Linked Events

• Not quite not the diamond jubilee campong weekend: 18 May, 2012 - 20 May, 2012

Author Topic: 18th - 20th May: Not Quite The Not The Diamond Jubilee Camping Weekend  (Read 33626 times)

Its very odd, attached seems to confirm the loo situation but does extol virtues of the site. Has to be something to do with loos being internal to the pub I guess.

http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/england/cotswolds/warwickshire/green-man
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

That is a real pain for the ladies on the team!

clarion

• Tyke
Sorry, PB.  We can't make it. :(

We're pretty skint right now, and something going on nearer home meant we could have a couple of days we need at home to get a few things sorted out.

Hope to see you all soon, though.
Getting there...

Surely we can rig a peek a boo shelter somewhere on site? Incidentally that shelter that Butterfly was using at Wing Hall alongside the tent, was that a beach shelter? Seemed to be a  reasonable alternative to a tarp if the weather is not too frisky.

Just a quick note to say that 3 years ago, the Manton Rd toilets were just about adequate. Bit of a Portakabin job.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

I think that we should check Manton Road on Friday.  I have a tarp that I might be able to hang between a couple of trees for night time emergencies. Not ideal but...

If a couple of us can bring a tarp then we can fix an enclosure.

Will also need poles of which I have none suitable.   

I am sure that can be addressed. Peeps need to remember that PB booked this in good faith and PM'd people expressing interest. I am sure that we can provide an environment that will not leave peeps feeling uncomfortable in fact quite the reverse and will be a bit of fun.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Just nominate an area that after 10 pm is strictly ladeez only.  Simples.

When we were in East Clare a couple of weeks ago, we drank in a bar most nights that had no loos.  Well, technically it did, if you wanted to ask the landlord for his front door keys, walk out of the bar, in through his front door, spend a polite 5 minutes passing the time of day with his family. tromp upstairs, try several bedrooms, airing cupboards etc before finding the bathroom.
The locals explained the preferred method.  -  Round the side to the field - but keep left.  The ladies go to the right.  Seemed to work OK.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

I like the sentiment Basil although the layouit of the land doesn't really lend itself with a lack of natural cover.  The camping field is open with a few trees in one corner so I'll be looking at whether I can use those with a few tarps or windbreaks to create a night time only facility.

Time for a roll call methinks...   

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I'm still a possible, as is Mrs. Wow. Much depends on Dez.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
At risk of stating the what-I-thought-was-obvious, it's not the lack of cover that bothers me.  Ideally I'd like the option of something sturdy and flushable to sit on for 20 minutes during a [TMI] attack, with copious bog paper and running water on standby.  While I'm able to compromise on some of that, it's not the sort of thing you want to be doing in the corner of a campsite, no matter how well concealed you are at the time.

If it was just a 3am pee, the faff of a shewee is acceptable.

As such, I'm in pending the settling-down of my digestive system, which has been awful for about two weeks now.

Hmmm...   Thanks Kim.   

I'm going over this Friday to inspect and I'll talk with the landlord.   If there is no option suitable then I'll gon look at Manton Road farm.   

i am still planning to get there . i have a 76 mile route planned  :)
the slower you go the more you see

I have stayed at the Marton Road campsite. There is a caveat and that is that it was during the very busy beer festival weekend. Being a bank holiday it naturally poured down & I mean poured! The toilets and showers were adequate for the traffic. I think on a quieter weekend they would be fine.

The site itself got a little boggy, but the rainfall was very considerable and it had drained well a day later.

Long Itchington is not a big place and although Marton Road is on the outskirts, it's still only 15 mins walk from the furthest pub and <5 mins to the nearest one. The Green Man site is handier, but I can well understand the concerns at the (lack of) facilities.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Overnight loos problem sorted.  Will expand later when at a proper pooter.   :thumbsup:

OK, so I'm at a proper pooter now.

I met with Andy at the Two Boats in Long Itch for a quick pint and a spot of lunch.   Have to say that the ploughmans lunch there was rather poor.   If that is indicative of the menu I'll probably not eat there again.

Anyhow, after supping and chatting we went to examine both sites.

Marton Road Farm resembles a quagmire with very large areas of cut up grass, great swathes of gloopy mud and lakes of standing water.   The loo block is still the portacabin which AWL has spoken of previously.

The Green Mad field was remarkably green, flat, not cut up at all and still quite firm although I guess a tent peg will be relatively easy to push home.   

The landlord popped out to chat and I raised the issue of the overnight loo access.   He said that there are two solutions:  Firstly, if I remind him late on in the evening he will not lock the outer door allowing access.   Secondly, if I forget then if you need the loo, whatever the time of night, just ring the pub number and he will come and open up.   He is a very decent chap and comes across as sincere.

We may be sharing with a few venture scouts.    He says that they've been before and that they are a tame and decent group.

I have a nice 40ish mile route to Cannons Ashby planned for on Saturday, weather permitting, and AWL will have an alternative 25 miler.   There is also the potential picnic ride to Draycote water for those interested.   

I hope that we've removed any concerns and you're all now looking forward to a great weekend. .

Ok, who's definitely coming then?   :)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
To save me ploughing through all the posts what's the likely timetable for Saturday's rides ... i.e. start times for 25 or 40 milers?   [I'm "car park attendant" at Meriden for the CTC HoE Audax first thing but will be hoping to get to Long Itch to ride]

Rob

I guess it will be somewhere in the region of 10:30 to 11:00.   Lunch serving begins at CA from 12:30 IIRC.   Normal group ride protocols apply and it will be a leisure ride, not a race.

I might end up taking the Draycote picnic ride with Mlle PB taking the CA and AWL on an alternative route should demand require it.

Yes. Well done PB sounds just fine.

i am still highly probable for this  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Just bumping to remind folks... 8)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I'm out.

It was marginal for me cycling legs wise (I died horribly after last week's 50km) but now my "good" shoulder's crapped out :'( there's no way I'll survive camping this weekend even if I cheat. 

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Sadly I think I'm out :(
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium