November, 2011, 12:37:08 pm »
Trendlebeare Down in Devon (on the Bovey Tracey - Manaton road), part of the Dartmoor Classic route. Breathtaking views as you swing around the climb.

robbo6

« Reply #16 on: 07 November, 2011, 12:46:44 pm »
Albula Pass in the Grisons. Spectacular scenery with the trains looping around you as you climb, interesting botanically. And not bike-breakingly steep.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 07 November, 2011, 12:49:02 pm »
"Bike-breakingly steep"? I've never broken a bike on a climb, only my lungs!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 07 November, 2011, 05:54:31 pm »
Winnat's Pass, I suppose.  But generally I have a preference for climbs with fewer cars.
Getting there...

« Reply #19 on: 07 November, 2011, 07:04:18 pm »
In June I did both Col du Galibier and L'Alpe d'Huez and loved both of them. However neither compare with Mont Ventoux which I have done twice, it has to be the best climb at least in Europe.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 07 November, 2011, 07:57:07 pm »
In June I did both Col du Galibier and L'Alpe d'Huez and loved both of them.
Couldn't be bothered with the Glandon, eh? ;)

I actually think bringing non-UK climbs into this is a bit unfair, so i won't comment on my (v. brief) Alpine triumphs  :smug:

I've loved a few climbs in Wales, but they're confined to the 2 long Audaxes I've done, so nothing original:
From the BCM 600:
Pen-y-Pass from Beddgelert
The A487 climb parallel to the south side of Cader Idris (heading NE-ish)
From the MC1K:
The road past Llyn Brianne to Tregaron (I'm sure the summit has a name too, sorry)

None of these are bonkers hard, but with gorgeous views. The Llyn Brianne road wins cause it's a lot quieter, although climbing past Snowdon is inherently quite exciting. I hope to try some of the other Welsh classics in the near future.

(I found Gospel Pass had a lower views:grunting ratio. The constant changes in gradient made it mentally a real slog. Enjoyed finishing it more than climbing it. It's a nice valley, but not as stunning as the ones above.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21 on: 07 November, 2011, 08:17:23 pm »
I thoroughly enjoyed climbing to Pen y Pass from Llanberis with Charlotte last year - or more accurately, admiring Charlotte's shapely form disappearing into the distance. I'm sure it's not much of a challenge to many on this forum, but for a lard-arse like me with full camping gear, it was quite an achievement.

Possibly the most epic climb we've done on the tandem was Fleet Moss in April this year, this time laden for B & B touring. The sun set before we reached the top and the weather turned quite nasty, although I'm sure Fleet Moss could have thrown a lot worse at us. Much of it was achieved by pushing the bike, and we couldn't ride down safely to begin with because I couldn't see and I didn't trust the brakes in the wet. I'm glad we did it but I'm not keen to repeat the exercise. It remains the highest we have ever taken the tandem.

I think pride of place must be the ride up Arkengarthdale to the Tan Hill Inn. We did that on the tandem a few years ago and I did it again with the Deano-led crowd on 1st July this year. I think there is one section that would have defeated me if I'd had luggage, but it's not a terribly hard climb. It is, however, full of wonderful scenery and we were treated to the most beautiful mornings for both those ascents.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #22 on: 07 November, 2011, 08:41:08 pm »
I actually think bringing non-UK climbs into this is a bit unfair, so i won't comment on my (v. brief) Alpine triumphs  :smug:

Sorry didn't realise it was restricted to UK climbs.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #23 on: 07 November, 2011, 11:07:34 pm »
Bealach na Ba is a fantastic climb, and one with which I have unfinished business.

Despite a few well regarded photos, I have never yet ridden up Cairn O'Mount. But as has been pointed out, the scenery is fantastic.

I would hope that one day we could persuade some of the southern AUKs to travel North West and do the Snow Roads. The best climb is always one with a blether and a bridie at the end..

I've only ridden Llanberis pass once - from the Capel side. It was quite pleasant despite me being not of the climbing physique and having panniers as I was taking the long way round from Caseg Fraith (just up from Llyn Ogwen) to Bangor for the train home.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24 on: 07 November, 2011, 11:25:48 pm »
I actually think bringing non-UK climbs into this is a bit unfair

Don't be silly.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."