Author Topic: Rate my ugly (but cheap) Macinato build...  (Read 8831 times)

Re: Rate my ugly (but cheap) Macinato build...
« Reply #25 on: 24 November, 2011, 02:34:39 pm »
It depends on the track ends ime, and also how tight you crank the bolts. I couldn't keep the thing from slipping on the soft alloy dropouts on my Langster, whereas the ti dropouts are better, but almost too hard. I'm reluctant to apply too much force as I know that in the event of a puncture I'll have to rely on a short-handled Allen key, which is why I use MKS Allen tugs.

« Reply #26 on: 24 November, 2011, 10:29:06 pm »
If it's possible to use road ends without tugs for fixed (and it is), then it must surely be possible to do so with track ends. However, I do prefer tugs on my fixed bike with track ends - even though my other fixed has road ends and is fine.

gordon taylor

« Reply #27 on: 25 November, 2011, 09:51:44 pm »
Friday night update: the bike is progressing.

I've built wheels using seven year old Mavic ceramic rims (which were once on SSC wheels) and System EX hubs. I've had the hubs for ages and messed about with them for wheelbuilding but they don't look as though they've ever been ridden. Anyway - the wheels are three cross rear and two cross front. That's only because I didn't have sufficient longer spokes to build them all three cross. The back wheel is perfect, IMHO, but the spokes are a bit too long for the front and I'm not entirely happy with the roundness.

There's a new tyre on the front and partly worn on the rear. I took those Vredensteins off my trike a while ago because they seemed to suffer with punctures. I found eight  ::-) part-worn heavy Armadillos in the garage but the bike looks much nicer with these ones and their reflective walls.

Peewit's beautiful cog arrived in the post this week. Thank you!

What else? I've had to buy a seat clamp. I didn't realise that there were so many sizes.. so I bought a 28.8 (too small) and hope that a 29.8 will arrive in the post tomorrow. I wish I'd ordered the right one from On One with the frame.

I could take another full link out of the chain but I prefer the slightly larger clearances with the wheel back a half-inch.

Apologies for the poor photos. All my workspaces are messy. I'll get the bar tape done tomorrow and take a better photo.

gordon taylor

« Reply #28 on: 25 November, 2011, 10:08:16 pm »
Now that I see the bike I'm slightly perplexed about what to do with it. As an exercise in using up a shed-load of bits, it has been a huge success. I even took another wheel apart to get the spokes I needed without resorting to £££.

However, I'm hardly a hipster urban fixed rider and a bike without a rack and mudguards is pretty weird in my book.

Perhaps I'll suddenly become cool.  8)

« Reply #29 on: 26 November, 2011, 12:21:56 am »
wow love it dude looking NICE!! :thumbsup:

« Reply #30 on: 26 November, 2011, 08:07:14 am »
Nice finish on the frame Gordy - very retro.

I'd leave that chain a bit long if it were me; I've a suspicion that you'll have the 18 sprocket on at some point, especially around Stone!

My friend round the corner rides 63" fixed some of the winter, and always uses this gear on the road - and he was divisional champion and rode for GB, so he's a strong boy!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #31 on: 26 November, 2011, 08:14:09 am »
Now that I see the bike I'm slightly perplexed about what to do with it.

Be prepared to be buried in the avalanche of mercenary suggestions ;D

It's looks very   8)

ETA for heaven's sake get that base laid before next weekend.
you know what I mean ;)

gordon taylor

« Reply #32 on: 26 November, 2011, 11:22:22 am »
It lives!!!

I've waited in until the roads have dried up a bit and been for a little blast.  Hmmm, Nice!

The riser stem is bothering me, the bike should be low and sleek. Oh well.

Re: tugs. i remembered that these came with the frame. I don't see how they help, but I've fitted them anyway.

« Reply #33 on: 26 November, 2011, 12:35:49 pm »
Looking good Gordy.  Those washers are an integral part of the taperlock track end system, methinks. 

Enjoy, and careful with any sudden stops: that front brake must be pretty powerful!

« Reply #34 on: 26 November, 2011, 04:32:00 pm »
I don't think that the washers are tugs.

