Author Topic: your favourite climb  (Read 19589 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: your favourite climb
« Reply #100 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:43:22 am »
One of my favourite, oft repeated climbs, is the one up the stairs to a nice hot shower after a good slog in the saddle ;D

We're talking about favourite hills Fuzzy, you arse, not what you and your wife get up to downstairs.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #101 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:49:38 am »
One of my favourite, oft repeated climbs, is the one up the stairs to a nice hot shower after a good slog in the saddle ;D

We're talking about favourite hills Fuzzy, you arse, not what you and your wife get up to downstairs.

Are you calling SWMBO a bike :o

Or a horse  >:(

;)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #102 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:11:15 am »
I'd call her accommodating.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #103 on: 16 May, 2013, 05:49:00 pm »
Currently on holiday in Pembrokeshire, SW Wales. If anyone is ever done here. You just have to venture up the Preseli hill range. I did a climb this morning that started at 240ft above sea level and 7.8 miles later I was at 1500ft with the most amazing vista at the top. Only got steep near the end at about 13% but the road surface was beautiful and it averaged 3% gradient. If anyone is ever in the area I highly suggest it.

Edit - Strava log of my ride, the Cat 2 climb is the one I was on about.

http://app.strava.com/activities/54477115

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #104 on: 16 May, 2013, 08:42:43 pm »
I was there two weeks ago on a Sportive called the Tour of Pembrokeshire.  We did the Preselis- one climb was their signature climb.  My favourite bit of the whole ride was the descent from the Preselis where I managed to achieve 56 mph!   That was VERY cool.  There is some excellent climbing to be had in Pembrokeshire it's true.

My ride http://app.strava.com/activities/51123922
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #105 on: 18 August, 2013, 12:47:05 pm »
Have discovered a little gem, Allt y Gwernant, which climbs out of Llangollen.  There is a sign at the bottom with 13% gradient.  Don't be fooled.  It climbs 130m in 700m - a sustained 18% over that 700m.  Did on the Cambrian 4C after already having done the Devil's Staircase and Bwlch-y-Groes and it rates up there with both of those.  It continues to climb less steeply after the bend, with a total ascent of about 240m.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Squarewheels

• Too much cake :sick:
« Reply #106 on: 24 August, 2013, 11:13:14 pm »
I like going up Cheddar Gorge, not particularly steep (apart from the beginning which turns me into a grunting weasel :-[) or long but good fun.

Another climb (which I couldn't manage in my 42x26 bottom gear...pansy) is that one from Elworthy up to the Raleghs Cross Inn, at Raleigh's Cross. It is STEEP up there...IMPWLO (in my poor weak legs' opinion - shut up legs - and lungs). So steep I had to lie down half way up  :facepalm:.

Ambition and determination did not make up for big gears, on steep hills with weak legs... :'(

« Reply #107 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:09:59 am »
Another vote for pen-y-pass and although I find it stunning it doesn't match El Teide in Tenerife :thumbsup:

caerau

« Reply #108 on: 25 August, 2013, 05:27:21 pm »
This http://www.strava.com/activities/77431605#1554576955 is a very cheeky climb. 

It's on a route I designed some time ago that takes in the notorious Penheol Ely Road climb from Pontypridd and The Tumble but in between them is this nasty little beggar.  I managed to do it the last time I tried it but miserably failed today due to just not having my real legs with me today :(  It starts with an 18% hairpin and continues at 18% (according to my Garmin at least) for a real extended period.  It then 'flattens out'.  I put that in quotation marks because the 'flat' bit I discovered today in a mere 10-12% - it just seems flat compared to the start.

A proper nasty and well worth a punt if you're in the Bedlinog area south of Tredegar.

« Reply #109 on: 25 August, 2013, 05:39:59 pm »
I like going up Cheddar Gorge, not particularly steep (apart from the beginning which turns me into a grunting weasel :-[) or long but good fun.

Another climb (which I couldn't manage in my 42x26 bottom gear...pansy) is that one from Elworthy up to the Raleghs Cross Inn, at Raleigh's Cross. It is STEEP up there...IMPWLO (in my poor weak legs' opinion - shut up legs - and lungs). So steep I had to lie down half way up  :facepalm:.

Ambition and determination did not make up for big gears, on steep hills with weak legs... :'(

There's no shame in using smaller gears these days. Ah, go on - treat yourself to a compact chainset.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Squarewheels

• Too much cake :sick:
« Reply #110 on: 25 August, 2013, 05:50:13 pm »
I'm gonna go for the wide range cassette with an XT RD - I'm far too cheap to get a decent  compact chainset... :-[

« Reply #111 on: 25 August, 2013, 08:33:13 pm »
The Dukes Pass at Aberfoyle. Not a big climb, but got a lot of good things:

1. Great views
2. Switch-backs so you can feel like your in the tour
3. Changing scenery from forests to moorland later on.

Close to home as well, so I can ride it often.

« Reply #112 on: 26 August, 2013, 04:34:12 pm »
This http://www.strava.com/activities/77431605#1554576955 is a very cheeky climb. 

It's on a route I designed some time ago that takes in the notorious Penheol Ely Road climb from Pontypridd and The Tumble but in between them is this nasty little beggar.  I managed to do it the last time I tried it but miserably failed today due to just not having my real legs with me today :(  It starts with an 18% hairpin and continues at 18% (according to my Garmin at least) for a real extended period.  It then 'flattens out'.  I put that in quotation marks because the 'flat' bit I discovered today in a mere 10-12% - it just seems flat compared to the start.

