Author Topic: your favourite climb  (Read 19590 times)

Re: your favourite climb
« Reply #25 on: 07 November, 2011, 11:57:58 pm »
Pen-y-Pass for me. Starts from Bedgelert then climbs through woodland. The a lake appears as you winch your way up. It's not a tough climb if you take it steady and is pretty easy for me on a 53/17. Once you get past the lake, and maybe a way past the lake, it gets less steep and the scenery becomes more sparse. After a short while, you look back to the woodland and are a bit surprised that that large lake you were cycling alongside has become a small lake some way beneath you. Then a gentle climb up to the top. Don't be put off about turning left to Llanberis. It looks very steep, but that's a trick of the eye because it's actually coming towards you. Trust me, you've done the steepest bit now. Then as you turn left and do the last little bit with views of where you've just ridden then turn the corner, by golly, there's a cafe! What more could you want!
Yes, I like that climb. :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 08 November, 2011, 12:31:50 am »
I think I need to go and do Pen-y-Pass again in the other direction...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 08 November, 2011, 10:03:40 am »
I actually think bringing non-UK climbs into this is a bit unfair, so i won't comment on my (v. brief) Alpine triumphs  :smug:

Sorry didn't realise it was restricted to UK climbs.
It wasn't - it's just my opinion. In practice these threads always turn into international travel stories. For me, it's too much like comparing apples with oranges.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 08 November, 2011, 10:28:24 am »
<I'll-tempered>Maybe just try stating your favourite climbs, and keep your hole shut about other people's choices  ::-) </ill-tempered>

For me, Gospel Pass from Hay. Only one tough bit after the cattle grid, but the way it opens up is just magical every time. The last bit of the climb can be done really fast.

Pen y Pass from Beddgelert. One of those climbs where you wind yourself into the sky. I will never forget my first BCM when I winched myself up in the darkness and could see a trail of White lights in the valley below and the a snake of red lights up in the clouds going round the final bends.

The road up to Lliane Briane reservoir from Llandovery. Beautiful.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 08 November, 2011, 10:33:12 am »
Not remotely Alpine, nor tendon-tearingly tough, but the climb of Stank in Wharfedale rewards you with just about the prettiest view I have ever seen.
Getting there...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #30 on: 08 November, 2011, 11:22:02 am »
Winnat's Pass, I suppose.  But generally I have a preference for climbs with fewer cars.

For looming large in my imagination, taking absolutely no prisoners whatsoever and generally being a foreboding bastard of a climb, it's got to be Winnats.  For climbs that I enjoyed while I was riding up them, as opposed to when I anticipated the challenge and then enjoyed the eurphoria once I'd topped out, I'll choose:

1) Mt Ventoux from Bedoin - perfect weather helped, as did beating my ride partner by 20 minutes  8)
2) Holme Moss from Holmfirth - surely the nearest to a continental climb that you can get in England
3) Honister Pass from Buttermere

« Reply #31 on: 08 November, 2011, 11:33:15 am »
My feeling about the 'alpine climbs' is just jealousy. I'm highly unlikely to ever get the chance to try them and they look so beautiful.

MrB, Holme Moss is stunning - but IMO, the Saddleworth into Greenfield descent is the nicer descent (Holme Moss used to be my "I'll pop up the road for some exercise" ride).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #32 on: 08 November, 2011, 11:41:00 am »
MrB, Holme Moss is stunning - but IMO, the Saddleworth into Greenfield descent is the nicer descent (Holme Moss used to be my "I'll pop up the road for some exercise" ride).

You're probably right there.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #33 on: 08 November, 2011, 11:53:56 am »
My feeling about the 'alpine climbs' is just jealousy. I'm highly unlikely to ever get the chance to try them and they look so beautiful.

This is why I cherish the one I've done so highly - it was 23 years ago!

But to get back to the OP, I can't think of many climbs I actually enjoy climbing for the sake of climbing them - there has to be something else about them to give me a reason to climb them, like a good view. If I do a hilly ride, it's more for the challenge than the enjoyment of climbing. Maybe if I can shed a few more pounds, I'll start to enjoy the climbs a bit more. I'd like to have another go at The Struggle when I'm fitter (and preferably in better weather conditions).

Actually, the climb up Ashdown Forest that Martin mentioned in the OP is quite a nice one - it's not too steep, so you can get a decent rhythm going without busting your lungs. I've been up it a couple of times on the Hop Garden 200 and it's especially lovely at that time of year seeing the forest carpeted with bluebells.

(Holme Moss used to be my "I'll pop up the road for some exercise" ride).

Nice. I used to use the Cow & Calf climb out of Ilkley for the same when I lived in Leeds, but that's not a particularly nice climb because it's a main road and you're always mixing with cars.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #34 on: 08 November, 2011, 12:24:33 pm »
I think I need to go and do Pen-y-Pass again in the other direction...
IIRC, I've done Pen-y-Pass southbound about 5 times, and never northbound.

I've done Bealach na Ba just once, eastbound.  Within about 100m of the top, my friend put his Sturmey-Archer-dynohub-fitted front wheel in a rut, twisted it, and the wheel exploded - several spokes unhooked from the hub, as they were in slots rather than holes.  We re-built the wheel with only an adjustable spanner, screwdriver and a pair of pliers, and it lasted us back to Applecross (the long way round via Shieldaig).

My favourite climb is the 50m (vertical dimension) from the centre of Derby to my house; because that means I've finished for the day.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

fuzzy

« Reply #35 on: 08 November, 2011, 12:48:14 pm »
The String between Brodick and Blackwatersfoot is the best climb I have yet done (both directions).

I would love to do some of the Grand Tour climbs though.

« Reply #36 on: 08 November, 2011, 01:19:05 pm »
It's a toss-up between Stoney Lane,
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.599127,-2.758083&spn=0.000051,0.030513&t=h&z=15&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.599164,-2.757921&panoid=bifnqLJn7mUGBsg8KbXhEg&cbp=12,69.22,,0,18.23

and Parson's Bullough Road.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Parson's+Bullough+Rd,+Anderton,+Lancashire+PR6+9,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=53.639702,-2.573805&spn=0.000051,0.030513&sll=53.599152,-2.757912&sspn=0.011027,0.030513&vpsrc=0&geocode=FXN5MgMd4MjY_w&hnear=Parson's+Bullough+Rd,+Anderton,+Lancashire+PR6+9,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.639737,-2.573585&panoid=25TMurwyKOqGn6cOeMTsJw&cbp=12,87.59,,0,15.82

It depends on the time of year, the bluebells are nice on Parson's Bullough, but there's a very nice herd of Belted Galloways in the fields next to Stoney Lane in the Spring and Summer, and it's always a joy to see some fine cows with calves at foot. They both come at the point in local rides where I've warmed up enough to be riding the bike automatically, so I'm more aware of the surroundings than how laboured my breathing is.

« Reply #37 on: 08 November, 2011, 01:30:37 pm »

It's also a nice, steady climb done the otherway, as is the  traffic-light moorland climb from Denshaw past the reservoirs up towards Huddersfield - do you remember it?

« Reply #38 on: 08 November, 2011, 01:39:34 pm »
The road up to Lliane Briane reservoir from Llandovery. Beautiful.

Llyn Brianne for me too.  Slartibartfast was a consultant on the design of the lake, you know.  Only done it 3 times I think, which is criminal considering it's in striking distance.  Trouble is, at the top end you have the choice of left turn, telephone box road and on to Tregaron; or right turn and up Devil's Staircase from the NW, and a walk, if you're sensible, down the other side.  Incidentally, the road up from Abergwesyn to the foot of the D's S'case from the other side is hardly a climb, but can take the breath away.

Close run things:
- The Sarn Helen road by Afon Llia from Ystradfellte to the D's Elbow - participants on the Transporter 200 came down it on Saturday

Sarn Helen Rd by Afon Llia by spoons1632
- the road running alongside Upper Tawe from Tafarn yr Garreg to Glasfynnydd
- The Gwrhyd from Rhyd-yfro. A few miles from my front door.  Starts at a pub, climbs fairly sharply through woodland before opening out onto moorland.  A further 2 or 3 miles of net upwards undulations and you come to this isolated chapel and a view of the Black Mountain

Gwrhyd by spoons1632, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 08 November, 2011, 01:45:30 pm »
Also, how come nobody's mentioned Smalldean Lane? :)

« Reply #40 on: 08 November, 2011, 01:47:03 pm »
Smalldean Lane.

Eventually.

« Reply #41 on: 08 November, 2011, 01:47:59 pm »

It's also a nice, steady climb done the otherway, as is the  traffic-light moorland climb from Denshaw past the reservoirs up towards Huddersfield - do you remember it?
Don't think I ever rode that route. I used to do Holmfirth to Greenfield and back every day, as part of my commute. Saddleworth moor is a bit parky in winter.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #42 on: 08 November, 2011, 01:51:17 pm »
My favourite must be the mountain road heading west out of Rhayader towards Cwmystwyth and Devil's Bridge: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=293157&Y=269829&A=Y&Z=120

A hill I feared and hated climbing when I was younger, I finally conquered it on a mountain bike when I was eighteen or so, then went back and rode up it on fixed as few years ago.  Now I love it, for its changing views of what is to me classical mid-Wales countryside: farmland at the bottom, oak woodland in the middle and open moorland at the top.  There's always something different to look at: kites, sheep, the stream and waterfalls, walkers, MTBers, tourists, roman remains.

Gospel Pass from the south.  It's just a lovely climb :)

+1 :thumbsup:

I also really enjoyed the climb up Roc Trevezel from Brest on PBP - a long, shallow hill, with a tailwind, light drizzle to keep you cool, and plenty of riders in front to chase down.

Funnily enough one of my favourite climbs is also the Rhayader-Cwmystwyth road but going eastwards, starting from Trawscoed and climbing through Cwmystwyth to cross the Dyfed/Powys boundary just about the summit with the head of one stream going west and the Elan river going east and the mountain road stretching out in front. I haven't had the opportunity to do it since the late 70's but it rests in the memory.
It might be because I was light and fit at the time (and it is not that hard a climb). I haven't found quite the same pleasure on various cols during BCMF events with the possible exception of the Pas de Peyrol during the 2010 event from Aurillac (Tourist option, easy side,  first thing a sunday morning before it got too hot, pleasant female company met by chance on the climb). For the record I have also suffered hideously on the same col going the 17% side loaded for camping in a heatwave.

« Reply #43 on: 08 November, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »
I am surprised no on has mentioned Bwlch y Groes and Milltir Gerrig. When I lived in Kinnerley one of my tougher rides was to do both of these on a route from home going around Bala and Vyrnwy Lakes.

I to have a date next year with Beadlach na Ba having injured myself attempting it last month.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

fuzzy

« Reply #44 on: 08 November, 2011, 02:06:52 pm »
Also, how come nobody's mentioned Smalldean Lane? :)

I don't think Smalledean Lane is enjoyable.

It is a) a bastard, b) a challenge and c) a bastard.

The same can be said of other climbs in the same environs.

« Reply #45 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:04:32 pm »
My favourites are a couple I tackle on a 40 mile loop from Maidenhead.
My favourites are 'The Italian Climb' between Turville & Christmas common, then back up Britwell Hill the other side of Watlington. Britwell Hill is the best,  nice views up there!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #46 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:08:50 pm »
The Cold Fell Road is my local hill climb - not a bad hill either :)

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #47 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:13:11 pm »

Got a bit of a Sellafield look about it?

« Reply #48 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:14:44 pm »

Got a bit of a Sellafield look about it?
He's not allowed to say  ;)

« Reply #49 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:33:42 pm »
There's a sense of achievement on reaching the top of Smalldean Lane without dismounting but I can't really describe it as a favourite.  I've not done many big climbs and those that I have enjoyed stick in my mind because of who I was with more than because of the climb itself. 

Ditchling Beacon is a nice one, particularly at sunrise, when the view through the trees on the left takes some beating. 

I also love the slow climb up through the Slad valley. (Not that I've done that since 1987 when it was, briefly, part of my commute.)