Author Topic: your favourite climb  (Read 19698 times)

Re: your favourite climb
« Reply #75 on: 22 February, 2013, 11:50:47 am »
Zigzag Hill.  Somewhere near Shaftesbury.  In the sunshine, with a hangover and a belly full of fry-up and a pannier full of cheese and assorted lightweight foods and someone else being the sherpa for all the boozahol.

Which reminded me to post this photo:

The pannier (on the right) was also full of beer. It's an amazingly effective way of getting extra space from drivers - I reckon they reasoned that the world contains a near-endless supply of people, but only limited supplies of beer. Protect the beer!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #76 on: 23 February, 2013, 11:04:56 am »
Ever tried the climb south out of Dursley on the main road?

The road to Stichcombe, or East up to Uley? I still have a house in Wotton, so know the area well.

Derr, just realised you mean the road towards Tetbury. I was unsure as the road up to Stichcombe from Cam is horrid.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #77 on: 23 February, 2013, 11:29:16 am »

Im not the greatest climber in the world but I love this ride , quiet roads and a real wilderness  feel ,its the ride up to the Cross O Greet from Slaidburn.
once done in snow on a xmas forum ride
Heres some fitter  than me cyclists doing it from the Bentham side in the ToB

« Reply #78 on: 24 February, 2013, 08:59:43 pm »
onb, it is a great climb.  I've done it several times from either side.  I think I prefer the southern descent though, for the views, but you've still got a bit of work to do to get to Slaidburn!

« Reply #79 on: 24 February, 2013, 09:43:16 pm »
I have a couple of faves.

Frocester Hill on the edge of the Cotswolds. Solid 10% all the way up with sweeping bends and an alpine feel to it.

A466 climb from Tintern to Chepstow. Not steep at all, but can get a really good rhythm and get some good speed up it.

« Reply #80 on: 05 March, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »
Mine is "The Struggle" from Ambleside upto The Kirkstone Inn. Not the toughest climb ever ridden but combine the challenge with the scenery it is simply divine :-)

Richard A Thackeray

• Yorkshire Born & Bred
« Reply #81 on: 08 May, 2013, 12:30:18 pm »
Holme Moss; enough said, an icon!!
http://www.rural-roads.co.uk/a6024/a60241.shtml

The Strines; a beast from south to north!!

Snake Pass; from Glossop

Lee Lane ; Halifax, from Shibden Mill Inn to the Ski-Slope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf9X2iEvxTI

Trooper Lane; Halifax, onlty found this one, because it was in a 'trail-race' I ran on Sunday.
It ascends 570 feet in half-a-mile!!!! (that'd be a catagory A climb in a fell-race, plus a wading of the River Calder 50 yards from the finish)
http://www.stainlandlions.com/Club_Races/2013/BluebellTrail/index.htm  (map @ bottom of page)

« Reply #82 on: 08 May, 2013, 01:04:30 pm »
I like Park Rash, but I'm sure that the Pendle 600 will have plenty of climbs that surpass it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/INe-UPqvyt8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/INe-UPqvyt8&rel=1</a>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #83 on: 08 May, 2013, 01:35:58 pm »
Sounds … to … me (puff) … that … (gasp) … that part… par … particular ride (bloody Norah!) took it … (come on!!) … out of you Dr Mekon!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #84 on: 08 May, 2013, 09:45:21 pm »
Sounds … to … me (puff) … that … (gasp) … that part… par … particular ride (bloody Norah!) took it … (come on!!) … out of you Dr Mekon!

Not me, thankfully.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #85 on: 08 May, 2013, 11:07:41 pm »

Frocester Hill on the edge of the Cotswolds. Solid 10% all the way up with sweeping bends and an alpine feel to it.

A466 climb from Tintern to Chepstow. Not steep at all, but can get a really good rhythm and get some good speed up it.

Frocester Hill.

I've done that  :smug:  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #86 on: 08 May, 2013, 11:30:38 pm »
I have many climbs that I quite enjoy simply of the satisfaction of getting to the top without stopping, but I guess one of the other factors is the descent on the other side.  Martin's suggestion, which started this thread off, offers a great stretch of downhill, as do some of those (that I know) mentioned elsewhere. I've enjoyed some cracking descents in the Pyrenees - overtaking cars coming down the Col de Tourmalet, for example.  But I think my favourite might  well be the road down into Glengariff on the Cork and Kerry border alongside Bantry Bay  http://www.irelands-directory.com/Cork/Bantry%20bay/maps.html.

I don't recall the climb up to it (having ridden a circuit of the peninsula with some leg-busting 25% gradients on the northern side) being particularly tough but it was certainly scenic, with views of the bay to the right. The road down had been widened and resurfaced, with the result that I hit 95kph on the way down before chickening out and starting to stroke the brakes.

