Author Topic: 75-mile CTC SEG Reliability Ride, Wickford, Essex, 12/2/12  (Read 9433 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: 75-mile CTC SEG Reliability Ride, Wickford, Essex, 12/2/12
« Reply #25 on: 11 February, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »
Another update from Stefan:

Dear all,

I've just - well, a bit warlier - finished checking the most important roads.

There's a tricky patch (about 20 yards) on Swan Lane, Stock - just be careful, please.  However, the bit I was most worrying about: Mill Road, North End, is as dry as dust (kind of).

All lanes are clear, and since there are no clouds anywhere to be seen, I doubt that there will be snow soon either.

So considering the fairly good conditions (except for the cold), please arrive early, if you Enter On the Line.
==> I am expecting a good turnout!

Please disseminate to your cycling colleagues - thanks.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Regards,
Stefan

--
The SEG's 75 - 75 Mile Reliability Ride

### Sunday 12th February 2012 ###
### from 8:30 am ###

Start at Market Café, Wickford, Essex SS12 0AL

Entry form on www.essexcycling.co.uk
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #26 on: 11 February, 2012, 08:55:22 pm »
I have an email from Stefan confirming the ride is on, as below, although the forecast mentioned something called 'freezing drizzle' for tomorrow morning for the south east, whatever that is

Dear all,

I've just - well, a bit warlier - finished checking the most important roads.

There's a tricky patch (about 20 yards) on Swan Lane, Stock - just be careful, please.  However, the bit I was most worrying about: Mill Road, North End, is as dry as dust (kind of).

All lanes are clear, and since there are no clouds anywhere to be seen, I doubt that there will be snow soon either.

So considering the fairly good conditions (except for the cold), please arrive early, if you Enter On the Line.
==> I am expecting a good turnout!

Please disseminate to your cycling colleagues - thanks.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Regards,
Stefan

--
The SEG's 75 - 75 Mile Reliability Ride

### Sunday 12th February 2012 ###
### from 8:30 am ###

Start at Market Café, Wickford, Essex SS12 0AL

Entry form on www.essexcycling.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 11 February, 2012, 09:06:34 pm »
There's snow forecast for the morning, but it seems as though it's going to be heaviest closer to the coast. If the met office are correct, we'll have light snow at 6 a.m., heavy snow at 9 a.m and then it will stop and the temperatures will rise above freezing for a while.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #28 on: 12 February, 2012, 01:36:48 pm »
Bottled out of the ride before we even set off. We had freezing rain driving down to Wickford and more while we sucked our teeth wondering what to do. 

Chapeau to those that did complete the ride, I hope they got round safely.

« Reply #29 on: 12 February, 2012, 04:00:03 pm »
Same here....was looking forward to this one too but had to suffer on the turbo instead. Looking at the Cambridge to Southend (BHF) now to get those early miles in and was pondering of using the CTC SEG ride as a smaller loop from Southend to help get the training miles in (plus unchartered roads for me heading out of Wickford).
Well done to those brave hardy souls who rode this event, I tip my hat to you.

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #30 on: 12 February, 2012, 04:48:44 pm »
I did most of the 75 miles....I bailed about 3/4 of the way round as I would have had to cycle another 20 miles to get home after the finish, and just didn't have it in me, Plus i got lost and ended doing 20 miles before the first check point(should have been 10......) Any way still did 69.7 very hard miles, heard there were a few offs with one rider with a badly cut knee.
Most of the roads where clear, the bit after Stock was bad and had to be done slowly with one foot unclipped ready if anything happened, I hooked up with 3 other cyclist and our spirits where lifted by the young ladies out for a run in very very tight thin running kit  :o thinsulate type running kit and shouted out 'Morning' to us  :-*
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: 12 February, 2012, 04:55:41 pm »
We had freezing rain first thing here in Dunmow, so I bottled out. #1 son borrowed the 'Ice Bike' for his paper round but once on foot was slipping about everywhere!

Instead, I did about 30 miles of on/off road on Marathon Winters; the first hour was a bit icy, then the thaw set in.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #32 on: 12 February, 2012, 06:37:11 pm »
Good effort Andyf  :thumbsup:  Chapeau to you sir!

