Author Topic: Going to Scotland... bit of advice?  (Read 13208 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Going to Scotland... bit of advice?
« on: 19 December, 2011, 01:42:41 am »
Well, my last attempt failed miserably.  But I'm a trier, so Easter will hopefully find me realising two ambitions - going onna sleeper train (while I still can) and possibly riding m'bike in scotland, a bit. 

My plan is vague and fuzzy, but will probably involve a train down the the ECML to That London, in order to catch a sleeper train up the WCML.  Then, probably, a couple of nights of either B&B or cheap chain hotelry, before catching either a train back to york or a sleeper to That London and then a train to York.  I'm studiously avoiding the thought that this will involve taking m'bike to That London and taking solace in the fact that I believe that the stations I'll need to get between aren't too far apart.

If taking the bike feels too complicated, I might save that ambition for another day.  Maybe.  But I want to keep it as a possibility, so will prob book bike spaces. 

First question - where in scotland shall I go?  I'd quite like to not have the stress of having to move my bike around guard vans at dark o'clock when the train splits.  It would be nice to land up somewhere that I have a reasonable chance of a cheapish hotel with some decent bike riding nearby.  I'm not a big city lover, in particular.  But I haven't been north of the border since I was a nipper, so am very open to suggestions.

Any thoughts?

(btw, this is partly as a bit of a recce run prior to possibly repeating the adventure later in the year without bikes but with cubs, who I suspect would love sleeping on a train!)

essexian

Re: Going to Scotland... bit of advice?
« Reply #1 on: 19 December, 2011, 08:13:52 am »
I think this might be suitable for a couple of days ride out of Glasgow....

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network/long-distance-rides/scotland/lochs-and-glens-north#259535,735922

Scotland is a lovely country which you could spend many years exploring. The above route out of Glasgow will give you some ideas of the countryside without getting too remote. Lochearnhead is really nice IMHO.

Others will be along shortly with better ideas no doubt  ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 19 December, 2011, 08:26:46 am »
A few years ago, a small group of us took Bromptons on the train up to Glasgow, rode the canal towpaths to Edinburgh over a weekend and train home. Stayed the night at Falkirk and rode the Falkirk Wheel. All good fun.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2011, 08:37:46 am »
I'm studiously avoiding the thought that this will involve taking m'bike to That London and taking solace in the fact that I believe that the stations I'll need to get between aren't too far apart.

Not sure where you get into London from York but I think it is Kings X/St Pancras which is a quarter of a mile from Euston (where the sleeper goes from) in a straight line on the same road.

I'd quite like to not have the stress of having to move my bike around guard vans at dark o'clock when the train splits.

When we used the sleeper the guard did the bike moving when the train split so don't let this worry you.

« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2011, 08:47:11 am »
Fort William is a beautiful place, and, should the weather be inclement, a ride along to Glenfinnan over the Hogwarts viaduct is not to be missed by train, stopping off at Arisaig where there is a decent tea shop.   There are lots of B&B's, and, with Ben Nevis always over your shoulder, it's a spectacularly beautiful place.   The Caledonian Canal is a lovely place to walk or cycle if you want some flat in the highlands.

Inverness is a busy and quite expensive place IMO but within a couple of hours north or south you have wonderful open country.   

You could in a couple of days catch the sleeper to Blair Atholl or Dalwhinnie and spend two or three days getting to Inverness and the sleeper back south.   There is a good separate cycle track along much of the A9 at that point, and, lots of lovely quiet lanes which used to be the busy road.

Alternatively, ride out north from Inverness to Ardgay via Alness and the Struie.   Easy train back form Ardgay to Inverness.   Push on a bit further to Lairg and catch the train back to Inverness.   

In 2004 - ish we caught the sleeper to Inverness then set out and made Durness in three days fully camping loaded.   We could have B&B'd at Alness, Altnaharra and Durness but we didn't.   There is a bike bus back from Durness to Inverness.   You can visit the legendary Crask Inn en route to Altnaharra, a true long distance cyclists paradise with good basic food, beer and they even do B&B but I'd suggest pushing on a bit further myself.     

I've never ventured out from Aberdeen on the bike but given that we have resident Pingu's there I'm sure they could help with local knowledge should you sleeper to Granite City.     

It is only the Fort William sleeper where they have to move bikes.   Just make sure that yours has a big label on it saying that it's going to Fort William.   

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 19 December, 2011, 10:25:56 am »
When we had to move our tandem, it was because it was in two pieces and the staff didn't want to know. If it had been a solo machine I'm sure there would have ben no problem.

As Clare points out, King's Cross & Euston are only a very short distance apart and it's hardly worth crossing the road to cycle it. By the time you've waited for the pedestrian lights you would have walked most of the way!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 19 December, 2011, 10:28:35 am »
This will sound a bit silly but that's appropriate ;)

Overnight/Day 1.
London-Inverness sleeper.(arrives mid-morning)
Inverness to Thurso (arrives mid afternoon)
Ride to Bettyhill.

Day 2.
From Bettyhill down the Strathnaver Valley.Go slowly.Take a camera.This is cycling Utopialand.
Thru' Altnaharra.
Up to,take in the views as you go, The Crask Inn & stop for food & drink.A unique experience :thumbsup:
Either stay over or push on to Inverness (after Bonar Bridge take the Struie Hill route.The views are absolutely fantastic on the uphill:you'll need crampons: & the decent to Alness is milesofsmiles.
Over The Black Isle to Inverness.
Train to York or London

Grin like a Chesire cat for weeks afterwards

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 19 December, 2011, 10:57:40 am »
When we caught it, the Inverness train arrived around 8.30 a.m. http://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm#Sleeper%20times shows that it's timetabled to arrive at 8.31.

Oh bugger! http://www.decoaches.co.uk/timetables/service%20804.pdf shows that the 804(bike bus) starts on May 21st. No good for you. I'd typed all of the following before I checked that and I might as well let it stand in case you go a bit later.

That allows you time to catch the Bike Bus, which goes to Durness via Ullapool daily. The 60-odd miles form Inverness to Ullapool isn't worth cycling, but there's a glorious trip you can do (I thin Jaded has described it, or some of it, as the "best 100k in the country") from just north of Ullapool out towards the coast.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?X=216675&Y=905350&A=Y&Z=120&lm=1 shows the turn-off and you could, if you caught the bike bus, get him to drop you off at that junction as the A835 is quite unpleasant because of the traffic even to the north of Ullapool - at least, it was in late July. It may well be much quieter at Easter. You could go out to the Achilitibuie hotel and then north to Lochinver. You could either pick the bike bus up again there (it stops at the Tourist Info place for the driver's break) or carry on along the B869 and tackle the chevrons. I missed this, sadly, because I had knackered myself over the previous two days. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=218330&Y=933150&A=Y&Z=120 looks like fun!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:03:45 am »
When we caught it, the Inverness train arrived around 8.30 a.m. http://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm#Sleeper%20times shows that it's timetabled to arrive at 8.31.

Quite so but AIUI from railstaff & others it is typically an hour late due to other trains not running to timetable over the single track & the Sleeper regularly stands-off in Dalwhinnie.

You obviously have the train gods onside Wows ;D

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #9 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:10:54 am »
Presumably you're intending to leave the train in Glasgow ?  In which case I suggest that the Cowal Peninsula and the Isle of Bute are but a short local train and ferry away.
Aero but not dynamic

CrinklyLion

« Reply #10 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:11:26 am »
Part of the problem I'm having with deciding what to do is that I'll need to book the tickets in a couple of weeks to get cheap fares, but won't know for a while what sort of distance will be doable on the bike  :-\

« Reply #11 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:15:08 am »
In that case pick a route which runs close to rail lines.   For instance, my Inverness routes do.   Be warned though, the train north of Inverness sometimes cannot take bikes.   No problems generally except in peak summer periods south of Inverness IME.

