Author Topic: TBD York Social Rides  (Read 44845 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: TBD York Social Rides
« Reply #75 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:39:39 am »
Wednesday this week? Might head North for once this week, either do our loop around our a straight ride to Thirsk (~25 miles and doable in 2 1/2 hours in time for food then last train back to York for those so needing it)

The forecast is for double figure temps until late evening, so should be a nice evening for it.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #76 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:52:42 am »
I can't do Wednesday this week - boys are with me :)  I'll head up to NTR on thurs thobut!

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #77 on: 12 March, 2012, 05:10:00 pm »
Wednesday is good for me.

tiermat

« Reply #78 on: 13 March, 2012, 09:03:35 pm »
I will deffo be there, 18:30, York station concourse, near the travel centre.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #79 on: 14 March, 2012, 03:49:14 pm »
Not sure whether I'll be out tonight - the fairy has followed me on the past two Wednesdays, so I'm probably best off well away! Still a bit tempted though, especially as it looks to be in the opposite direction to place of many punctures Naburn...

I also have an almost-snapped-and-certainly-not-functional front derailleur cable, which means I'm stuck in the 52t ring. Definitely won't have time to change it before this evening...are there hills? :-\

tiermat

« Reply #80 on: 14 March, 2012, 03:50:07 pm »
In answer to your last question, hand on heart, NO HILLS.

« Reply #81 on: 14 March, 2012, 05:04:22 pm »
Hmm...any COR? (My only semi-functional bike has 23s...)

tiermat

« Reply #82 on: 14 March, 2012, 05:24:12 pm »
NO COR either.... promise, on scout's honor etc.

« Reply #83 on: 14 March, 2012, 05:32:16 pm »
Ah well, looks like I'm out. Left work to discover that the Wednesday fairy has struck AGAIN (and I wasn't even in Naburn). :'( The pump I keep at work appears to have given up the ghost, so there's no way I'd make it back in time anyway.

Have a good ride. :)

tiermat

« Reply #84 on: 15 March, 2012, 08:36:33 am »
That's a real shame you couldn't make it out.

Last night was a blast, in the end it was just me and CU at the train station.  As it was a fine night and the wind was from the South, and CU expressed no preference as to destination, distance etc I made the executive decision that we were going to do the York > Thirsk run.

So we followed the usual route, bike path out to Shipton then up through Helperby onto Topcliffe and then Thirsk.

We stopped in Topcliffe for food, beer and a warm up.  I had a burger, CU had a Parmo and we both ordered extra sides, me chips, CU salad.

Once replete and warm we discussed wether CU should ride back to York or if he was best just going to Thirsk.  No decision was made in the pub, but when we came out and it was decidedly chilly, I think he decided that a quick blast to Thirsk then the train home would be the best bet.

We parted ways at Busby Stoop, CU heading into Thirsk and me heading back to NTR.  I got home about 10:40, hopefully CU got back home not that long after.

And now we have it all to do again tonight (though from a different start point, different destination etc, but you get the idea :) )

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #85 on: 19 March, 2012, 06:58:33 pm »
Anyone for a York ride this week?

« Reply #86 on: 19 March, 2012, 07:29:23 pm »
Yes, provided I can get through Wednesday puncture-free... ::-)

(I *may* have found the offending source: the rear mudguard brake bridge had a fairly sharp-looking protrusion on the inside. It's now been flattened and taped over, so fingers crossed...)

CrinklyAuntie

• aka Auntie Cake and The Sheriff of Christmas
« Reply #87 on: 19 March, 2012, 10:42:34 pm »
Yes :)

(Although I could of leaned across the sofa and told you that)

tiermat

« Reply #88 on: 20 March, 2012, 09:12:01 am »
Yes :)

(Although I could of leaned across the sofa and told you that)

\o/ but I won't be (see Good News thread as to why :) )

However, please all "bear" in mind next Wednesday when York will have a visitor or two, from parts forrin (well the bits that are not Yorkshire), and it would be good if we could get as big a turn out as poss.

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #89 on: 20 March, 2012, 09:25:28 am »
I am free next Wednesday as is CA.

For this Wednesday I suggest that we meet at 18:30 in the middle of the Millennium Bridge.

« Reply #90 on: 20 March, 2012, 08:03:38 pm »
Sounds good. Barring unplanned deflations, I will be there. (Er, is the destination to be Naburn?)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #91 on: 20 March, 2012, 08:05:49 pm »
Prob in, no preference as to destination.

CrinklyAuntie

• aka Auntie Cake and The Sheriff of Christmas
« Reply #92 on: 20 March, 2012, 08:59:39 pm »
CU and I have talked (across the sofa) and came up with the Shoulder of Mutton in Appleton Roebuck or the Three Cups in Stamford Bridge. 

The Three Cups is a Vintage Inn (it doesn't have much in the vegetarian section, but it does do chips and onion rings)
Menu link

tiermat

« Reply #93 on: 20 March, 2012, 09:03:59 pm »
AH! The Three Cups, that was the last pub on our 3 pubs and a wrong route ride.....

When Deano nicked the last fish from the chippy, and I was too late to get a second helping of chips, and the beer was crap at the pub next to the chippy (but good at the first pub and not-so bad at the Three Cups).

Bike parking is rubbish there, IIRC.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #94 on: 21 March, 2012, 05:56:12 pm »
Have escaped work, am hoping to evade the call of the duvet and see you on the bridge soon!

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #95 on: 22 March, 2012, 12:03:54 am »
Another good pub run and the first proper ride on my new bike which was great  ;D

We ended up at The Three Cups in Stamford Bridge.

Memorable moment: we were sat in a darkish corner and used bike lights to provide lighting for the mandatory photos of the drinks!

When we got out of the pub phantasmagoriana had yet another fairy visit, that’s four weeks in a row! Also on the way to the pub her front mech was bent and mangled up.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #96 on: 22 March, 2012, 06:35:23 am »
Grand stuff...

Roadside percussive maintenance.

Brown drinks.  And purple ones!

The bike tangle.

Baked Brie

Peppers...

...with roast veg.

Burger.

Onion rings.

Chips!

Not forgetting, of course, pudding.

Although we were slightly disappointed by the 'Giant' profiterole, since we expected it to be at least the size of your head....

« Reply #97 on: 22 March, 2012, 06:48:18 am »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
That looks lovely :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #98 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:07:17 am »
Thanks all, good ride and good food!

Sadly the Wednesday fairy struck for the fourth time in a row. I'm so sorry for making you all hang around in the cold again! :-[ My other mechanical was a bit more interesting - never had a bent front mech before. Fortunately I had a small pair of pliers (which I don't normally carry,  but might from now on) with which I bent it back so that at least the small ring could be used (and I rarely use the big ring anyway).

Oh, and I realised about 1/5 mile from home that I'd forgotten to re-engage the QR lever on the brake when putting the wheel back in, so had ridden all the way home without a functioning rear brake. :facepalm:

I think it's probably safer if I just don't ride my bike on Wednesdays!

tiermat

« Reply #99 on: 22 March, 2012, 10:08:21 am »
Oh dear!

Maybe a supervised fettling session is required? :D