Author Topic: Recommend me some wheels for all year commuting, audax and club rides  (Read 26750 times)

Re: Recommend me some wheels for all year commuting, audax and club rides
« Reply #100 on: 10 January, 2012, 02:19:53 pm »
Just riding along.

Miche Primato on Velocity A23 rims - recommended by a lot of wheel builders as they are easier to build on than Mavic OP.  32 spokes front and rear and only £242 for the set. Sounds like a winner to me!

« Reply #101 on: 10 January, 2012, 05:35:18 pm »
Just riding along.

Miche Primato on Velocity A23 rims - recommended by a lot of wheel builders as they are easier to build on than Mavic OP.  32 spokes front and rear and only £242 for the set. Sounds like a winner to me!

Went with this set.

Weighs in at 1822 for the set which is incredible, at the same time they are strong wheels, used by a lot of Cyclocross riders. Was worth going for the 32 spokes over the 28 just for a peace of mind. With postage it cost £253 which means I saved £50 on my other ideas which is a bonus.

The wheels are sealed bearings and can be replaced with ceramic too if that would make things any better?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #103 on: 10 January, 2012, 05:55:35 pm »
Shit no longer available.
  :facepalm:
That's hard luck, spenceey. You must have just missed the last of them. I ordered some at the weekend, got them yesterday. (Not that that's any help to you.)

FWIW, people seem to like Schwalbe Durano Plus as an alternative. I've no experience of them myself. Or it might be worth looking at one of the many flavours of Vittoria Rubinos: I've used some of the cheaper models on my winter bike, and found them very reliable.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #104 on: 10 January, 2012, 05:57:38 pm »
The wheels are sealed bearings and can be replaced with ceramic too if that would make things any better?
For the love of god, please no, just ride the things as they are.

Send me your address - I'll bring some tyres round. Anything to end this madness.

;)

[ You can upgrade to ceramic when you've worn out the current ones! ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #105 on: 10 January, 2012, 06:12:08 pm »
Oh no no way I'll be buying ceramic bearings just yet!!

I just need to order some decent tyres and I'll be happy. Gatorskins tick all the boxes but don't stick well in the wet which for a commuting, audax, club run bike isn't all that great!

Are these any good?

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s121p32

« Reply #106 on: 10 January, 2012, 06:19:59 pm »
Send me your address - I'll bring some tyres round. Anything to end this madness.
;)

Don't relax just yet Matt - It'll be groupset next!  ;D

« Reply #107 on: 10 January, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »
Oi! I'm riding the groupset which I'm swapping over.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #108 on: 10 January, 2012, 06:53:20 pm »
Shit no longer available.
  :facepalm:
That's hard luck, spenceey. You must have just missed the last of them. I ordered some at the weekend, got them yesterday. (Not that that's any help to you.)

FWIW, people seem to like Schwalbe Durano Plus as an alternative. I've no experience of them myself. Or it might be worth looking at one of the many flavours of Vittoria Rubinos: I've used some of the cheaper models on my winter bike, and found them very reliable.

Durano Plus are a lot heavier.  Given the OPs fear of weight a Schwalbe Ultremo DD might be better

« Reply #109 on: 10 January, 2012, 06:59:19 pm »
I reckon the slightly higher weight of the Durano Plus is far outweighed by never having to deal with punctures. If you're after durability and not having a bike that lets you down in a hurry you can't go far wrong with them IMO. They are also very easy to get onto Mavic OP rims. I changed mine after 5k miles for PBP with a new set just in case, but the old ones look brilliant still. I will be re-fitting them to my other bike also running Durano Plus's when they eventually wear out, but this may take some time :)

« Reply #110 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:29:04 pm »
Durano plus aren't actually a lot more than the Gatorskins.

Still undecided on tyres though. Is there a definitive tyre list?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #111 on: 11 January, 2012, 01:31:11 pm »
to be honest, I'm not sure tyres have ever been discussed on YACF before.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #112 on: 11 January, 2012, 01:32:39 pm »
to be honest, I'm not sure tyres have ever been discussed on YACF before.

;D

« Reply #113 on: 11 January, 2012, 01:34:54 pm »
My take on durano plus

Name well deserved.

Soggy ride unless pumped up hard - and then they are a very harsh ride.

Good tyre for the rear on a bike that does high miles.

You can use a lighter, smoother-riding tyre (such as Rubino Plus or Krylion carbon) on the front.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #114 on: 11 January, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »
I'm going to go with the 25mm gatorskin tyre and tube set from wiggle.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #115 on: 11 January, 2012, 02:01:19 pm »
Why?  Why go for a tyre that gets a lot of complaints about poor grip and fragile sidewalls?  Why ignore recommendations for Vittoria Rubino Pro?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #116 on: 11 January, 2012, 04:02:02 pm »
I've had Gatorskins for a while and have got on with them fine.

Although I never realised the Vittoria Rubino pro 3 folding were that cheap before! I may go for them then.

Are these the ones your talking about?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Vittoria-TYRES-ROAD-TRI-TRACK-FOLDING-Vittoria-Rubino-Pro-3-Folding-Tyre/VITTTYRF610

Or Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 Tech Folding Tyre

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Vittoria-Rubino-Pro-3-Tech-Folding-Tyre/VITTTYRF630

If It's the first I'll plump for them they look quite good.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #117 on: 11 January, 2012, 04:05:57 pm »
Sorry, I didn't realise/remember that you already have experience with Gatorskins.  You might as well stick with them as you've got on fine with them.

I was talking about all versions of Rubino Pro.  Only try one of them if you fancy a change anyway.

Sorry again about my reply above.  I've been feeling a bit odd today.

« Reply #118 on: 11 January, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »
No problem, don't worry about it.

What version on the rubino then? There's so many different vittoria tyres I'm lost!
If It's the cheaper ones I'd love to try them out. The Rubino Pro folding get quite good reviews actually.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #119 on: 11 January, 2012, 04:12:44 pm »
I reckon you'd like the Pro 3 version of Rubino Pro the best.  The Tech version with reinforced sidewalls would be a bit over-kill for you, considering you don't mind the Gatorskin's sidewalls.

« Reply #120 on: 11 January, 2012, 04:13:56 pm »
Brilliant so the first cheaper choice?

It's not that I don't mind the Gatorskin side walls, just that I've never had anything happen to the side walls. Would it be worth me paying more for the tech?

« Reply #121 on: 12 January, 2012, 11:56:14 pm »
Just thought I'd let you all know I went with the 25mm Rubino Pro 3 tech folding. Look completely up to the job! Wheels should be here next week so should the last few bits I ordered for my bike build.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #122 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:17:40 am »
The extra security from the Tech's reinforced sidewalls should be great for your commuting and audaxing.  They'll only very slightly add something to the rolling resistance and weight.

Good luck with the build.  I'll never forget the first ride on my Tifosi CK7.  I deliberately didn't go for a test ride at all before it was absolutely finished*, complete with accessories.  Its a nice feeling indeed to ride something that immediately feels almost perfect, that you've put together yourself.

* "Finished" for me doesn't mean leaving no excess fork steerer tube above the stem.  You might want to raise the bars a bit one day.

« Reply #123 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:16:52 pm »
That's what I thought with the rubino pros, the extra protection may have a weight penalty but It's not something I can scrimp on at all.

I'm hoping mine will be ok if I measure them up with my current carbon forks. So long as the head tube is the same length.

Very excited now. Already planning some cycling rotues. Thanks for the help guys