« Reply #12 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:17:10 am »
Oh, how about getting the sleeper to Glasgow, then train to Arddrossan and ferry to Arran.   Set up base camp at Brodick and ride out.   The north and south of the island are different and beautiful.   There is a good quality hostel up the north end near the distillery at Lachranza.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #13 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:19:04 am »
Presumably you're intending to leave the train in Glasgow ?  In which case I suggest that the Cowal Peninsula and the Isle of Bute are but a short local train and ferry away.

I haven't remotely decided where to leave the train.  The simplest plan would be to disembark somewhere with or near a reasonable possibility of not-too-expensive accommodation where I can base myself for a couple of nights and with some decent cycling within shouting distance, but other stuff to look at and nice walking too in case my cycling is still restricted.  At the moment more than 15 miles hurts, and while I'm sure that will be completely different by easter I don't want to gamble my 'big holiday' without boys of the year on _having_ to be able to do touring mileage to get from one point to another, because if I'm unlucky and still can't do the miles I'd be a bit scuppered.  It's not _massive_ amounts of cash if I get lucky with my tickets - probably a couple of hundred quid - but time and money aren't massively available so I probably need to keep it simple-ish.

« Reply #14 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:20:26 am »
I'm a bit confused.  You're going to Scotland from York via London?   Why not go straight to Manchester or Carlisle and change.  Or Edinburgh and change.  It will save you a fortune.  I did Leeds to Arran round trip for £40 including return ferry, changing at Carlisle and Glasgow, and was riding on Arran by 1PM.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:23:43 am »
This

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-62/

is a very nice ride although a bit later than Easter ( 6 & 8th April 2012)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #16 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:28:28 am »
I'm a bit confused.  You're going to Scotland from York via London?   Why not go straight to Manchester or Carlisle and change.  Or Edinburgh and change.  It will save you a fortune.  I did Leeds to Arran round trip for £40 including return ferry, changing at Carlisle and Glasgow, and was riding on Arran by 1PM.

Because a very large part of the point of this particular Silly_(perhaps)Bike_Adventure is going on the sleeper train.  Which I have wanted to do for over 30 years!

And if I get lucky with tix I can get down to London for about a tenner, and advance sleeper tickets for 20-30 quid each way.  It's a question of deciding now what to book so I can book as soon as they are available.  Than budget for a couple of nights accommodation somewhere, and some food and stuff.  It's an indulgence, but probably not an outrageous one.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #17 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:29:26 am »
There's some nice walking & cycling around Dunkeld plus the area has local Scottish history.

I know used a very decent pub in Birnam that does good food & clean accommodation within a 2 minute ride from Dunkeld & Birnam station.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #18 on: 19 December, 2011, 12:03:55 pm »
I am reliably informed by someone who knows me reasonably well that there is absolutely no question about it, and Fort William is where I want to go.

Any more votes for that?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #19 on: 19 December, 2011, 12:11:21 pm »
I'd vote for that.
You could get onto Mull from there ftw

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 19 December, 2011, 12:41:56 pm »
When is easter next year? There may be weather...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 19 December, 2011, 01:00:07 pm »
Fort William is excellent. If you want food and drink, the Grog and Gruel is the only pub I've found there that's any good, but it is very good. I've never taken the train from Mallaig, but we've cycled it. It's a lovely ride.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #22 on: 19 December, 2011, 01:00:36 pm »
When is easter next year? There may be weather...

Easter ( 6 & 8th April 2012)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #23 on: 19 December, 2011, 01:04:23 pm »
I'd be going a few days before... I need to get back south for the Easter Arrow.  First few days of April, basically.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #24 on: 19 December, 2011, 01:10:19 pm »
West coast, early April...if I had the choice of Glasgow in the rain/sleet or Fort William in the rain/sleet I know which one I'd chose. 

Edit - of course if you're lucky it could be snow
Aero but not dynamic