Author Topic: What First 200K?  (Read 1114 times)

What First 200K?
« on: 27 November, 2011, 08:17:07 pm »
I suspect this  has been asked before  but  as  a  New  organiser (Chevy  Chase) I have been asked  about a first  200K event. Having had  a  look through the  calendar there  are no  events  in  Scotland the North that  I would  recommend - The  ideal first  200K would be  rolling, not  hilly with a  good  mix  of  controls  - some commercial some organised and  good  company  around  the  back of the  field (always  a given). Given my  enquirers predicted speed Northern  rides would be too hilly. Any event  suggestions further  afield that  could  be  ridden as part  of a  holiday?

border-rider

Re: What First 200K?
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2011, 08:19:57 pm »
When ?

The Denmead 200s are fairly benign, as are some (but not all) the Cardiff ones. Monmouthshire Meander & Making Hay are nice rides.

« Reply #2 on: 27 November, 2011, 08:40:28 pm »
Aren't some of the rides out of York flat(er)?
Obviously, every 200 in Essex/Suffolk/Norfolk is a (relative) piece of cake, climbing would be around 1800-2100m and the hills are at worst short and steep, mostly very benign.
If you're really going to struggle time-wise, I'd suggest leaving a 200 till you're faster. There's lots of 100ks with lower minimum speeds. Then at least you can be motivated by your success rather than intimidated and put off by being out of time.

« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2011, 10:36:27 pm »
Gilpins gallop is supposed to be pretty flat, I did the 100k version as a first Audax ride last year and it wasn't to hilly. Its not in the calendar yet so not sure if its running next year

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2011, 11:51:38 pm »
Most of the Lincolnshire ones would be rolling rather than hilly. My first (in time) 200 was Clumber to Humber which set off from Bolsover, went over the Humber bridge and came back. It contained a few hills but was not particularly hilly.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!