Author Topic: Going to Scotland... bit of advice?  (Read 13206 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Re: Going to Scotland... bit of advice?
« Reply #75 on: 14 January, 2012, 07:22:37 pm »
From Fort William get the wee ferry across Loch Linnhe, cycle down to Corran (decent pubs for lunches on either side of the crossing) and cross back. Then take the main road down to the bridge at Ballachulish. Immediately after crossing the bridge you're on to good tarmac cyclepath all the way to Glencoe. Keep going on the minor road through Glencoe village to Glencoe YH. It's more or less in the glen proper and within walking distance of the Clachaig Inn for some decent food and beer in the evening. That's almost dead on 20 miles and the scenery is good all the way. You're on the A82 for a few miles but although it's not a great road for cycling that short section has never seemed bad to me. Return the next day is a simple reverse of the outbound route, but if you want to add in a few miles on either day then the cycle path is good all the way from Ballachulish down to Kentallen. The Holy Tree Hotel there isn't cheap but does good food and the views over the Loch are terrific.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #76 on: 14 January, 2012, 08:41:28 pm »
Hmmm..... youth hostels, nice pubs, ferries and bridges, you say.  That's (understatement alert) quite an appealing prospect.  And 20 miles is well within the distances I've been riding the last few weeks.  Couple of questions/mild concerns though:

- that SNO stuff has been mentioned as not completely infeasible in early April.  If I book accommodation 20 miles away in Glencoe I might be utterly stuck if I couldn't actually ride there because of weather....
- how easy to get lost is it?  I am woefully dreadful at navigation!
- I am from York.  Railway bridges count as hills round here.  I got almost halfway competent at sort-of-hilly stuff last summer, mostly because of riding with the fast-northern-boys-wot-are-a-bad-influence, but the combination of broken elbow and that bugger Deano leaving us means I haven't essayed a lump at all in nearly 5 months.  Do I need to be scared?

« Reply #77 on: 14 January, 2012, 08:51:36 pm »
Cor CL look at the back up you have us lot. If you get stuck holler I am sure a Yacfer will sort something out just make sure your phone is charged.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #78 on: 14 January, 2012, 08:53:28 pm »
If you are staying in the Great Glen, then it's not actually particularly hilly, if anything climbing up to bridges seemed as bad as it got round there.

Navigation wise, there aren't a lot of roads to worry about, so you shouldn't need to worry too much on that score.

Oh, and watch out for the big A roads like the A861 :)

I've no idea about the sno tho.

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #79 on: 14 January, 2012, 09:15:27 pm »
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/ukmapavge.html may be of help in predicting snow. It's pretty unlikely in April but you can never rule it out. In Essex, I've only ever seen one white Christmas (1970) but I reckon I've seen upwards of half-a-dozen Easter Sundays with snow falling, and settling.

Getting lost in that part of the world is nigh-on impossible. The reason the roads are where they are is because there are insurmountable obstacles in the gaps between them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #80 on: 14 January, 2012, 09:22:45 pm »
I am liking this reassurance :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #81 on: 14 January, 2012, 10:46:38 pm »
IME the roads in Scotland very often go around the hills.
There are not enough roads to make navigation a problem.

You have no need to be anything other than confident Crinlkly.

Snow: no mossies & adjourn to the pub.Win Win. :thumbsup:

« Reply #82 on: 14 January, 2012, 10:50:34 pm »
and within walking distance of the Clachaig Inn for some decent food and beer in the evening.

Christ that's stirred some memories - I remember (just) dancing on the table with a drunk aussie climbing lass in there once.  Happy days!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #83 on: 15 January, 2012, 10:33:33 am »
And I just got the bike bookings sorted....

...I might be a a little bit excited :)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #84 on: 15 January, 2012, 11:04:24 am »
I'm probably going down to That Essex over Easter so if you need a bed in Edinburgh, my flat will be empty.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #85 on: 15 January, 2012, 11:19:17 am »
Thanks Kirst, that's really kind.  But we're now booked to Fort William!  *does a little happy dance*

Bairn Again

« Reply #86 on: 15 January, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »
Do check very carefully that the ferry is running though.

true.  the timetable is here

http://www.lochabertransport.org.uk/TransportinLochaber/PublicTransport/Ferries/CamusnagaulFerry.aspx

this ferry transferred from Calmac to a private operator a few years ago and (in the opinion of my M-I-L) has become slightly less reliable.  Im going to be up there some point over the holidays and will get an up to date report.   

My m-i-l assures me that the service is reliable - she uses it quite a bit to go walking on the west side of loch linnhe and has never had a problem.  hopefully mcshroom just got it on a bad day.   

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #87 on: 15 January, 2012, 06:28:19 pm »
Hopefully that was the case. It was annoying sitting at the jetty for over an hour, before a local bus driver stopped to tell me it wasn't running, then I ended up riding round Loch Eil in fading light and had to put my tent up in the dark. All of which may have coloured my opinion of the ferry a bit.

