Author Topic: CTC York Rally 2008 Who is attending?  (Read 23054 times)

Re: CTC York Rally 2008 Who is attending?
« Reply #25 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:55:16 pm »
Thinking about it  8)

« Reply #26 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:56:08 pm »
Just turn up friday evening and get a pitch then. That's what I've always done and never had a problem
Don't ask.

« Reply #27 on: 04 April, 2008, 10:04:28 pm »
Is it like the Mildenhall rally? If so, I'll probably keep it parochial this year.

It's bigger, has more tradestands. It's not had grasstrack racing for a couple of years. They have a big parade through York on the Sunday morning.

Otherwise, quite like the Mildenhall rally.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #28 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:41:26 am »
If you're going by train, then you can book online (including cycle reservations) on the National Express East Coast - advance returns are available from £20 at the moment.  Even choosing trains to suit me (rather than suit NEEC) only cost me £35.

If you are booking with NEEC don't try using a railcard.  It won't accept bookings with a railcard for the York Rally weekend for some reason.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #29 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:36:16 am »
If you're going by train, then you can book online (including cycle reservations) on the National Express East Coast - advance returns are available from £20 at the moment.  Even choosing trains to suit me (rather than suit NEEC) only cost me £35.

If you are booking with NEEC don't try using a railcard.  It won't accept bookings with a railcard for the York Rally weekend for some reason.

I'll have to wait a few days then or call a real person. The price doubles without the family railcard.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Regulator

« Reply #30 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:50:37 am »

I'll have to wait a few days then or call a real person. The price doubles without the family railcard.

..d

Give them a call.  I've found their telesales people to be friendly and helpful (OK, I might have got the only one...  ;D ).  I think it is quite helpful that they've put a warning on the front page of the web-site, rather than expecting you to get almost to the end of the booking process before saying there's a problem as some of the others do.

But I wouldn't leave it too long before booking - some of the trains up there on the Friday and back on the Monday are already fully booked.  Although I have heard they may be creating additional bike space on certain trains.

Green Party Councillor

alan

« Reply #31 on: 08 April, 2008, 06:40:56 pm »
Marj & I have booked a plot for the caravan.

Our attendance will be subject to Marj's yet- to-be-advised date for knee replacement surgery

Marj now has a date for surgery. ;D

It means that we will not be able to attend  :(

GillP

« Reply #32 on: 08 April, 2008, 06:45:12 pm »
Marj & I have booked a plot for the caravan.

Our attendance will be subject to Marj's yet- to-be-advised date for knee replacement surgery

Marj now has a date for surgery. ;D

It means that we will not be able to attend  :(

That really is a shame and we will miss you both (and especially Marj's box of goodies  ;D)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:34:41 pm »
:( :( :( Was looking forward to seeing the two of you :( :( :(
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #34 on: 10 April, 2008, 11:45:19 am »
We have just had our booking confirmed.

Front row tents in the lightweight section. Pitch 16. Drop by and say hello if you are passing through the Knavesmire.

..d

Regulator

« Reply #35 on: 10 April, 2008, 12:36:35 pm »

Front row tents in the lightweight section. Pitch 16. Drop by and say hello if you are passing through the Knavesmire.

..d

That reminds me - I must send the booking form in before I go off to Malta...  :-\

Green Party Councillor

David Martin

« Reply #36 on: 10 April, 2008, 02:01:41 pm »

..d

That reminds me - I must send the booking form in before I go off to Malta...  :-\

Bookings do seem to close an unfeasibly long time before the rally. Don't delay. Or just turn up anyway.

..d

David Martin

« Reply #37 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:16:31 pm »
NXEC have now made available tickets and reservations for Sunday 22 June. The Peloton Martin are now booked aboard, Dundee-York return + bikes for an astonishing £40.65.

Arriving about 9.30 at the campsite - see you happy people then (and looking for food to eat.)

..d

Regulator

« Reply #38 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:29:02 pm »

..d

Bookings do seem to close an unfeasibly long time before the rally. Don't delay. Or just turn up anyway.

..d

I sent the booking form before we departed for Malta - still no response yet.  Should I be worried?

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 25 April, 2008, 03:52:17 pm »
NXEC have now made available tickets and reservations for Sunday 22 June. The Peloton Martin are now booked aboard, Dundee-York return + bikes for an astonishing £40.65.

Arriving about 9.30 at the campsite - see you happy people then (and looking for food to eat.)

..d

At last!  I rang 'Customer Services' a few days ago, and got the most off-hand response you could imagine...
Getting there...

« Reply #40 on: 25 April, 2008, 04:55:22 pm »
Much as I'd like to attend, I've pretty much hammered all my annual leave this year on various bicycle related activities  :( Does sound fun though  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #41 on: 27 April, 2008, 09:38:31 pm »
Didn't think I'd make it this year and it would have been the first not attended in the 21st Century!
Didn't book but have done some wheeling and a dealing with a kind soul from the camping forum (http://s11.invisionfree.com/Tramp) and taken his ticket for a donation. Bugger the legalish ones! I'm goin' to York and I'll see y'all there.
If anybody wants to see me I'll be the fattest Fell Club member!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #42 on: 27 April, 2008, 09:41:18 pm »
That is great news, I look forward to meeting you. I have totally confused the organisers by asking them to convert our borrowed booking from Alan and Marj to a lightweight pitch. I suspect administrative chaos may ensue. But we WILL be there.

« Reply #43 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:43:38 am »
I shall almost certainly be there.
Got my form filled in and ready to post today. All being well I'll be cycling there and be in the lightweight section, arriving on Friday afternoon and thus looking for something to do on Friday evening.

What about rides for Saturday ? What are people thinking ?

David Martin

« Reply #44 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:16:01 am »
I shall almost certainly be there.
Got my form filled in and ready to post today. All being well I'll be cycling there and be in the lightweight section, arriving on Friday afternoon and thus looking for something to do on Friday evening.

What about rides for Saturday ? What are people thinking ?

I am hoping to do the short family ride on Sat afternoon, and the traditional drinking dry of the Ship at Acaster Mablis on the velovisionaries ride in the evening.

Though Saturday may turn into a ride to the Viking museum with the kids.

..d

Regulator

« Reply #45 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:18:31 am »
I'm coming up on the Friday afternoon - so if anyone wants a drink Friday evening...

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #46 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:46:26 am »
We've booked the train, so we'll be there. :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #47 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:49:53 am »
Normal watering hole is the Fox and Roman.

David Martin

« Reply #48 on: 28 April, 2008, 04:16:41 pm »
Normal watering hole is the Fox and Roman.

And this year it will be smoke free  ;D

We're coming down by the later train. Last year was a bit rushed, so we have an extra 90 mins.

Only a 10 min change at Edinburgh Waverly which could be interesting (unless it is the same train).

..d

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #49 on: 28 April, 2008, 05:21:54 pm »
I am sure we'll catch up some other time, David