Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 118812 times)

Kim

• 2nd in the world
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #1800 on: November 22, 2018, 11:05:50 pm »
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #1802 on: November 25, 2018, 08:20:28 pm »
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1803 on: November 26, 2018, 09:15:27 pm »
The first thing I thought when I saw that image was “that’s Bradley Stoke”. That was before reading any of the text.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #1804 on: November 27, 2018, 03:46:32 pm »
The Galactic Empire took over Bradley Stoke in the 1990s recession, when the houses were cheap. 
Never tell me the odds.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1805 on: November 29, 2018, 07:44:45 pm »
Human remains recovered from River irwell. Police say no suspicious circumstances.

We may have achieved a new nadir in police indifference.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Guy

• Left-Wing Moonbat Green NAZI
« Reply #1806 on: November 30, 2018, 09:16:50 am »
Local journalism at it's best:

Anybody reading this article in the Welwyn and Hatfield Times would be forgiven for thinking it's now illegal to ride mountain bikes in Welwyn Garden City..

Boy fined for riding off-road bike in Welwyn Garden City

https://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/off-road ... -1-5799187

At no point in the article does it mention the offernder was riding a *motor*bike. Riding an off-road bike without L Plates or insurance is perfectly legal. Riding an off-road motorbike on the other hand...   ::-)

Some people might accuse me of being pedantic, but this to me is a good example of shite reporting.
I hate the army and I hate the RAF
I don't wanna go fighting in the tropical heat
I hate the civil service rules
I won't open letter bombs for you

« Reply #1807 on: November 30, 2018, 01:30:13 pm »
Human remains recovered from River irwell. Police say no suspicious circumstances.

We may have achieved a new nadir in police indifference.

Followed by one in the journalist's use of English in the subtitle.  ".....who it belonged to?"  What's wrong with "...to whom it belonged"?

The country's gone to the dogs...….

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #1808 on: November 30, 2018, 01:31:56 pm »
Local journalism at it's best:

Anybody reading this article in the Welwyn and Hatfield Times would be forgiven for thinking it's now illegal to ride mountain bikes in Welwyn Garden City..

Boy fined for riding off-road bike in Welwyn Garden City

https://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/off-road ... -1-5799187

At no point in the article does it mention the offernder was riding a *motor*bike. Riding an off-road bike without L Plates or insurance is perfectly legal. Riding an off-road motorbike on the other hand...   ::-)

Some people might accuse me of being pedantic, but this to me is a good example of shite reporting.

That one seems to come from the police, for whom the meaning is presumably obvious from context.  I've seen police forces tweeting about "off-road bikes" without clarifying that they mean motorcycles on several occasions.  They're probably the same people who'd describe pedal cycles as "pushbikes".

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #1809 on: November 30, 2018, 01:42:14 pm »
As a non-professional cyclist, I'd assume 'off-road bike' to be the motorised version. If they meant a cycle, they'd say 'mountain bike.' I doubt, for once, that I'm unusual in this assumption.
!nataS pihsroW

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #1810 on: November 30, 2018, 01:48:30 pm »
As a non-professional cyclist, I'd assume 'off-road bike' to be the motorised version. If they meant a cycle, they'd say 'mountain bike.' I doubt, for once, that I'm unusual in this assumption.

As a cyclist I'd use "mountain bike" for a pedal bicycle designed for off-road riding (unless I was being particularly technical), and I'd only ever talk about pushbikes in the context of the Birmingham cycling campaign group, but I wouldn't assume a non-cyclist would get the terminology correct.

Similarly, if you say 'scooter' I'd likely think of a skateboard with steering, of the type popular with teenagers of all ages.  But a motorcyclist or police officer might think of a class of motorcycle.

I've also learned to say 'bicycle' rather than 'bike' around QUILTBAG women, lest they apply the wrong set of stereotypes.

It's all about context.  And news headlines are notoriously (and often deliberately) bad at that.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.