A good job, really. The smooth road ended quite abruptly and then arrived, with little warning, at a T junction!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #87 on: 09 May, 2013, 10:54:08 am »
Jealous of those who have Pennines Grampians Cambrians etc on doorstep.  For me a favourite climb is one you keep going back to.  So, in my area.

Pickaxe Lane from S. Warnborough towards Froyle
Bignor Hill despite the road surface (or perhaps because of it)
The new cycle path (the old A3) up to Hindhead (but only early in the morning)
Stonor Hill from Petersfield - always good to see the Trooper Inn and know you are near the top.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #88 on: 09 May, 2013, 12:15:07 pm »
I agree with CET about repeat experiences - my local faves are Caerphilly moutain - do it regularly, often multiple time in a week - and the Rhigos and Bwlch climbs in the Rhonddha-Cynon-Taff region.  Rhigos and Bwlch because they are long glorious climbs with great views and are not so difficult. Caerphilly because it is (a) a bastard, (b) challenging and (c) a bastard ;).  For me at least - but I am a beginner at climbing still.  I look forward to trying some of the meaner Welsh climbs - I must do the Tumble one of these days too.
I have done the Gospel pass but it was icy when I went up so that took away some of its merit.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #89 on: 09 May, 2013, 05:44:40 pm »
I dislike climbing so do not have a favourite.I do however sometimes get a sense of satisfaction from not resorting to the 24" gear on some of the hills I have ridden up.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #90 on: 10 May, 2013, 12:44:16 pm »

Frocester Hill.

I've done that  :smug:  ;D

I have too..... I've also found that there are lots of ways of not going up it!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #91 on: 10 May, 2013, 01:53:28 pm »
I agree with CET about repeat experiences - my local faves are Caerphilly moutain - do it regularly, often multiple time in a week - and the Rhigos and Bwlch climbs in the Rhonddha-Cynon-Taff region.  Rhigos and Bwlch because they are long glorious climbs with great views and are not so difficult. Caerphilly because it is (a) a bastard, (b) challenging and (c) a bastard ;).  For me at least - but I am a beginner at climbing still.  I look forward to trying some of the meaner Welsh climbs - I must do the Tumble one of these days too.
I have done the Gospel pass but it was icy when I went up so that took away some of its merit.

Two illegitemate parents.  It must have had a hard life. 

Bignor hill might be a bastard but its daddy was allegedly Emperor Claudius (when it was first carved out of the South Downs chalk as part of the Roman supply chain to bring civilisation to our pagan isle).
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #92 on: 10 May, 2013, 02:24:07 pm »
good climb for me has to be not too steep, with good views and surface and a fast descent on the other side. i enjoyed most of the climbs on 1001miglia in italy - what a fantastic place to ride a bike!

« Reply #93 on: 10 May, 2013, 02:41:17 pm »
This may sound really wuss of me, but although I enjoy (if that's the right word) the likes of Ditchling or White Down (never really ridden in mountains, so you'll have to make do with that) what I really enjoy is very slight inclines say, like the one from New Cross to the South Circular through Brockley and Crofton Park, where you can stamp on the pedals and feel the legs burning whilst you fly along at a fair old clip - the lattermost of which is never going to happen on Ditchling, White Down or most of the climbs named above. Doubtless, some would not even regard this as climbing, thobut.

« Reply #94 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:49:57 pm »
Thinking about climbs very local to me, I like: Skipton Old Road (either direction, though coming up from Carleton is a bit of a killer!), the Herders Road, and the Nick of Pendle (of course!). 

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #95 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:53:36 pm »
My current Swindonian nemesis is the climb out of Wroughton to the top of Hackpen Hill. Definite lungbuster IME.

I'll be tackling it this weekend, but from the other side - long meandering climb up the back of it, and then the whoooosh down the main road back into town.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #96 on: 10 May, 2013, 04:04:21 pm »

Caerphilly because it is (a) a bastard, (b) challenging and (c) a bastard ;).

Two illegitemate parents.  It must have had a hard life. 

You may need to go through the backlog of this to understand the reason for my description.  Someone upthread described a climb on a road called Smalldean Lane in this manner ;)

Been over the Caerphilly mountain, through to Caerphilly itself and back to Cardiff this lunchtime - a damn good workout.  400m of climbing is not too bad for a lunchbreak methinks  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #97 on: 10 May, 2013, 04:49:43 pm »
Porlock toll road. Gentle, alpine feel & quiet traffic wise...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #98 on: 10 May, 2013, 06:04:23 pm »
Not a climb compared to any of the above, but I always enjoy the A40 up from Llandovery.  7 miles of gentle up, and always with a tailwind.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

fuzzy

« Reply #99 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:32:36 am »
One of my favourite, oft repeated climbs, is the one up the stairs to a nice hot shower after a good slog in the saddle ;D