« Reply #33 on: 12 February, 2012, 09:11:39 pm »
if you permit a rather verbose from a rider, now home after a horrid day but feeling much better about it now ...

btw I suspct I was the rider with cut knee, I went down hard at speed but it's no more that a scrape, a plaster dignified it, bloody luck not to badly hurt though I suspect, anyway ...

yikes what a testing day

late leaving for the ride to the start, not entirely awake, very cold, still some ice about, freezing drizzle started an hour out and was horrid, had solid ice on my glasses and over the gps, I slowed to pull over on the shoulder of a junction and went straight over on a huge sheet of black ice, not hurt but comic to get off it with the bike, the route ws ok although a bit icey in places, thankfully the latter stages had been well grittedwhich was welcome

I arrived at the start at 9.20 for my 9am start, only three starters for 9.30, I passed three riders glumy climbing a series of hills on the approach to Wickford that I glady roared down, ha, I then got to climb them within 15 minutes of going down them

it was horrid, very cold, the small roads were highly suspect, some only had tyre tracks clear. After my early scrape with black ice, it was a horrid worry, very cold headwind and a constant fear of going fast and coming off

caught a bloke about to turn back, carrying the route sheet in your right hand seemed to be in vogue, I felt very sensible with a gps and a cunning new route sheet holder made from a cd case the night before, the hinge caught some admiring glances as I changed stages, later a quick type caught us both and away they went, route sheets in hand, it was a constant complaint from the riders I spoke to of losing the route, tsk

as the roads started to get better I got to a small humpback bridge quite quickly, slight right turn, and whallop the bike goes, a split second to think this is really going to hurt, lying in the road all on my ownsome wondering about an ambulance, got up slowly and carefully and reaslied that other than a torn right knee on the long with small scrape to same knee of leg, small graze to right elbow, front mudguard a bit bent but easily fixed, I was well chuffed, touch, I spent some time looking for the cause, a tiny patch of black ice that was almost invisble, only found it by rubbing my shoe here and there, horrible bloody stuff, did my best to break it up for les autres

arrived at the town hall at halfway with 45 mins to spare, bless the three old boys running it, I was the fifth to arrive! as per other years they forced bananas, mini mars, biscuits and two teas on me, I filled my pockets and felt much more cheerful until I realised the next control was 15 miles away and closed in an hour

I set off glumy but felt much stronger and the roads were suddenly clear so I cracked on and made it, the young lady was inside the Leather Bottle along with people having roast dinner and having sharpners before the rugby, quite the wrench to leave and then realise the next control was 10 miles away and closed in 30 minutes, jeez

some swearing and away to try, nice road and it felt good other then going up hills like a kitten, 15 minutes late but he's still there bless, in a garden centre carpark rather than the fox and something further down the road, all good and then the ride to the finish to some small applause from Stefan and the the garden centre (and Water Tower control) fella which felt like a crowd of thousands cheering, some chitchat , Stefan bless him spots the torn knee and I get to tell my story in suitably heroic but understated terms, he then asks where I'm riding to now as I start to kit up while the others are all getting into cars, home I say modestly, he asks how far, 35 miles I say modestly to pleasant expressions of disbelief and admiration in equal measure

but the disbelif would be right, I was good for the distance but I was so much later than I planned  that it got dark sudenly earlier than I hoped and the little Essex lanes were horrid, very hard to pick up the verge, dazzled by quite a few wagons bombing around with very very bright headlights, not fun at all, eventually a white line started up which was a great help and far later than I though street lights slowly started up

home, phew, enough in the tank to go via the offie for some Polish medicine, kit minging, the wife says I look black with dirt, the gps was a life saver, the cd route sheet holder worked very well, the new 4:1 powder in the drink seemed to work wonders, for once the NV jacket wasn't too hot but just right

top speed 29.5mph, god knows where, proably coming down the big hills around Chigwell near to home, the ones I crawled up at 7am, average speed 13.8mph, quite pleased wth that tbh, I thought it lower

so I know I can do the distance in fairly good order and the drink power is good stuff, well pleased (that said I stopped for a breather only 4.8 miles from home so perhaps I was more knackered than I thought)

mind you, anyone that didn't do this because of the roads was justified, it was touch and go and it might very easily have been worse than the one hard spill I had

and 142 miles for the day, cor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #34 on: 12 February, 2012, 09:16:39 pm »
Verbose? Why not? That's one hell of an achievement.

