Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 150966 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #2000 on: October 03, 2019, 11:09:53 am »
Teenager has senior moment.
The best bit being:
the rear of the vehicle has an upside-down ‘o’.
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

« Reply #2001 on: October 04, 2019, 09:48:44 am »
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17946615.swindon-youths-face-judge-bike-seat-gbh-charge/

That's hard to Swallow.

A successful overnight B17 raid.

They're now on a Charge.

It was a severe Fizikal assault.

Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #2002 on: October 04, 2019, 11:31:53 am »
I think they will find the bench 'well hard'.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2003 on: October 04, 2019, 05:36:30 pm »
Unpleasant way to die:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/local-news/paramedics-were-unable-save-life-3387675?fbclid=IwAR1ygWKMSvL6iFC1InbzK4dtZrovsRfeUAEcwwdxiJoe61yMl44eATA2EFo

Interesting to us perhaps as the accident happened on, or very close to the Isobella Trail: the NCN55 heading out of Stafford.

Cats to the left of me, cats to the right of me, cats sitting on my keyboard making far more sense than I do.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2004 on: October 13, 2019, 01:19:22 pm »

The best bit being his pixellated t-shirt.
He wore a t-shirt bearing the words “f*** Boris”, the letters formed by naked depictions of the Prime Minister, when he and his mum Debbie spoke to Bristol Live about his messages.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/council-sends-boy-paint-use-3419806
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2005 on: October 13, 2019, 01:20:59 pm »
Mum pulls kid out of school because he was given tuna after long poo
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mum-pulls-kid-out-school-3413403

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2006 on: October 17, 2019, 12:59:35 pm »
I'll put this excellent headline here, because Slough doesn't deserve its own thread like Didcot or Swindon:

O2 launches 5G network in five UK cities and Slough
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2007 on: October 17, 2019, 03:42:58 pm »
I'll put this excellent headline here, because Slough doesn't deserve its own thread like Didcot or Swindon:

5G - also ideal for smart bombs. From non-city to nonentity - someone would be dancing in his grave!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #2008 on: October 17, 2019, 04:10:57 pm »
But Slough does have an admirable Limerick.

There was a young lady from Slough
Who one day developed a cough
She wasn't to know
it would last until now
I hope the young lady pulls through!
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2009 on: October 17, 2019, 07:58:35 pm »

5G - also ideal for smart bombs. From non-city to nonentity - someone would be dancing in his grave!

Smart bombs or friendly bombs??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2010 on: October 18, 2019, 09:04:35 am »

Smart bombs or friendly bombs??
Friendly as in the Usanian meaning?
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #2011 on: October 18, 2019, 09:11:37 am »
O2 headquarters are in Slough, which is one of the main reasons I didn’t take the offered job with them in 2002
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2012 on: October 18, 2019, 09:41:33 am »
I went for an interview there once.

I still shiver thinking about it. Didn’t take the job.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #2013 on: October 18, 2019, 10:08:07 am »
I don’t recall ever going to the Slough offices, even when it was a BT building, though I do know it’s a bugger to get to from the far Angles of the east.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

« Reply #2014 on: October 18, 2019, 01:51:32 pm »
I spent an afternoon in A&E in Slough with a bipolar client who had a suspected broken arm. Fortunately the everchanging cabaret of lowlifes, chancers, hooligans and nutters was a distraction.

« Reply #2015 on: October 18, 2019, 03:19:36 pm »
Maybe it should change its name, like Staines-on-Thames did.  Although that was just a feeble attempt to avoid the switchboard people at a major laptop repair centre answering the phone, "Hello, Siemens Staines".
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #2016 on: October 18, 2019, 04:21:37 pm »
Slough-off-Thames  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2017 on: October 18, 2019, 04:30:15 pm »
Slough-of-Despond.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2018 on: October 18, 2019, 06:45:30 pm »
The provinces hit the nationals.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/18/its-party-central-the-bristol-residents-fed-up-with-noisy-student-neighbours
The Hampton Road area, shown in the third photo, has always been student central.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2019 on: October 18, 2019, 06:53:42 pm »
The provinces hit the nationals.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/18/its-party-central-the-bristol-residents-fed-up-with-noisy-student-neighbours
The Hampton Road area, shown in the third photo, has always been student central.

That's a contender for the Not News thread.

Deliberately obnoxious behaviour like shouting and vandalism (rather than incidental noise) wasn't a new thing when I was a PSO.  Hard to tell if it's increasing in popularity, but it was always a minority (generally the ones who live elsewhere) causing it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2020 on: October 18, 2019, 07:36:17 pm »
Student numbers have increased a lot and are still increasing, so inevitably there are more noisy students even if they're the same proportion.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2021 on: October 18, 2019, 08:47:01 pm »
That's true.  With proportionally fewer living in university halls.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2022 on: October 21, 2019, 11:51:19 am »
That the Bristle Post has an article with the headline "The 29 phrases which will only make sense if you're a Bristolian" isn't in itself interesting, but it's perhaps curious they've chosen to file it under "Education".  :-\

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2023 on: October 21, 2019, 01:34:01 pm »
That the Bristle Post has an article with the headline "The 29 phrases which will only make sense if you're a Bristolian" isn't in itself interesting, but it's perhaps curious they've chosen to file it under "Education".  :-\

Presumably because whoever wrote it wasn't Bristolian.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2024 on: October 23, 2019, 10:07:24 am »