Author Topic: TBD York Social Rides  (Read 44541 times)

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
Re: TBD York Social Rides
« Reply #25 on: 20 February, 2012, 06:16:16 pm »
CA and I will come along this week. We've not done much cycling recently so this will be the start to our 2012 riding.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #26 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:32:51 pm »
Me!  However, I have to remain on soft drinks.
Some colleagues and I are doing some investigations into communication links to various items of equipment at York signalbox on Thursday night, starting at 2330.  Once your last NTR train has gone through, we'll be pulling out various plugs and sockets.  So rather than getting a lift in the pool car with my colleagues, I'll get the dangly-bike-spaces train north early, in the company of the Orange Bling.  Train arrives York at 1829.  Then homeward-bound at about 0600 Friday, laden down with megabytes of captured data.

Like a night ride, just different.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #27 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:50:32 pm »
Me!  However, I have to remain on soft drinks.
Some colleagues and I are doing some investigations into communication links to various items of equipment at York signalbox on Thursday night, starting at 2330.  Once your last NTR train has gone through, we'll be pulling out various plugs and sockets.  So rather than getting a lift in the pool car with my colleagues, I'll get the dangly-bike-spaces train north early, in the company of the Orange Bling.  Train arrives York at 1829.  Then homeward-bound at about 0600 Friday, laden down with megabytes of captured data.

Like a night ride, just different.

\o/ Brilliant! I shall have a none wobbly rear wheel this time (although it is MUCH louder)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #28 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:38:59 am »
I am thinking a run out to Appleton Roebuck might be in order, down to the Shoulder of Mutton (I think that was the one we went to last time)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #29 on: 22 February, 2012, 11:50:06 am »
I am thinking a run out to Appleton Roebuck might be in order, down to the Shoulder of Mutton (I think that was the one we went to last time)
It was.
This being the case, I shall meet you at the entrance to the Acaster industrial estate like I did last time - I'll be riding the monster truck.

Also, I'll make sure I have cash just in case the credit card machines decide to throw a fit again (you had to be there ...)

And this time I will remember to call you when we leave the station.....

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #30 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:33:02 pm »
We will, if all goes to plan, be dazzled by the presence of Tiptop, once of this forum, on this ride!  *happy dance*
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #31 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:41:39 pm »
We will, if all goes to plan, be dazzled by the presence of Tiptop, once of this forum, on this ride!  *happy dance*

Well, in that case, I might put in an appearance.  Admittedly, York isn't really far enough to go to meet her, but I should probably buy her a cocktail or two if I see her, to thank her for the meal she bought me on her  last night in Delhi...
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #32 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:45:58 pm »
Does that mean two to stay in the Den then?

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #33 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:05:23 pm »
Does that mean two to stay in the Den then?

If you'll have us, we're there!
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #34 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:08:30 pm »
I'll even (pay someone else to) put clean bedding on the bed for youse!

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #35 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:12:01 pm »
I'll even (pay someone else to) put clean bedding on the bed for youse!

You're much too kind.  Just clearing a space on the floor would have been good enough for me, but a bed with bedding on, and clean bedding at that, even better...you haven't forgotten we let you sleep on the sofa when you were here, have you?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #36 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:20:43 pm »
We can probably even run to porridge...

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #37 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:26:45 pm »
We can probably even run to porridge...

Buttered toast it is!

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #38 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:28:28 pm »
It was.
This being the case, I shall meet you at the entrance to the Acaster industrial estate like I did last time - I'll be riding the monster truck.

Are we ok to meet at the same spot as last time on Bishopthorpe road?

LindaG

« Reply #39 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:42:54 am »
So, just to clarify, 1830 at the station?

tiermat

« Reply #40 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:44:33 am »
For those coming to the station, yes 18:30 in the usual corner.

CU, yes we will meet you outside Terry's again, and I promise not to get lost, go over the bridge and have to come back again :)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #41 on: 24 February, 2012, 12:46:05 am »
Beer!

Food!

Pie!

Chips!

Smiles  :)

PUPPIES!

LindaG

« Reply #42 on: 24 February, 2012, 12:56:57 am »
Chins! Breasts!

« Reply #43 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:00:59 am »
Marvelous breasts they are, too.

This thread constantly reminds me that we live in the Wrong Place :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #44 on: 24 February, 2012, 01:05:29 pm »
Yesterday for me was another trip to York Minster to photograph my own head, combined with the Thursday night pub ride

Because I didn't want to ride into the wind on the flat I picked a hilly route. Stokesley then over Clay Bank, Newgate Bank and through Helmsley to York, all on B roads.

I remembered it as being flat after Helmsley but there were another 10 miles of hill before it really flattened out.  Arrived at the Minster at 5.15, took some dusky pictures of my own head and my bike outside the front door, and then met some fellow yacfers for a pub ride out to Appleton Roebuck.