« Reply #35 on: 12 February, 2012, 09:57:58 pm »
yuk yuk

I might very easily have hurt myself, especially on the ride home, still, thank-you, I'll admit to having enjoyed it now it's over

« Reply #36 on: 12 February, 2012, 09:59:44 pm »
Epic! Nice one  :thumbsup:
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #37 on: 12 February, 2012, 10:32:27 pm »
Since it's half term and the weather is warming up, I think I might well ride out and do this ride just to say I have. I've done hardly any miles this month and that's got to change.

« Reply #38 on: 13 February, 2012, 12:55:22 am »
@ Tynan

Well done!  That's a good report, thanks.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #39 on: 13 February, 2012, 05:26:40 am »
I forgot to mention that I met Kathy and Nutty's mum at the start - charming lady.

And well done Tynan!

I too promise to ride the route at some point this year with a little addition to and from Witham.

I should add thanks to Stefan (Badger) and his team for organising the event.

Andyf

« Reply #40 on: 13 February, 2012, 06:59:26 am »
I forgot to mention that I met Kathy and Nutty's mum at the start - charming lady.

And well done Tynan!

I too promise to ride the route at some point this year with a little addition to and from Witham.

I should add thanks to Stefan (Badger) and his team for organising the event.

+1  :thumbsup:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

« Reply #41 on: 13 February, 2012, 11:58:40 am »
Hi Andy,

I was elder of the 3 yesterday nice to meet you and thanks for staying with us.

I really enjoyed yesterday and cant wait to get out again.

Here are a couple of route links that we took.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/EZBOLXSPQUWYGR4O55BCUEIMCA

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/149081252

Glad to hear everyone got home safe in the end.

Thanks to the organisers as well a great day out.
I did most of the 75 miles....I bailed about 3/4 of the way round as I would have had to cycle another 20 miles to get home after the finish, and just didn't have it in me, Plus i got lost and ended doing 20 miles before the first check point(should have been 10......) Any way still did 69.7 very hard miles, heard there were a few offs with one rider with a badly cut knee.
Most of the roads where clear, the bit after Stock was bad and had to be done slowly with one foot unclipped ready if anything happened, I hooked up with 3 other cyclist and our spirits where lifted by the young ladies out for a run in very very tight thin running kit  :o thinsulate type running kit and shouted out 'Morning' to us  :-*

Andyf

« Reply #42 on: 13 February, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »
Thanks for having me Peter. It saved my ride, I was so confused with my GPS and the route map, I was cycling around stock in circles  :'(
Hoping next time we meet up I have got more of my fitness back and keep up with you.

« Reply #43 on: 13 February, 2012, 10:33:58 pm »
ah yes, it was a tad tricky where the route crossed itself and indeed ran along the same road for a spell, a squint at the route sheet and vague awreness of location viz a viz the gps compass was called for

scraped knee is a rather swollen and stiff knee now, leading to a rather jaunty sailors walk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #44 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:46:07 pm »
Jane and I met at Billericay in order to cycle the old (pre-2012) SEG-75 mile route. At about 4 a.m. I had my doubts that I would make it as I lay wide awake, my nasal cavity informing me that I was probably getting a cold. Lest I let Jane down, and not having her phone number, I left my nice warm bed with my nice warm wife slumbering gently in it and made my way downstairs to the computer, visiting the whisky bottle en route, PMing Jane to ask her to phone me soon after 7 to check whether I was fit to ride. Her call arrived just as I got out of bed for the second time, and I decided that I was.

We left Billericay at about 9.30 and headed towards Ramsden Heath. I pointed out to Jane, who wanted to know, various places of interest along the way: my brother's house, the chapel where my mother played the organ for many a long year, the assortment of luxury apartments which occupy the site of the house I was brought up in, the Indian restaurant that used to be the De Beauvoir Arms (known to all locals as "The Beavers": in my youth, the expression "to go up the Beavers" was used widely and with no hint of mirth by many a thirsty young man from Downham and Ramsden Heath). Then we passed the private residence which used to be the school I attended during the winter of 1962-63, the pond that froze solid and we used to slide on, the water treatment plant which was my brother's place of employment for 42 years, and the primary school where my sis-in-law was deputy head. Jane herself was familiar with some of these places, having lived in Wickford in her youth.

