Author Topic: Recommend me some wheels for all year commuting, audax and club rides  (Read 26911 times)

Re: Recommend me some wheels for all year commuting, audax and club rides
« Reply #75 on: 04 January, 2012, 10:36:30 am »
Rubino pro or Krylion carbon (or the new version) are both good choices. I agree with Biggsy about 23mm, but not about 28mm.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #76 on: 04 January, 2012, 10:43:53 am »
I've been riding 28mm gatorskins for the last 3 years and have had 25mm gatorskins on my fixed gear for 2 years. They are both solid tires but given the choice I'm going to go for 25mm again I think, I can always buy a set of 28mm if I plan on light tours.

Are the Vittoria Rubino Pros grippy in the wet? That's my only criticism of the Gatorskins.

« Reply #77 on: 04 January, 2012, 12:01:36 pm »
Yes, they are pretty good. Not as long lasting as the Krylion carbon, but I think they have an even better feel (and are easier to get hold of).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #79 on: 04 January, 2012, 12:14:55 pm »
Quite a few reviews saying that once you get to a certain distance on them the puncture resistance starts to give up.

« Reply #80 on: 04 January, 2012, 01:20:59 pm »
In my experience, that's true of most lightweight tyres (with the possible exception of marathon and durano plus).

I've found that width and pressures also matter. 1.5"x26" Paselas run at 65psi last 4-5000miles. 1"x700c Paselas run at 100psi last 2-3000miles.

I don't think you can have hardwearing, lightweight, puncture resistant and grippy in the same tyre.

Bontrager Hardcase have a good reputation for being lightish, hardwearing and puncture resistant - but slip slidy in the wet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #81 on: 04 January, 2012, 01:31:11 pm »
Quite a few reviews saying that once you get to a certain distance on them the puncture resistance starts to give up.
I use Michelin Krylion and before the prices got silly I used Continental 4 Seasons all in 25mm.  I use them for everything including cycle camping and mild off road riding.  I tend to get flats caused by hawthorn, but hawthorn gets through just about everything.  Longevity - Michelin say 5000km for a Krylion, so that's about 3000 miles.  I've only done a bit more than 2000 miles on the Krylions but they look to be holding up well and I am happy enough that I have bought a stock of them.  4 Seasons, I suppose I got between 3 and 4 thousand miles - it is hard to tell because I  fit new tyres before going on tour and then tend to put them on a hack to wear out the last 1000 or so.

« Reply #82 on: 04 January, 2012, 01:44:57 pm »
Or is it worth me going for a rigid version (would that get more life out of the tyres)?

If not I may go for the recommendations above. My commuting miles are about 4.8k a year, so I'd only have to replace them once (fingers crossed!)

The Michelin Krylion Carbon are only £20 each from ribble. Balls just checked they are no longer available.

EDIT -- OK it doesn't look like you can get hold of the 25mm version much any more.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #83 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »

I don't think you can have hardwearing, lightweight, puncture resistant and grippy in the same tyre.

Cheap as well please!!  I'm not getting into this tyre discussion.  Agree that Krylions are quite nice

« Reply #84 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:04:45 pm »
EDIT -- OK it doesn't look like you can get hold of the 25mm version much any more.

Chain Reaction bought the last remaing stock from Michelin.  They're being replaced or rebranded as Pro 4 something, no doubt at considerably more than 25 quid.  Get some while you still can.  Some of us have been stocking up..

« Reply #85 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:07:55 pm »
Or is it worth me going for a rigid version (would that get more life out of the tyres)?
No

Rigid is cheaper, heavier and lasts no longer.

I think the Krylion Carbon is rebranded as Pro 4 Endurance.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #86 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:32:47 pm »
What would be the difference of them and something like below;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ultra-gatorskin-road-tyre-and-tube-set/

In 25mm of course.