The solo part of the day wasn't as good as being out with friends later. I'd expected a really warm day, but it was another slog into the wind, and although I could always see sun on the horizon, I spent the whole way to York under a heavy cloud that never lifted (probably metaphorically as we as literally) until I got to the Minster, where I amused myself no end outside the front doors.  Because of the time of day, there was hardly anyone around, so I fooled around taking pictures of my bike to prove it was there.

I got to York train station at 6 pm, and as I got into the station proper my attention was grabbed by two young attractive women buying burgers.  One of them I recognised as my wife of 13 years, and the other one looked very much like a drunk woman I'd bundled into a taxi at the Ajanta Hotel in Delhi a few weeks ago, after a night on beer and cocktails.  It was.  It was tiptop.

It was lovely to see her looking sober again.  We had a nice catchup, and then Rower turned up on his bright orange bike, but not as bright as what came after him.  It was Interzen, looking like a mobile sun and riding a tractor / monster truck which made the rest of our bikes look like things you might find in a Christmas cracker.

After a day slogging it out into the wind by myself I loved riding in the dark in a big gang all lit up again.  I had a further nice chat with tiptop about the bonkersness of India and we arrived at yet another great pub.  They're bloody everywhere.  We had chips and other foodstuffs, and in a new twist, this pub seemed to be trying a new marketing ploy out, which was to bring puppies out for you to cuddle.  I'd never seen this in a pub before. 

After a dreamy evening of puppies, chips and beer we set off again back to York, and it felt warmer than it had all day, and the eight of us rode two by two, and I was at the back, and I loved seeing all the lights strung out in front. 

Unfortunately, the evening was spoiled somewhat by Ruth skidding off on some oil after turning a corner we didn't need to turn down. It was me who'd misunderstood Interzen's instructions and shouted to her to turn so as well as being upset, I was annoyed that it was all so unnecessary.  But if you're going to crash in the street I can't think of a nicer group of people to pick you up and look after you when it happens. Tiermat was particularly good at talking Ruth round, but everyone was wonderfully kind and I'm glad to belong to this group.

Unfortunately, during the afternoon and evening, I suffered a return to the bladder problems I had on some longer rides last year, where I'm off the bike into every bush to pee about every 5 minutes, and then I end up feeling drained at the end of the day. Not sure I did anything differently to the last few times I've been out. Apologies to the fellow yacfers who had to stand around whistling while I was peeing everywhere. Bloody salts or sugars or electrolytes or whatever it was.

Just when you think you've had as much good stuff as can be allowed in one day, we got to stop over at the Den, where we got lots of tea, and a duvet made of fluffy clouds, and Rower turned up after doing some work on the trains.  And despite Ruth being battered, she slept like a baby in the big fluffy duvet, and she didn't move all night, although I did, because I was still getting up to pee pretty regularly.  I hope I didn't disturb Rower asleep on the sofa.

This morning Rower led us back to York station, and like the gentleman he is, made sure we got on the train home.  And so now we're home.  We had planned to ride back from York today, but Ruth is all bashed up, and I feel a bit washed out, and beside I did 76 miles yesterday, so that's probably quite enough for now, and I should probably take the rest of the day off.

But thanks to everyone who came along last night.  It was a lovely evening.  My first pub ride in York, and hopefully not the last. 

tiermat

« Reply #45 on: 24 February, 2012, 01:42:24 pm »
Last night, barring the un-planned dismount onto tarmac by LG, was an absolutely fabulous night.

8 good friends, riding through dark country lanes to a country pub (two pub quizes in 2 pub visits, shall have to see if we can keep this going :) ), beer, chips then ride back home (well to the train station in my case).

It was great to see everyone, and I know when I come a cropper on my bike I want a group of friends round me like we had last night.

I do feel like a very lucky man to have such friends.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #46 on: 24 February, 2012, 04:27:20 pm »

I very often have the same thouight.Typically onna Thursday.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #47 on: 24 February, 2012, 04:33:00 pm »
GWS LG
 :-*

LindaG

« Reply #48 on: 25 February, 2012, 05:59:13 am »
Ah, I'm fine, thanks guys.  But many brownie points to Tiermat for Saying The Right Things, and to Rower40 who was just a total honey and made my breakfast and shepherded us onto the train, and was really good fun.

It was a grand night out, I'm so pleased I went, tiptop had me creased up with laughter within minutes of seeing her (she always does that) and the riding was wonderful under the new Moon, with the old Moon in its arms, and planets up there and down here, and stuff. 

And the puppies!  (happy sigh)

Now I get to spend the weekend off my face on codeine  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #49 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:01:04 am »

I very often have the same thouight.Typically onna Thursday.

Me three! Especially every time we head 'oop norf' for a lunch/coffee/chinwag/bike anorak/walk in the park with some of the nicest peeps we know!

Phil. See you on the 12th. Flat ride. Pub lunch - no alcohol, I have to drive gnome afterwards!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.