Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 76533 times)

Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #700 on: September 12, 2020, 05:03:32 am »
So, apparently we're going to have a La Nina this year, which would normally be good news, but with Covid and me, not even being certain I'm going to be in the province, I'm not sure if I should buy passes or not.
The border to the US is likely to remain closed, which should mean that Whistler might actually be worthwhile, so I'm leaning towards breaking my embargo on Whistler and getting a 5 day pass. Whistler will run a reservation system, so there will be a cap on how many people can be on the mountain. (Again, actually making it worthwhile to go)

My local hills are likely going to be overrun by locals in higher numbers than ever and with distancing restrictions, the line-up are going to be terrible, I suspect.

« Reply #701 on: September 12, 2020, 08:05:02 am »
For the first time in about 30 years, Clan Ham will not be skiing over Christmas :(

« Reply #702 on: September 12, 2020, 08:20:23 am »
The alternative would be to finally get that avalanche course done and start going backcountry...but that would require another $2k+ in new gear.

« Reply #703 on: September 12, 2020, 09:46:13 am »
Due to hols getting cancelled x2 I should be able to carry some leave over to next year, which means a ski tour could be on the cards, assuming the huts are open of course.
Rust never sleeps

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #704 on: September 13, 2020, 12:57:29 pm »
I have decided not to book anything until after Christmas. Then I will consider the state of play. There is no direct Eurostar which does not help. We also have the consequences of brexit to digest.

« Reply #705 on: September 13, 2020, 04:52:38 pm »
Buy your Euros now !!
Rust never sleeps

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #706 on: September 16, 2020, 03:04:33 pm »
I am watching the tdf climbing the col de Madelaine and col de Loze listening to commentators saying hard climbs and thinking Blue runs.

« Reply #707 on: September 16, 2020, 03:20:13 pm »
Isn't Madeleine road a green?

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #708 on: September 16, 2020, 03:24:05 pm »
It was blue when I skied it.   The main piste in St Francvois Longchamps is green.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #709 on: September 16, 2020, 04:40:10 pm »
It has changed a lot since I skied Valmorel. Pistes and lifts have changed.