« Reply #87 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:46:44 pm »
I'll leave that for someone else to answer - I've never used gatorskins.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #88 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:48:17 pm »

Chain Reaction bought the last remaing stock from Michelin.  They're being replaced or rebranded as Pro 4 something, no doubt at considerably more than 25 quid.  Get some while you still can.  Some of us have been stocking up..

looks like they will be found at 40 EUR in Germany http://www.starbike.com/p/Michelin-PRO4-Endurance-4752-en

« Reply #89 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:59:35 pm »
looks like they will be found at 40 EUR in Germany http://www.starbike.com/p/Michelin-PRO4-Endurance-4752-en
27 Euro in France http://www.xxcycle.com/krylion-carbon-700x25,,en.php my favourite supplier.

Sorry - misread, your link is for the new PRO4-Endurance.

« Reply #90 on: 04 January, 2012, 03:04:11 pm »
I'll leave that for someone else to answer - I've never used gatorskins.

I'm a big fan of gatorskins. But not sure about the weight saving of the folding tyres

« Reply #91 on: 05 January, 2012, 02:44:30 pm »
Thanks for all the help with this subject guys. Chris King wheelset is on It's way. My next subject is off to tyres, depending on what I can get hold of maybe be the ones recommended above or Gatorskins.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #92 on: 06 January, 2012, 12:19:52 pm »
I would imagine that if you are cycling with Hamsterskins Gatorskins in an area free from flint then fine.

I live in Hampshire and have only had grim experiences of these and now use/recommend the Continental 4 Seasons for Audax as they are pretty puncture resistant (until they wear down). Even so, a cursory glance to remove flinty incursions still stuck in the tyre is a good idea on a regular basis (if one remembers to do so :-[).

H

« Reply #93 on: 09 January, 2012, 08:13:49 pm »
Ok so the Chris king wheels fell through. What are your thoughts on the planet x a57 or model c wheelset. They look  perfect for me and come in at a good price any experiences?

« Reply #94 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:13:50 pm »
I would imagine that if you are cycling with Hamsterskins Gatorskins in an area free from flint then fine.

I live in Hampshire and have only had grim experiences of these

H
Here we go again . . .

My experience has been very different, both on my bikes & Mrs B's. I wouldn't generalise from that to say they're bulletproof, & given that I've met many other people with a favourable view of Gatorskins, I can't take seriously those people who say that since they once fitted one to a bike & had a puncture, they're useless tyres.

PS. I live in Reading, & do a lot of my cycling in flint-ridden country, where there's so much of the stuff they built walls & houses from it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #95 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:27:55 pm »
Ok so the Chris king wheels fell through. What are your thoughts on the planet x a57 or model c wheelset. They look  perfect for me and come in at a good price any experiences?

A significant number of very experienced audax riders have already made recommendations, and none have suggested cheap taiwanese factory built wheels!

Ring Spa.  Order Chrina rims on Ultegra hubs with Sapim Race spokes.  Buy a pair of Michelin Krylion Carbon 700x25c from Chain Reaction.  Then stop worrying about wheels and just ride your bike.   ;)

« Reply #96 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:54:27 pm »
Whatever you buy, *DON'T* get factory built wheels. Just don't.

There are plenty of wheelbuilders around. Big Al. Spa. Woodrups. Many others suggested by people on here. Just don't get factory built wheels, even if they say 'hand tuned'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #97 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:57:51 pm »
I'd get factory wheels if I had a couple of grand to spend and someone to come and rescue me at any time.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #98 on: 09 January, 2012, 11:08:45 pm »
Ok so factory wheels are a no no for audax. I may go for the a23 ultegra build.

« Reply #99 on: 10 January, 2012, 11:04:51 am »
Ok so factory wheels are a no no for audax. I may go for the a23 ultegra build.

It's not so much a "no no".
FWIW my OH rode her first 200 last w/e on cheapish low spoke count factory wheels - Fulcrum 7
More a case of minimising the chances of failure - if you have the choice.   If she'd broken a spoke it would have been a certain DNF.
With rims that are a known quantity (like the Chrina or the Open Pro) and a sufficiency of spokes (32 or better still 36) a broken spoke does not necessarily mean the end of the ride.
The A23 look like a very interesting rim.... but I don't know many on here or on CC who have it.