The weather was generally benign. Thin cloud, weak sunshine, mild, a gentle headwind - very much the sort of day and landscape to be painted in watercolours. We passed through Stock and Margaretting and soon we were in Writtle and I was forgetting whether we had to turn right or left for the tea room. I got it right second time and we sat outside, Jane equipped with her second choice of cake (coffee and walnut) and a cup of coffee, me with a pot of tea with scones, cream and blackcurrant jam. This tea room is now run by the Wilkins jam people, of Tiptree (by coincidence Auntie Helen and I passed another, in Dedham, yesterday). While we were there, a former teaching colleague of mine, one Mr. Werrett, turned up with his wife, and I made a great effort to pretend not to be there and he took the hint and didn't engage me in conversation.

At around 11.30 we headed off again, towards Chelmsford initially and then along the Chignal Road. We gradually worked our way northwards, through Pleshey, past the Leather Bottle where there were no checkpoints today and it was far too early for lunch, and on through Felsted, and eventually arriving at the Blue Egg for lunch at 1.30ish. It was remarkably crowded, partly because it's half term and many of the diners were children, but also because the food is especially good. Jane and I had identical lunches: a large bowl of wild mushroom soup each and half a "galette", although this galette was by no means similar to the galettes I had eaten in Brittany last summer. It was, however, very good, and we agreed that, had we known how much soup and bread we were to be served with, we would probably not have had the galette.

At approximately 2.15 we were on the bikes again and back-tracking along the route of the Dun Run towards Stebbing. I was becoming increasingly concerned as my bowels were making their presence felt and I was not aware of any suitable venue for evacuating them anywhere along our route. In France, most villages have their conveniences, but not so England. We went back into Felsted and, on a whim, headed into the village centre where I thought there might be a loo, but although Felsted has a large and influential public school which has, in recent years, provided more than its fair share of cricketers to the England team, it does not have a public lavatory.

The church was open and I thought to myself "There'll be a loo in there!"

A man was painting a wall and two others were watching him.

"Can I help?" asked one of the spectators.

"Is there a loo in here?" I replied.

"Well, there is, but I don't think I can let you use it." said he

"It is the Lord's Will!" was my retort.

And faced with such an overwhelming theosophical argument, he relented and went back to watching paint dry. I emerged in much greater comfort than I went in, and praised the Lord in his wisdom and mercy.

From that point on there were no further stops for food or anti-food, although we admired some optimistic rooks building their nests and, shortly before reaching Mill Green and The Viper pub, we stopped for a few minutes whilst a large herd of fallow deer made up their communal minds whether or not they were going to cross the road. We tried guessing how many there were. I don't think there were more than 100, but I could have been wrong. It seemed that our presence was a major factor in their decision to head back towards the woods on the other side of the field, where they stopped for a bit. We carried on and I informed Jane about Charles Kortwright, who was born in Fryerning Hall, along our route, and who was said by some, including the late Mr. Arlott, to have been the fastest bowler of all time and who coined the snappy phrase "Are you going, Doctor? You've still got one stump standing!"

From such a gentle day weather-wise, we were treated to a magnificent sunset, full of orange, purple and vermilion, as we freewheeled down the road into Ingatestone, allegedly closed, but we laughed at the silly "Road Closed" signs and went that way anyway. We both decided that riding through the Buttsbury ford would have been A Mistake and at about 5.50 we arrived at Billericay Station. Within a couple of minutes I was on my train, about 5 minutes later Jane was on hers, and I am now in a lovely warm house with working central heating, and full of stew and dumplings.

I'd like to thank Jane for her spiffing company and her comment about my trim bottom, and look forward to another splendid ride in the not-too-distant future.

« Reply #45 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:54:14 pm »
Sounds like a grand day out, to me  :thumbsup:
Sorry I wasn't able to join you.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #46 on: 17 February, 2012, 07:03:14 am »
It was indeed a lovely day out.  Thanks to Wow for inviting me.  By the time I had got home, I had ridden 90 miles.  Longest ride of the year, for me, so far.