Author Topic: Trikes on planes  (Read 1174 times)

Trikes on planes
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:10:22 am »
Hoping to buy an ICE sprint next year, just wondered if there is anyone on the forum who has experience of taking them on planes. Is it possible ? I know it's not very green, but I travel to Sweden a lot and woudl like to use the trike there, driving or cycling there isn't really a viable option, at least not until I've retired !
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Trikes on planes
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:20:10 am »
Fold it, box it and keep the weight down to under the limit and fly with it as "sporting equipment".  This is how I got my penny to Oz in February.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:33:16 am »
Buy two.  Keep one in each country.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:47:46 am »
That thought had crossed my mind. I don't want to push my luck though, I've got away with the idea of buying one as a 50th birthday present to myself, don't think I can swing (or afford) a second one ! Not unless I sell the other half's shoe collection  ;D
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:01:09 pm »
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking snatrikes on this motherfucking plane!
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 12:26:56 pm »
I haven't flown with a trike but last year flew my ICE B2 on Easyjet. You have to pay for a bike anyway. Once it is in a box who can tell? I removed the seat and packed it along with my hold luggage. I used an oversize box as well (compared to a standard bike carton) I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be OK.

Cheers

John

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:15:06 pm »
The thought of shipping cycles by plane fills me with dread, but given sufficient folding/dismantlement[1] you can fit about 1.5 Sprints in a standard bike bag.  Keep an eye on the weight limit and protect the delicate bits with bubblewrap and you're sorted.  Don't forget to deflate the tyres: a fail in GCSE physics appears to be compulsory for check-in staff.

[1] Sounds like it'll be worth investing in the optional quick releases kit, which makes removing the front wheels and shortening the boom simpler.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 02:20:13 pm »
Or you could try this:

<i>Marmite slave</i>