A proper nasty and well worth a punt if you're in the Bedlinog area south of Tredegar.
That climb is on the Trefil Trevail. You are right in that it is a pretty solid 17/18% all the way up, but the surface is great and as long as you get the rhythm right is a perfectly pleasant ascent.

Looks an excellent route you did, I will be doing the Trefil Trevail on the 28th September so I can attempt the Penheol Ely Road climb without stopping this time.

I've not done the Tumble, so that will need to be done at somepoint.

Ruth

« Reply #113 on: 26 August, 2013, 04:46:18 pm »

1. Great views

Lucky you. Lovely ride that.

caerau

« Reply #114 on: 27 August, 2013, 09:20:55 am »

That climb is on the Trefil Trevail. You are right in that it is a pretty solid 17/18% all the way up, but the surface is great and as long as you get the rhythm right is a perfectly pleasant ascent.

Looks an excellent route you did, I will be doing the Trefil Trevail on the 28th September so I can attempt the Penheol Ely Road climb without stopping this time.

I've not done the Tumble, so that will need to be done at somepoint.

Hi Gloverfan, thanks for that  :thumbsup:   Yes I managed the Bedlinog climb first time I tried it and was dead chuffed with myself as it's intense and no mistake.  Quite disappointed I didn't make it this time but I did do a hard cycling week before Sunday so I suspect that may have been to blame.  My mind was in weak-willed mode too - must HTFU.  Three times I've tried Penheol Ely Road now and 3 times I have walked the 27% section - I may need to get a triple for that.
It is a nice route but may be flat and too downhilly for some tastes once the Tumble is done.  Even after grovelling up all the hills and being totally knackered I managed the last 40 miles at something like 20 mph average rolling speed and have managed 5th overall on a Strava segment on the descent from the Tumble.  8)

The Tumble is a really good climb - famously so obviously - they did it on the Junior Tour of Britain yesterday if the signs I saw when going up there on Sunday were to be believed.  I'm quite familiar with the famed Rhigos and Bwlch climbs of Rhondda-Cynon-Taff and honestly don't find them too bad even though they're both about a 1000 ft tall and 5-8% average gradient.   The Tumble is about 1200 ft and is 12-14% for long stretches so is much more difficult.  I haven't managed it in one go yet but I will, it is a steady climb with no silly-steep sections.  The trouble is I keep trying it on _this_ route and my legs are always shredded before I get there - two 20% ish climbs and several other nasties beforehand don't really help  :facepalm:

« Reply #115 on: 27 August, 2013, 12:44:44 pm »
Incorporated the Tumble into a 75 mile ride this morning. One word: Incredible.

Spent a lot of it on the smallest gear 34 on the front, 28 on the rear. Managed it comfortably in one go and paced it well meaning I could get out the saddle on the upper slopes on the 23 sprocket. Highly recommended, my new favourite climb.

caerau

« Reply #116 on: 27 August, 2013, 12:47:11 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #117 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:25:25 pm »
Some stats from Strava:

Tumble 2.9 miles avg 8.2% gradient avg speed 7.1mph avg hr 167bpm 244th/536 24:52

« Reply #118 on: 18 October, 2014, 08:26:52 pm »
I think mine is the Crow Road. Quite a gentle gradient (average 5%, so says Strava), and 3 miles long. The views are lovely (though last time I went up, last weekend, there was an eerie layer of mist), and it's long enough to just twiddle away at my own pace.

« Reply #119 on: 18 October, 2014, 09:05:59 pm »
Some lovely old pictures there, phanta, thanks!

« Reply #120 on: 18 October, 2014, 09:26:49 pm »
I enjoyed pottering up park rash in the first week of sepember .1 in 4 in steps .coming back down it was interesting to .I was glad the trice has a drag brake   :o  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #121 on: 19 October, 2014, 12:19:56 am »
The Struggle, Ambleside to the Kirkstone pass Inn ...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #122 on: 19 October, 2014, 07:07:35 am »

1. Great views

Lucky you. Lovely ride that.
Yup...absolutely.

« Reply #123 on: 19 October, 2014, 08:45:26 am »
I've never ridden up The Tumble. It is on the Cambrian 10A but I took a lane that goes up the side of The Tumble with a gradient of about 33%. It was a long walk on fixed with about 600 hilly miles in my legs and I kept falling asleep after several steps as it was sometime around midnight.
Then when I descended The Tumble, it was dark and very foggy, so it was a slow descent.

The only time I've tried to ride up The Struggle was one Christmas when the road was covered in snow and ice, so I walked most of it. Before then I'd only ever descended it in the dark on the Knotty 600. One year my front light broke, so I had a torch taped to my handlebars then got a front wheel puncture descending The Struggle.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #124 on: 19 October, 2014, 05:30:32 pm »
One of the great thing about climbs and why I actively seek out hilly terrain on tours, is the terrific descents you get...(as well as views).  I discovered a new descent this year, by doing the Lecht in the opposite direction to that which I have climbed it previously.  I usually do it after visiting friends in Crathes, on my way to the Cairngorms, but this September I visited those friends on my way back to Aberdeen for the train home.  For the first time I realised what a great descent it is after Corgarff down to Bridge of Gairn.  The road is reasonably wide, surface good and the hills beyond seem to rush towards as you fly down.  A "wow" of a descent which really makes the climb up worth it.   

I found a new favourite today...borrowed an MTB off a friend who is hoping to sell it to me and took it to the Surrey Hills.  Found an off road route over White Down (well, I was supposed to follow the bridleway along the bottom but got lost and ended up on the footpath which takes right to the viewpoint on Ranmore Common.). Lovely.