Tugs fit over the track ends and can be used to pull the wheel backwards. I've found since starting to use them a year ago that the back wheel stays in place better, because the tugs and wheel nuts work together:

The tugs have a loop around the axle:

« Reply #35 on: 27 November, 2011, 10:39:01 am »
Ah, I thought I'd seen these somewhere: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=51555.0

gordon taylor

« Reply #36 on: 27 November, 2011, 11:25:44 am »
Ah, I thought I'd seen these somewhere: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=51555.0

Thanks for that. Very informative. I've fitted the taperlock washers, so I'll see if the wheel moves at all.

I did try to use a pair of MKS chaintugs, but the axle diameter was too big for the hole in the tug. I didn't persevere, because I never liked the tugs in the first place. I have the type shown in the top left of this page.

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/mks/mks.htm

OMG. They're selling at £26.50 a pair!

I've decided to keep the bike as it is, for the moment. My inclination is to somehow fit a rack, guards and lights... but I've already got three bikes like that. This one is going to be different - something to ride for pleasure, not as a means of sensible transport.

I'm a happy boy today. I have a new bike!

« Reply #37 on: 27 November, 2011, 11:26:23 am »
... A particularly nice touch on the Macinato are the simple-to-use Taperlock rear dropouts that do away with the need for ugly chaintugs. ...

I hadn't noticed that before.  So, the washers aren't really optional, since the bolts won't be engaging against parallel surfaces unless you've got the "washers" fitted.  Of course, if you're using track nuts then their washers would probably take up the slack.

I think the Taperlock dropouts are quite a neat solution, with a fairly simple mechanism, tapering of the dropouts, and the tapered washers, they should be rock solid against any movement, without requiring you to do up the bolts stupidly tight.

Nice build Gordy. I actually like the riser stem!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #38 on: 30 November, 2011, 01:06:09 pm »
That's lovely Gordy. I think racks and guards wouldn't suit the clean lines.

Mind if I ask what it all cost in the end? It reads as though you stayed very close to the price of the frame.

Just in case you are not aware drop bar magura levers are pretty rare and can change hands for a decent amount of money.
I bought these second hand from someone on the forum - maybe Paul? I can't remember.

They've been on a couple of long distance tours, so they are tatty now, and I have discarded the flimsy QR levers which release one of the sides for wheel removal. They are also the most difficult brakes to set up that I've ever encountered - there is only one bolt to tighten, but several things to adjust at the same time as you are tightening it.

Not me. I still have mine (which I bought from someone on here - or there - too).

Mine are on the tandem. I agree with the setting up difficulties. It never occurred to me to ditch the QR levers, but they're set up nicely now, so I think I'll leave well enough alone.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

gordon taylor

« Reply #39 on: 30 November, 2011, 02:43:59 pm »
Hi Paul
Perhaps I got the brakes from Si? I'm only guessing now because I have a notion that someone found them at a Birmingham bike auction and bought them with the specific notion of selling them to a forumer. (Is that a word? forumite?)

I treated myself to a Hope seat collar for £14, which is ridiculous - but it is a lovely matching blue.

Apart from that, the whole build was done with bits from the shed or stripped from a dead hybrid. Of course, I've already paid a lot of cash for those parts in the past, (for often mysterious reasons) but in my mind, the bike has cost me £114.

Like all addicts, I'm reluctant to accept the true costs. The chain, rim tape and bar tape were new (but "free" because they were in a drawer O:-) ); the bars, one tyre and hubs were old but had never been fitted to another bike. The rims, spokes, saddle, seatpost, stem, crank, pedals, fork, headset, brakes and rear tyre have all been well used on a variety of bikes in the past.

See? Total = £114.   ::-)  :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #40 on: 30 November, 2011, 03:00:47 pm »
Why Gordy, that's positively frugal!  You saved so much money on that build that, if it were me, I'd be quite tempted to treat myself to a little something.  Maybe n+1?   :demon:

gordon taylor

« Reply #41 on: 15 January, 2012, 06:38:13 pm »
Update - I've been out on it three times, for ten mile loops. It really is very nice.
However, I'll need to do somethig with the front wheel. I can feel it flexing when I'm out of the saddle and I can't get it any tighter as the spokes are too long.

I'll have to bite the bullet and rebuild it with shorter spokes or in a different spoking pattern.
Apart from that, all is good.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: 16 January, 2012, 08:35:20 pm »
Is that saddle not a bit bum in the air G or do you have access to my Chiropractor? Edit just noticed the rising stem. ;D
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain