Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 598481 times)

Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #1250 on: 27 May, 2011, 11:15:34 pm »
Clapham Common itself is essentially dead flat, but there's a hill on the approach to it, Cedars Road, which we go up on the Brighton/Bognor FNRttC route.

It's about 21m of rise in around 550m, so that implies it's about 1 in 26, which isn't all that challenging.  As Clarion said, it is however probably the steepest bit on my commute.

Segment of commute, and the elevation profile:

Heh, you are very welcome to come join me on my commute any time  :D

« Reply #1251 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:29:54 am »

One of the flip sides of my commute is that there are around 60 traffic lights along it, so Clapham Common is also one of the least traffic lighted parts of the route.

The traffic in That London is also interesting.  Even having left work at 11pm, and arrived home just before midnight, the roads are still pretty busy.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1252 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:31:59 am »

One of the flip sides of my commute is that there are around 60 traffic lights along it, so Clapham Common is also one of the least traffic lighted parts of the route.

The traffic in That London is also interesting.  Even having left work at 11pm, and arrived home just before midnight, the roads are still pretty busy.

Yup, you are right, I can often ride my entire commute without stopping at all ... and there are no traffic lights on it at all  ;D

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #1253 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:43:00 am »
This made me think. Including pelicans, I have 19 lights on my commute.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1254 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:54:29 am »
3 sets of traffic lights (and 4 toucans) in the 7 very urban miles from FirstBorn's school to the office.  6 traffic lights and 1 toucan in the 8-mile return journey from office to flat. 

Cunning running  ;)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1255 on: 28 May, 2011, 01:26:48 am »
Yup, you are right, I can often ride my entire commute without stopping at all ... and there are no traffic lights on it at all  ;D

Same here.  No traffic lights and no roundabouts in a 10 mile commute for me. Most of my roads are single lane too  :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1256 on: 28 May, 2011, 06:44:33 am »
This thread drift from spotting forumites to traffic furniture & topography suggests that you should adjourn to the "On My Commute" thread.
There are no traffic lights or hills on my commute :smug: :demon:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1257 on: 28 May, 2011, 03:24:42 pm »
Spotted Ham at ... Ham Hall.  It was a pre-arranged visit for me to ogle some of his bikes.  Nice chat, next time I must make sure I have more time on my hands.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1258 on: 28 May, 2011, 03:37:40 pm »
3 traffic lights in a 20km commute.  ;D

Oh, and a hill which carries actual AA points*.

Traffic's a real nightmare too. Yesterday, in the 3 miles it takes over Addingham Moorside from Ilkley to Silsden, I saw three cars.

*Not sure which Audax, but I remember a ride report by (I think) MV describing going over that hill on fixed, and thinking "that's my commute, that is". :smug: I don't do it on fixed, though. And sometimes I walk. :-[

« Reply #1259 on: 28 May, 2011, 04:21:46 pm »
Ah yes, that'll be why I spotted Andrij today, come to think of it 

All very pleasant - I suspect the Golden Fleece has our names on the visitors list at some point, too. :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1260 on: 29 May, 2011, 02:09:42 pm »
Aidan, in a car park in Helmsley.

Had a chat, took a bike off the back of his car and put it in the back of my car.

He does exist!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1261 on: 29 May, 2011, 02:14:30 pm »
I told you so!

« Reply #1262 on: 29 May, 2011, 02:21:50 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YG3lVLzlOgg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YG3lVLzlOgg&rel=1</a>

« Reply #1263 on: 29 May, 2011, 03:43:25 pm »

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #1264 on: 29 May, 2011, 05:00:46 pm »
Double spotting in a single day - Tigerr with raceface on coming down through Black Lion Gate, foolishly tried to catch up whilst on a single speed and then a few hours later Mickey doing his thing by the Albert memorial.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #1265 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:01:54 pm »
Double spotting in a single day - Tigerr with raceface on coming down through Black Lion Gate, foolishly tried to catch up whilst on a single speed and then a few hours later Mickey doing his thing by the Albert memorial.

It was you who waved at the head of the big yellow group?  :D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #1266 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:03:56 pm »

It was you who waved at the head of the big yellow group?  :D

indeed - taking the murdoch shilling leading a skyride. London was strangely quiet today, was there something good on telly?
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #1267 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »
Super chuffed you took the time to say hi!  Thanks!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1268 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:18:03 pm »
We've spotted Petes46 in a field in Somerset with his rather impresive Trice and trailer rig this weekend. We've also spotted Steve Oxley (who is not a forumite but is well known to many here), in the same field :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

border-rider

« Reply #1269 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:21:13 pm »
We've also spotted Steve Oxley (who is not a forumite but is well known to many here), in the same field :D.

Mr Oxley pops up all over the place :)

I see him in random places several times a year.  He popped up in Llandovery last year on Brevet Cymru day.

Former clubmate of mine, and the man who introduced me to Audax.

« Reply #1270 on: 29 May, 2011, 09:29:33 pm »
Anyone of this parish camping in St. Neots atm?  Have seen very nice fully loaded Thorn with panniers and carradice bag around town last couple of days and there is a c and c location down the road.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1271 on: 30 May, 2011, 03:08:27 pm »
Spotted Mr Bunbury on Friday, well he came up and said hello, as MFWHTBAB and I waited by the Parliament St fountain for our camping party.

Seconds earlier, we'd been passed by son-of-MrCharley, who also said hello.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1272 on: 30 May, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »
We've also spotted Steve Oxley (who is not a forumite but is well known to many here), in the same field :D.

I see him in random places several times a year.  He popped up in Llandovery last year on Brevet Cymru day.

A quiet and unassuming man, very interesting to chat with.  Of course, your name came up, and he spoke fondly of you.  The conversation also included mention of Mr Abrahams and his exploits, as well as many others.  I'm afraid I couldn't remember very many RL names of forumites :(
Getting there...

« Reply #1273 on: 30 May, 2011, 10:09:23 pm »

A quiet and unassuming man, very interesting to chat with.  Of course, your name came up, and he spoke fondly of you.  The conversation also included mention of Mr Abrahams and his exploits, as well as many others.  I'm afraid I couldn't remember very many RL names of forumites :(

His greetings were relayed to me by one of the riders on my weekend event, from a field near Isle Brewers.

« Reply #1274 on: 01 June, 2011, 09:36:24 am »
I spotted a tall male rider in an Audax Cymru jersey in Tintern yesterday afternoon at about 4pm, from a distance.  I have no idea who it was but am fairly confident they will be on here!