From what I understand it's based on the Fort Willim side of the loch, so I would imagine there wouldn't be any issues going from the other side.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #88 on: 16 January, 2012, 11:01:49 pm »
Hmmm..... youth hostels, nice pubs, ferries and bridges, you say.  That's (understatement alert) quite an appealing prospect.  And 20 miles is well within the distances I've been riding the last few weeks.  Couple of questions/mild concerns though:

- that SNO stuff has been mentioned as not completely infeasible in early April.  If I book accommodation 20 miles away in Glencoe I might be utterly stuck if I couldn't actually ride there because of weather....
- how easy to get lost is it?  I am woefully dreadful at navigation!
- I am from York.  Railway bridges count as hills round here.  I got almost halfway competent at sort-of-hilly stuff last summer, mostly because of riding with the fast-northern-boys-wot-are-a-bad-influence, but the combination of broken elbow and that bugger Deano leaving us means I haven't essayed a lump at all in nearly 5 months.  Do I need to be scared?

You're not only at sea level on this route, you're right next to the sea (well a sea-loch anyway). Chance of real snow almost nil at this level, although there might be some to make the mountain tops look pretty.
There's not enough roads to make it possible to get lost.
The route I suggested is as flat as you'll find anywhere. Biggest climb is the Ballachulish bridge. If by the time you go you're fancying a slightly longer route and want a few hills then the alternative route is to not go over the bridge and go round by Kinlochleven instead. Lovely load but has a few wee climbs and Kinlochleven isn't a particularly nice village.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

CrinklyLion

« Reply #89 on: 16 January, 2012, 11:04:17 pm »
This is sounding better and better  ;D

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #90 on: 17 January, 2012, 03:00:09 am »
When in Fort Bill, go up Glen Nevis by bike. You will cross the river by the Polldubh waterfall, under a mass of crags where I used to do a lot of solo climbing. That stretch is where Hogwarts is set in the films. As the road climbs, it comes to a dead end in a turning circle with a huge waterslide coming down the hillside. Lock up the bike and put on your walking boots, and follow the path through the spectacular gorge (easy walking) until it opens out by the Steall waterfall (In the film Excalibur).

Keep walking. The path goes on a very long way, so go as far as you want, with views of the Aonachs and Stob Ban, and herds of red deer disappearing over the hillside as the stag watches to see where you are going.

Wonderful scenery, easy walking, simple cycling.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

CrinklyLion

« Reply #91 on: 21 January, 2012, 07:22:48 am »
Well, I have just booked the last bit of orange cardboard.  Which means that for £91 I now have tickets with bike bookings down to That London then (with time allowed for a drink or two before boarding and to allow for faffing and panic) back up to Fort William, back down to London and back up to York.  I've booked one back north with a hyooge gap, so I should have several hours to fill in London.  I am even considering the possibility of going for a bike ride.....

And I have a very kind offer from another parishioner of the loan of a several of Finest Scottish Maps.

So I just need to book the accommodation.  And wait nearly three months....

Is it nearly time to go yet?  How many more sleeps?

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #92 on: 21 January, 2012, 08:15:31 am »
When in Fort Bill, go up Glen Nevis by bike. You will cross the river by the Polldubh waterfall, under a mass of crags where I used to do a lot of solo climbing. That stretch is where Hogwarts is set in the films. As the road climbs, it comes to a dead end in a turning circle with a huge waterslide coming down the hillside. Lock up the bike and put on your walking boots, and follow the path through the spectacular gorge (easy walking) until it opens out by the Steall waterfall (In the film Excalibur).

Keep walking. The path goes on a very long way, so go as far as you want, with views of the Aonachs and Stob Ban, and herds of red deer disappearing over the hillside as the stag watches to see where you are going.
Wonderful scenery, easy walking, simple cycling.
I would second this, and Valkyries suggestion for the ride down from Camusnagaul to Corran, back over and on to Glencoe.  I have done both these things with a nine year old.  No problem. In fact her words were easy peasy. Beware the fact you may lose your children to Scotland when they grow up if your trip inspires them as much as our frequent cycling holidays here did my wee one.  In fact she is up in Glencoe as we speak, getting ready for a day's climbing.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #93 on: 18 March, 2012, 08:23:30 pm »
Going for a very very Keep it Simple plan in the end - I just booked a room for the night in Fort William. 

So, any unmissable suggestions for 20-30 mile circular routes from and to FW? 

CrinklyLion

« Reply #94 on: 02 April, 2012, 03:05:34 pm »
Wish us luck, 'cos CrinklyAuntie and me are on our way!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #95 on: 02 April, 2012, 03:14:33 pm »
Have fun  :)

« Reply #96 on: 02 April, 2012, 03:30:57 pm »
If you want it really flat you could pop along to Banavie and then trundle gracefully alongside the Caledonian Canal.   Spectacular views of Ben Nevis if the skies are clear.

« Reply #97 on: 02 April, 2012, 09:21:16 pm »
Enjoy!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #98 on: 02 April, 2012, 09:26:40 pm »
Enjoy yourselves :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #99 on: 03 April, 2012, 10:40:07 am »
You picked the weather for it. The good thing is that there will be no danger of midges..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes