Author Topic: Going to Scotland... bit of advice?  (Read 13166 times)

Re: Going to Scotland... bit of advice?
« Reply #100 on: 03 April, 2012, 11:48:21 am »
No, no midges, but high possibility of avalanche!!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #101 on: 03 April, 2012, 06:57:54 pm »
Unfortunately the sleeper train broke. So they woke us up at 4 to move to a crappy local service for the 5+ hours of slow and uncomfortable travelling to fw. Scotrail staff brilliant, but scotrail service shite. We braved the a road to the hotel to dump bags, went back to town to find breakfast and send postcards to cubs and crinklyuncle, rode back to hotel who let us check in early and slept all afternoon! Currently debating whether to walk the mile and a half to town for fish and chips or just go for hotel restaurant! It's really not cycling weather out there!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #102 on: 03 April, 2012, 07:12:34 pm »
Unfortunately the sleeper train broke. So they woke us up at 4 to move to a crappy local service for the 5+ hours of slow and uncomfortable travelling to fw. Scotrail staff brilliant, but scotrail service shite.
:'( :'( Sorry to hear.  With so few sleeper trains, there's no fall-back if it packs in.

Good luck in avoiding the snow.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

CrinklyLion

« Reply #103 on: 03 April, 2012, 07:46:21 pm »
We are currently avoiding the snow by judicious deployment of gin in the hotel bar whilst waiting for chips :)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #104 on: 03 April, 2012, 07:59:08 pm »
Ahh...reminds me of the first time Pingu took me camping. It was nr FW, at Easter. My mum said "you're mad, it will be freezing!".
Upon her nagging I took a double duvet as well as all the usual camping gear.
As she'd suggested, there was snow on the ground and it was flipping baltic. I spent the nights inside Pingu's best sleeping bag, wearing all my clothes, with the winter duvet on top and I was still cold.
~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #105 on: 05 April, 2012, 06:12:51 pm »
Well, we made it there and back. 

The good bits (mountains, snow, hotel, not actually getting killed on the A82, the night duty manager feeding free nice coffee to an early morning insomniac, pool, the breakfast, cafes, Scotrail staff, Alpine Bike handing over a 40 quid track pump and letting me walk out of the shop with it to inflate CA's repaired front flat without so much as blinking, the ferry tour in the sunshine, the ferry people sticking our bikes in their office while we were on the boat, the views, the bridges etc etc etc) were unutterably lovely.

The bad bits (no sleeper train for half the journey north, the crap train that replaced it, arriving so tired that it hurt, the A82, being completely incapable of actually making a plan to ride m'bike anywhere, 8 hours of being freezing and miserable in London, just London and being there with a bike which for possibly the first time in my life felt like an encumbrance that I wished I just didn't have to deal with, and feeling rotten at inflicting all of that little lot on my sister) were indescribably shit.

I think the good outweighed the bad, although I'm not sure by what margin - ask me when I've slept.  For about a week.

The best bit?  CrinklyAuntie.  Who is a sodding hero for putting up with me.

CrinklyAuntie

• aka Auntie Cake and The Sheriff of Christmas
« Reply #106 on: 05 April, 2012, 07:52:14 pm »
I can't wait to go back :)

I'm happy I got a full quota of cute dogs - very excited choc lab puppies, a white thing in the hotel which looked like a mixture of a few dogs, a yellow lab who was very close to stealing my carrot cake and a pair of what looked like weimaraners, taking their owner for a walk.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #107 on: 06 April, 2012, 05:07:02 am »
You forgot Big Dog Little Dog outside the Cow and Bean in Regents Park!

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #108 on: 06 April, 2012, 11:01:57 am »
So when are you coming back?